Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend 3 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Real Racing topic #5614
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Had a bad day at the track" Previous topic | Next topic
jack_of_tradesJun-10-07 02:22 PM
Member since Oct 30th 2005
217 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#5614, "Had a bad day at the track"
Jun-10-07 02:31 PM by jack_of_trades

Well, I figured I would take my ESI up to New England Dragway and see how she was doing this year so far. Unfortunately, I made these plans on monday and everyday after that I had TONS to do to the car to get her ready.

My first issue was brake boosting. The car would NOT stay still even at 1500rpm's and the pedal would go to the floorboards. I replaced the front rotors,pads and bled the system yet it still was lurching a bit. Last year I could hold it dead still and build up around 3psi of boost at arouns 2-2.2K rpm's.

I wanted to leave the house at 3pm but by the time the brakes were done it was 4:15 so I was late already. Get to the track and my first run...well...it sucked. Pulled off a 15.280@90.xxMPH. WTF, I ran low 14's last saeason with a crappy setup. The best out of 3 runs was a 15.1. My launches were suffering greatly by the lurching during boost creep preventing me from building any boost at allat the srating line. The car also pulled very well (other than a lack of power) so I assumed I either had a crazy boost leak or my ATX was starting to hate the HP. Last year I pulled of a 2.0 second 60' time and I could barely keep it under 2.38 seconds this trip.

I finally got to check for boost leaks today and boy are there a lot! The bolts that clamp the compressor housing to the center section were seeping air thru the threads (teflon tape to the rescue), just about every goddam coupler was leaking on me, my TB gasket was leaking like crazy and the center section of my intake manifold has sprung a huge leak. Tomorrow I will fix these gaping holes in my system and head back up to the track soon. The turbo must have been pushing like 14psi just to get the 8psi at the intake manifold,lol. This thing WILL run a 13 second pass this season whether it wants to or not,lol. *end vent*

Jamie-
-AUTOMATIC turbo'd 95 Talon ESI@8psi (stock internals)14.0sec=1/4 mile

-2003 Mitsubishi Evo VIII

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Had a bad day at the track [View all] , jack_of_trades, Jun-10-07 02:22 PM
  RE: Had a bad day at the track, Moderatorcs82685, Jun-10-07 02:26 PM, #1
RE: Had a bad day at the track, Moderatorbullettdsm, Jun-11-07 10:18 AM, #2
RE: Had a bad day at the track, jack_of_trades, Jun-11-07 11:38 AM, #3
RE: Had a bad day at the track, 2gtalon420a, Jun-13-07 09:15 AM, #4
RE: Had a bad day at the track, shagnastyek9, Nov-10-07 04:24 AM, #5
RE: Had a bad day at the track, yzrider, Apr-10-08 06:57 AM, #6

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Real Racing topic #5614 Previous topic | Next topic