Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #2075
View in linear mode

Subject: "I have a shiz-load of questions boys" Previous topic | Next topic
cyanFeb-26-01 01:59 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2958 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2075, "I have a shiz-load of questions boys"

please excuse the clutter from seeing "cyan" in the author column so many times. after making my somewhat life changing decision to go turbo out of the blue almost, i was up all night last night researching and all. you all know im not usually one to post messages, im usually a replyer/critic but now im into unknown water so im the poster now. i searched previous posts but these are pretty specific questions so i couldnt find the answers i was looking for so read only the questions ive posted that interest you and ignore the rest.just put a number for the questions you reply to
here goes...
1-how relevant is engine mileage to a boosted motor? im at 82K now and just got the new cylinder head and 4 valves replaced at 81K. should that stop me from going turbo?
2-have any of you guys run 0-60 times in your turbo cars? i have seen the quarter mile times listed over and over, but im more interested in 0-60 times now and most importantly, what boost were you running when you got those times? i managed roughly an 8.8 with just an intake and muffler using a gradual launch cause i didnt want to burn tire or dump the clutch.so im curious if a turbo can cut more than 2 seconds from that.
3-if i get bad results from a compression test (what are bad numbers) should i not go turbo? what are the dangers of low/unequal compression if i turbo it? can low compression be fixed?
4-would a cold air extension on the compressors intake be of any advantage to an intercooled turbo or would cooling the air before it enters the intercooler just reduce the actual work the intercooler performs (thus making it less necessary to run higher boost)?
5-when considering the star vs. hrc turbos the question of daily driven power came to mind...where do you guys shift in daily driving? i read that the T3/T04 getting power at 3300 may be less useful in daily driving, but i shift at 3500-4000 daily anyways so what is the basis for this statement? id rather have that added high end power from the star kit.
6-how many here actually have the star kit besides wyatt? stage one or two? do you ever see boost during daily driving?
7-what kind of maintenance is needed on a turbo that is not required on NA motors? i know about cool-downs, do you guys use TT's, let the motor idle yourself, or just not cool-down at all?
8-what clutches are you guys using
9-and finally, does a turbo place extra wear on the tranny? if im gonna have to replace my tranny at some point while N/A i dont want to speed up the process with a turbo, cause as soon as i get the stage 2 i will probably start saving all my cash for internals.
thanks ahead of time to anyone who can go through this post with replies, i owe you
ps- i have an autometer A/F gauge i am trying to sell, damn ebay deadbeats. if anyone wants it make me an offer. i never used it cause carparts.com sent me an extra, but it does have a small dent on the bottom of the bezel (not noticeable at all, ill even offer a money back guarentee if you think the dent is unacceptable)
http://www.geocities.com/blue2gnt
blue2gnt@hotmail.com AOL IM - ThreeRedDiamonds
Star Stage 2: Coming Not-So Soon!

1995 Eclipse GS - HRC Stage 2 - Retired.
2004 350z Enthusiast / 2008 Nissan Versa SL

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Come on, help a brotha out, cyan, Feb-26-01 04:31 AM, #1
RE: I have a shiz-load of questions boys, MWC, Feb-26-01 04:49 AM, #2
here's some opinions and answers..., TeamJasonESi_T, Feb-26-01 05:10 AM, #3
Thanx Jason, took the words outta my mouth..., Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Feb-26-01 05:18 AM, #4
      RE: Weel fine then Jason, hog all the answers! :), MWC, Feb-26-01 07:06 AM, #5
      RE: Weel fine then Jason, hog all the answers! :), cyan, Feb-26-01 08:04 AM, #6
      darkone!, 95ESi, Feb-26-01 08:36 AM, #7
           RE: darkone!, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Feb-26-01 10:40 AM, #8
                e-trim, cyan, Feb-26-01 11:16 AM, #9
                     E trim..., Skrilla, Feb-26-01 11:49 AM, #10

cyanFeb-26-01 04:31 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2958 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2076, "Come on, help a brotha out"
In response to Reply # 0

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

MWCFeb-26-01 04:49 AM
Old School 2GNTer
251 posts,
#2077, "RE: I have a shiz-load of questions boys"
In response to Reply # 0

Hang i there, I got 3 min left on my lunch break, so I cant answer now. I will post answers around 3pm though. SEE YA!!!!!!!MWC

http://smkn95eclipsemwc.homestead.com/mainpage.html

TeamJasonESi_TFeb-26-01 05:10 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3107 posts,
#2078, "here's some opinions and answers..."
In response to Reply # 0

LAST EDITED ON 26-Feb-01 AT 10:15 AM (PST)

>1-how relevant is engine mileage to
>a boosted motor? im at
>82K now and just got
>the new cylinder head and
>4 valves replaced at 81K.
>should that stop me from
>going turbo?

It's very relevant, of course. Taking on over 50% extra power on a car not intended from stock to recieve it, is going to be dramatic. 82k difers a LOT from car to car, driver to driver. Like many here have recommended, do the compression test. Also, make sure you don't have any oil leaks. The compression will go lower and oil will leak in ANY CAR eventually, I think. (maybe at 50k for some cars and 300,000k for others) Should it stop you? It all depends...if your compression is lower or borderline bad, I would invest my money in redoing my gaskets and seals first...possibly your internals as well. Then going turbo. It's all order-oriented and is all according to NEED. You can ALWAYS go turbo.

>2-have any of you guys run
>0-60 times in your turbo
>cars?

No, not me...

i have seen the
>quarter mile times listed over
>and over, but im more
>interested in 0-60 times now
>and most importantly, what boost
>were you running when you
>got those times? i managed
>roughly an 8.8 with just
>an intake and muffler using
>a gradual launch cause i
>didnt want to burn tire
>or dump the clutch.so im
>curious if a turbo can
>cut more than 2 seconds
>from that.

All I can say is I can be even 2 or 3 cars behind a stock RS and I close REAL FAST and pass when he's at full throttle and I'm at 3/4 throttle. It's a HUGE difference man...

>3-if i get bad results from
>a compression test (what are
>bad numbers) should i not
>go turbo? what are the
>dangers of low/unequal compression if
>i turbo it? can low
>compression be fixed?

Yes, just like I said above. You just need to rebuild your engine. Get all those nice seals, gaskets and so forth and mayb go the extra distance with the upgraded internals. So long as your block is solid, you're okay. After you do that, you can recheck your compression and you should be back at stock levels or maybe a bit lower if you go upgraded, lower compression internals.

>4-would a cold air extension on
>the compressors intake be of
>any advantage to an intercooled
>turbo or would cooling the
>air before it enters the
>intercooler just reduce the actual
>work the intercooler performs (thus
>making it less necessary to
>run higher boost)?

Sure, 4g63 guys use cold air intakes as well. I agree with your assumption that it would lessen the amount of work your intercooler would have to endure to bring temps down to ambient air temperatures. Lowering Intake Air Temps allows you to run higher boost as the lower temps stave off detonation.

>5-when considering the star vs. hrc
>turbos the question of daily
>driven power came to mind...where
>do you guys shift in
>daily driving? i read that
>the T3/T04 getting power at
>3300 may be less useful
>in daily driving, but i
>shift at 3500-4000 daily anyways
>so what is the basis
>for this statement? id rather
>have that added high end
>power from the star kit.

I wouldn't NOT choose STAR for fear of slow spool-up speed. That was my fear initially, but it's not anymore. If you're at full spool-up at 3300 with STAR, that's plenty fine. It's all throttle position anyhow, not so much RPM level. NEITHER of these turbos will experience boost drop-off though. Both have their power ranges in the mid-to-high RPM's.

A "different" quick spool up turbo would be a T-25 or T-28. Neither the T04/03 or S-16g are OEM-type fast spool-up turbos. Those factory turbo usually spool up ridiculously fast but run out of steam at about 5000+ rpms. That's because most drivers never have their rpms there, but under 4000 rpms. Factory turbo are intended to make power then.

>
>6-how many here actually have the
>star kit besides wyatt? stage
>one or two? do you
>ever see boost during daily
>driving?

No STAR here of course. But daily driving...damn yes! How could I not. For my turbo, I can avoid spooling up, but it's damn hard. I have to feather the throttle and stay below 3500 rpm's. Typically, I don't go full boost, but somewhere near 2-3 psi without even trying. Just enjoyable brisk driving.

>7-what kind of maintenance is needed
>on a turbo that is
>not required on NA motors?
>i know about cool-downs, do
>you guys use TT's, let
>the motor idle yourself, or
>just not cool-down at all?
>

I don't have a TT. I have so many other toys I buy, I really don't have a spare 100 to throw at a TT. However, I do always cool down. I typically always wait about 30 seconds to a minute. I'll cool down longer when I've really pushed it. The EGT gives me a great frame of reference as I wait for those temps to drop lower than 950 degrees or so. I do a ton of other maintenance that I've talked about in numerous other posts. Check all your lines and oil(SYNTHETIC) all the time basically. Also keep an eye on fuel pressure. Watch your egt's and A/f meter as well. You should know all this though.

>8-what clutches are you guys using
>

Stock. holds perfect.

>9-and finally, does a turbo place
>extra wear on the tranny?

HRC still uses stock tranny at over 400 horses.

New clutch though.

Jason
98' Eagle Talon ESi-T
Mitsu Super 16g Turbo(HRC)

http://springfielddsm.homestead.com/JasonsPics.html

04' BMW 325Ci
91' Nissan 240SX
98' Eagle Talon ESi (sold)

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneFeb-26-01 05:18 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#2079, "Thanx Jason, took the words outta my mouth..."
In response to Reply # 3

Saved me the trouble of typing all those same answers !

I can say, though, that my T3/TO4E hits full spool at about half throttle, maybe 3000 RPM. It's actually harder for me to NOT boost that it is to hit full boost.

-DarkOne
I'm so bad, i should be in detention.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

MWCFeb-26-01 07:06 AM
Old School 2GNTer
251 posts,
#2080, "RE: Weel fine then Jason, hog all the answers! :)"
In response to Reply # 4

http://smkn95eclipsemwc.homestead.com/mainpage.html

cyanFeb-26-01 08:04 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2958 posts,
#2081, "RE: Weel fine then Jason, hog all the answers! :)"
In response to Reply # 5

what kind of lag are you guys getting form the T3/4
if you got the BB or E-time make sure and note that.
i hope you guys arent the type to post saying your turbo doesnt lag even if it really does just to defend star, but if thats the case just email me
so is the lag about the blink of an eye, the length of a quick inhalation or breath, or like maybe a full second or more. i dont know what a typical turbo lag is, so fill me in. (shouldnt turbo lag only be relatable on a manual tranny, cause an auto already has lag that adds to the turbo lag, so just post if your a MT

95ESiFeb-26-01 08:36 AM
Old School 2GNTer
842 posts,
#2082, "darkone!"
In response to Reply # 4

You hit full boost at half throttle? I don't even hit full boost, let alone boost unless there's load on my engine!!!

is it cause i have an auto?

l e o n

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneFeb-26-01 10:40 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#2083, "RE: darkone!"
In response to Reply # 7

LAST EDITED ON 26-Feb-01 AT 03:45 PM (PST)

Might be. What i was saying (or meant to say) was that i hit full spool, not full boost. Which is to say that if i give it any more gas or stay in it any longer, i'll start boosting.
as in, i can spool the turbo to 0psi (full spool) at half throttle at about 3000RPM.

Cyan: I'm a manual, e trim. I do get serious lag, depending on throttle and gear. Almost none at WOT in any gear.

-DarkOne
I'm so bad, i should be in detention.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

cyanFeb-26-01 11:16 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2958 posts,
#2084, "e-trim"
In response to Reply # 8

what exactly is different about the t4 with the e-trim?

SkrillaFeb-26-01 11:49 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1868 posts,
#2085, "E trim..."
In response to Reply # 9

LAST EDITED ON 26-Feb-01 AT 04:50 PM (PST)

...in the Standard Star Kit the b trim uses an older turbo design that is not as effiecient. It doesn't take too long to spool but takes longer to cool. The E trim is a fairly new hybrid turbo that is not only bigger but more advanced, and even though it's a bigger turbo and more capable of power, it even spools as fast as the older b trim. The 600+ plus dollar BB option in the E trim is a pretty amazing spinner. Anyway if you get the turbo at least use the E trim as opposed to the b. Both come in 40 series sized compressors all the way up to the 60(like 900HP turbos)

Skrilla
'97 Base Talon NA
"Technology: The Only Replacement for Displacement"
"Peace and Turbo Grease"

*Skrilla
"Honest officer, I thought you were trying to race me"
Talon: 1st 2.4L
'97 Prelude
'04 350Z

Originally posted by YourInMyMirror95GS
dick teaser's should be rounded up and shot in the forehead
Originally posted by etx
Good luck man! Project 'STFU Brian your talon is dead meat' should be on it's feet soon!
Originally posted by Dark0ne
Thanks. Now excuse me while i fuck your sister.
"fuck all motor" -turbo ate you

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #2075 Previous topic | Next topic