Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #8798
View in linear mode

Subject: "Motor hesitation and exhaust popping sound...please help" Previous topic | Next topic
FlyinEsiApr-08-05 04:27 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5187 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8798, "Motor hesitation and exhaust popping sound...please help"

Ever since I put on the 3" downpipe w/ no cat, I have been having issues with the car at WOT. I did notice the downpipe let the boost go higher than my dsmlink is set for. It is peaking out at ~20psi when I just reset my fuel curve for ~18psi, but I tend to set my fuel curve really leaned out anyway. But then when I was over at Taloniized house last night I noticed my fuel pressure gauge is reading almost 60 at idle. Isn't that supposed to be at 42psi???? And is that 42 w/ the vacuum line connected or disconnected???

I also lowered my boost last night from ~20 to ~15 and it felt like it was fixed last night, but then it started doing it again on the freeway today on my drive to work. I need help with this before my long drive to CA or before all the AZ2gnt guys get together for a dyno day.

Any other advice on what could be wrong with my car is greatly appreciated. Thx guys.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Motor hesitation and exhaust popping sound...please help, HybriDSM, Apr-08-05 04:43 AM, #1
RE: Motor hesitation and exhaust popping sound...please help, Uberingram, Apr-08-05 05:27 AM, #2
RE: Motor hesitation and exhaust popping sound...please help, FlyinEsi, Apr-08-05 08:12 AM, #3
      RE: Motor hesitation and exhaust popping sound...please help, BigBald, Apr-08-05 08:40 AM, #4
           RE: Motor hesitation and exhaust popping sound...please help, FlyinEsi, Apr-08-05 09:09 AM, #5
                RE: Motor hesitation and exhaust popping sound...please help, 420a-Tnthewerks, Apr-08-05 09:40 AM, #6
                     RE: Motor hesitation and exhaust popping sound...please help, FlyinEsi, Apr-08-05 10:05 AM, #7
                          RE: Motor hesitation and exhaust popping sound...please help, BigBald, Apr-08-05 10:09 AM, #8
                               RE: Motor hesitation and exhaust popping sound...please help, FlyinEsi, Apr-08-05 10:13 AM, #9
                                    RE: Motor hesitation and exhaust popping sound...please help, BigBald, Apr-08-05 12:32 PM, #10
                                         RE: Motor hesitation and exhaust popping sound...please help, FlyinEsi, Apr-08-05 12:37 PM, #11
                                              RE: Motor hesitation and exhaust popping sound...please help, BigBald, Apr-08-05 02:17 PM, #12
                                                   RE: Motor hesitation and exhaust popping sound...please help, HybriDSM, Apr-08-05 02:56 PM, #13
                                                        RE: Motor hesitation and exhaust popping sound...please help, PowerEclipses, Apr-08-05 08:15 PM, #14
                                                             RE: Motor hesitation and exhaust popping sound...please help, BigBald, Apr-09-05 02:11 AM, #15
                                                                  RE: Motor hesitation and exhaust popping sound...please help, TeamJeff_99gs, Apr-09-05 05:39 AM, #16
                                                                       RE: Motor hesitation and exhaust popping sound...please help, kelvinb1, Apr-09-05 09:00 AM, #17
                                                                            RE: Motor hesitation and exhaust popping sound...please help, Vandy420a, Apr-11-05 03:32 AM, #18
                                                                                 RE: Motor hesitation and exhaust popping sound...please help, FlyinEsi, Apr-11-05 04:35 AM, #19
                                                                                      RE: Motor hesitation and exhaust popping sound...please help, Vandy420a, Apr-11-05 06:34 AM, #20
                                                                                           RE: Motor hesitation and exhaust popping sound...please help, kelvinb1, Apr-11-05 12:35 PM, #21
                                                                                                RE: Motor hesitation and exhaust popping sound...please help, FlyinEsi, Apr-12-05 09:22 AM, #22
                                                                                                     RE: Motor hesitation and exhaust popping sound...please help, Vandy420a, Apr-12-05 01:01 PM, #23
                                                                                                     RE: Motor hesitation and exhaust popping sound...please help, kelvinb1, Apr-12-05 02:15 PM, #24
                                                                                                          RE: Motor hesitation and exhaust popping sound...please help, FlyinEsi, Apr-13-05 04:31 AM, #25

HybriDSMApr-08-05 04:43 AM
Member since Aug 07th 2002
2407 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8799, "RE: Motor hesitation and exhaust popping sound...please help"
In response to Reply # 0
Apr-08-05 04:45 AM by HybriDSM

FP at idle should be 43 with no vacuum line and ~38 with it on.

Remind me what turbo you are running again. Did you port the turbine housing and wastegate hole if it's a 16g or smaller? Boost creep could be an issue with a 3" turbo back.

What do you DSMLink logs look like?

New plugs and wires?

It's running again shitheads.

http://www.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=791

HybriDSM@gmail.com ; HybriDSM@hotmail.com

Think for yourself. Question authority does not always mean disagree with authority.

If life were perfect, I'd be Calvin and you'd be Hobbes.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

UberingramApr-08-05 05:27 AM
Donating 2GNT member
10001 posts,
#8800, "RE: Motor hesitation and exhaust popping sound...please help"
In response to Reply # 1

It's a Super 16G.

FlyinEsiApr-08-05 08:12 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5187 posts,
#8801, "RE: Motor hesitation and exhaust popping sound...please help"
In response to Reply # 1
Apr-08-05 08:13 AM by FlyinEsi

Originally posted by HybriDSM
FP at idle should be 43 with no vacuum line and ~38 with it on. Remind me what turbo you are running again. Did you port the turbine housing and wastegate hole if it's a 16g or smaller? Boost creep could be an issue with a 3" turbo back. What do you DSMLink logs look like? New plugs and wires?

Turbo is a Big1G from RRE ported & clipped (I think) and ported 02 housing.

DSMlink logs look pretty clean. My timing usually gets down to the 7* range, but not horrible, and I have absolutely no knock across the whole range, but if I lean out just a couple more % points then I start getting knock. O2 reading stays normal, and my A/F ratio stays normal.

I was also thinking about new plugs or wires. Both were replaced about a year ago. Probably time for new plugs for sure, will have to check the wires.

BigBaldApr-08-05 08:40 AM
Member since Oct 22nd 2002
2715 posts,
#8802, "RE: Motor hesitation and exhaust popping sound...please help"
In response to Reply # 3

You are probably creeping....16g's are notorious for creeping. Do a third gear pull and watch your boost gauge. If it goes higher then what you set it at then you have creep. 3" Downpipe will make a 16g creep if it isn't ported to hell.

1995 GST - Who the hell knows

FlyinEsiApr-08-05 09:09 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5187 posts,
#8803, "RE: Motor hesitation and exhaust popping sound...please help"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by BigBald
You are probably creeping....16g's are notorious for creeping. Do a third gear pull and watch your boost gauge. If it goes higher then what you set it at then you have creep. 3" Downpipe will make a 16g creep if it isn't ported to hell.

It is not creeping...it is higher than I set it, but it does that from 4000-7500, once it gets to 20 it stops. And doesn't creep, just goes straight there.

Now I have my boost set at approx 15psi and it does not go beyond 15, but my motor still hesitates and every time it does that it sends a backfire or some kind of popping sound out the exhaust.

420a-TnthewerksApr-08-05 09:40 AM
Member since Jun 11th 2004
2267 posts,
#8804, "RE: Motor hesitation and exhaust popping sound...please help"
In response to Reply # 5

My bet is on the plugs. Might as well get new wires too.

FlyinEsiApr-08-05 10:05 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5187 posts,
#8805, "RE: Motor hesitation and exhaust popping sound...please help"
In response to Reply # 6

The more I think about how lean I run, I probably am burning out my plugs... we'll see, I will pull them for sure on Saturday.

BigBaldApr-08-05 10:09 AM
2715 posts,
#8806, "RE: Motor hesitation and exhaust popping sound...please help"
In response to Reply # 7

so you set it to 18psi and it goes to 20? if it runs higher then you set it then it is creep. Unless I am misunderstanding you.

FlyinEsiApr-08-05 10:13 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5187 posts,
#8807, "RE: Motor hesitation and exhaust popping sound...please help"
In response to Reply # 8

It was set to 18 and now it goes to 20 but stays there...it was always my impression that boost creep meant that it kept going up...my boost gauge never hits 18 it goes right past it to 20, like it was set there and then stays there until redline.

BigBaldApr-08-05 12:32 PM
2715 posts,
#8808, "RE: Motor hesitation and exhaust popping sound...please help"
In response to Reply # 9

Originally posted by FlyinEsi
It was set to 18 and now it goes to 20 but stays there...it was always my impression that boost creep meant that it kept going up...my boost gauge never hits 18 it goes right past it to 20, like it was set there and then stays there until redline.

no...Creep doesn't mean it keeps going. Some poeple only creep one or two psi somtimes. USUALLY, it slows down where you want it set to, and then creeps. If you have it real bad it will, it will just keep going and going. If it is stopping at 20psi, it would seem that you set boost to 20psi. What makes you think it should be only 18psi?

FlyinEsiApr-08-05 12:37 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5187 posts,
#8809, "RE: Motor hesitation and exhaust popping sound...please help"
In response to Reply # 10

It was right at 18psi before I put the 3" downpipe on.

BigBaldApr-08-05 02:17 PM
2715 posts,
#8810, "RE: Motor hesitation and exhaust popping sound...please help"
In response to Reply # 11

I see now....seems like it creeped two psi. Just turn it down to 18psi again.

HybriDSMApr-08-05 02:56 PM
Member since Aug 07th 2002
2407 posts,
#8811, "RE: Motor hesitation and exhaust popping sound...please help"
In response to Reply # 12

Have you checked the condition of your MBC? It sounds a little bit like creep, but adding the DP could have just changed how the MBC sets the boost. A malfunctioning MBC will sometimes lead to inconsistent regulation of the PSI levels, but it does sound a tiny bit like creep, but if it stays rock solid at 20, I really doubt it's creep.

Once you changed it back down to 15, how did you verify that you went exactly back to where you 18 before? If you have an electronic controlelr, all these questions are useless.

Also, I like the idea of changing you plugs and wires. Might as well do it as maintenance anyway and eliminate a possibility.

It's running again shitheads.

http://www.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=791

HybriDSM@gmail.com ; HybriDSM@hotmail.com

Think for yourself. Question authority does not always mean disagree with authority.

If life were perfect, I'd be Calvin and you'd be Hobbes.

PowerEclipsesApr-08-05 08:15 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3215 posts,
#8812, "RE: Motor hesitation and exhaust popping sound...please help"
In response to Reply # 13

i bet its the wires... my car did that for a while until i changed the wires, it would studder while taking it up to redline sounds like iginition or some sort

Boca Raton, Florida
95 Eclipse GS- sold
99 Eclipse GSX- 386awhp
98 Eclipse GS- sold
92 Prelude

BigBaldApr-09-05 02:11 AM
2715 posts,
#8813, "RE: Motor hesitation and exhaust popping sound...please help"
In response to Reply # 14
Apr-09-05 02:12 AM by BigBald

nah,,,its sounds like Hybrid's first comment that the DP Altered Exhaust Flow whiched changed how boost was set. Very possible. Adjust the MBC till you get 18psi on the gauge and see what happens. Make sure everything is Zero'd out on DSMLink also to verify its not your tune causing the hesitation.

TeamJeff_99gsApr-09-05 05:39 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
#8814, "RE: Motor hesitation and exhaust popping sound...please help"
In response to Reply # 15

Boost creep. Reset the MBC and watch the boost like everyone already said. If it goes to 20 again it is creep.

When I had my stock 14B with the 3" turbo-back it would creep to 20 and stay there too. I ported the bejesus out of the wastegate hole and turbine housing and it went away.

kelvinb1Apr-09-05 09:00 AM
Member since Apr 06th 2004
1543 posts,
#8815, "RE: Motor hesitation and exhaust popping sound...please help"
In response to Reply # 16

Originally posted by Jeff_99gs
Boost creep. Reset the MBC and watch the boost like everyone already said. If it goes to 20 again it is creep. When I had my stock 14B with the 3" turbo-back it would creep to 20 and stay there too. I ported the bejesus out of the wastegate hole and turbine housing and it went away.

mine did the same. im on a factory controller and it will sit at about 10psi and creeps to about 17psi and sticks there through 7k. your missing sounds like plugs/wires. Mine did this at high rpm's, I was on factory wires, and plugs were platinums

Vandy420aApr-11-05 03:32 AM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
2037 posts,
#8816, "RE: Motor hesitation and exhaust popping sound...please help"
In response to Reply # 17

this is in total disagreement wiht everyone else, but i'm gonna take a shot in the dark here: Is it doing it at partial throttle or full, or both? Are you running an AFPR?

i have SERIOUS issues with my evo16g at partial throttle---i'm gonna get an AFPR and see if that helps in the tuning, but basically I can't tune to where I want to be at WOT if I want the car to be drivable, or if I tune to WOT I can't go under partial boost past 4k...

also, is your boost guage memory peak/hold?

---------------------------------------

Black 98 GST missing her owner and looking for a new one...Inquiries welcome

FlyinEsiApr-11-05 04:35 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5187 posts,
#8817, "RE: Motor hesitation and exhaust popping sound...please help"
In response to Reply # 18

Problem fixed, it was the spark plugs, they were hella black...guess I need to richen up the mixture a little bit. .

Vandy420aApr-11-05 06:34 AM
2037 posts,
#8818, "RE: Motor hesitation and exhaust popping sound...please help"
In response to Reply # 19

hella black means its too rich...white buildup indicates lean

kelvinb1Apr-11-05 12:35 PM
1543 posts,
#8819, "RE: Motor hesitation and exhaust popping sound...please help"
In response to Reply # 20

Originally posted by Vandy420a
hella black means its too rich...white buildup indicates lean

true dat. lean that bitch out. wideband time?

FlyinEsiApr-12-05 09:22 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5187 posts,
#8820, "RE: Motor hesitation and exhaust popping sound...please help"
In response to Reply # 21

Dammit, I want a wideband, but I really want to stop spending so much fucking money on this car. *Ugh* I just wish it would run perfectly and leave my wallet alone for like a year.

Vandy420aApr-12-05 01:01 PM
2037 posts,
#8821, "RE: Motor hesitation and exhaust popping sound...please help"
In response to Reply # 22

*Ugh* I just wish it would run perfectly and leave my wallet alone for like a year.

kelvinb1Apr-12-05 02:15 PM
1543 posts,
#8822, "RE: Motor hesitation and exhaust popping sound...please help"
In response to Reply # 22

Dammit, I want a wideband, but I really want to stop spending so much fucking money on this car. *Ugh* I just wish it would run perfectly and leave my wallet alone for like a year.

wideband would help lots or you could do the unthinkable *back to stock* that would stop you from wasting money

FlyinEsiApr-13-05 04:31 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5187 posts,
#8823, "RE: Motor hesitation and exhaust popping sound...please help"
In response to Reply # 24

Originally posted by kelvinb1
Originally posted by FlyinEsi Dammit, I want a wideband, but I really want to stop spending so much fucking money on this car. *Ugh* I just wish it would run perfectly and leave my wallet alone for like a year.
wideband would help lots or you could do the unthinkable *back to stock* that would stop you from wasting money

NEVER!!!!!!

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #8798 Previous topic | Next topic