Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #568
View in linear mode

Subject: "This really sucks!!!" Previous topic | Next topic
MFGRacing90GSXMar-19-06 06:47 PM
Member since Oct 14th 2005
86 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#568, "This really sucks!!!"

Alright today sucks, from the top.
So I go out to the shop today because today is startup day for the GSX. Finished up some minor things, fluids, connections, DEAD battery, Well we plug in the laptop to the megasquirt, calibrate wideband & after a few tries, she fires up & runs decent runs for about 10 min. then I change the oil. make minor changes to ignition & tighten lug nuts & take her out for a spin. We ease the car for about 10 min or so, slightly boostin a little to hear the new FP3052 spooling, WOW ball bearing is alot different than a standard wet bearing turbo. anywho... sounds great. Since the car has not ran in 3 months I had drained the fuel. SO I FILL it up with 93, which is $2.85 a gallon. when leaving I gas the car to see what I am boosting as, the tial wastegate has a 15psi spring. So I boost 13psi, the open dump wastegate opens & DAMN its loud. well I am loving the car, so we decide to install the boost controller. Well after installing it I turn the boost to 19psi. DAMN it pulls really hard, the the laptop dies. We have no idea what the duty cycle is or AFR. So we head home to charge the laptop, well on the way 2 miles away, I get on it for a long pull from 3 to 4th, middle of 4th WOT its pulling really hard, then I only have half that power, I let off & smoke is everywhere. & it's missing badly. so I limp it home I pull in the the shop raise the hood & it looks like a 3 ft N20 purge coming out of me valve cover breather with 2 qts of oil all over the left side of the engine. serious blowby. the results are 3 broken pistons. The cause: the 450cc injectors were in, not the 720cc, & I know I was a 85percent duty cycle @ 13psi, so yeah 19 psi I def. ran out of fuel.
NOTE TO ALL, Take your time & monitor EVERYTHING, laptop dies, CHARGE IT, don't boost untill you know your not maxing out injectors
& have the correct AFR
So now I am in serious need of pistons & rods jE pistons & Eagle rods is what I need,std. or .020 over 7.8.1CR to 9.0.1CR for a 1990 6bolt If anyone knows anyone I am willing to buy trade, whatever it takes, I need to have the car running in a week & a half. PLEASE HELP GUYS.... Email @ MFG.Racing@Gmail.com

Matt
MFG Racing

http://dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=1310

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: This really sucks!!!, ModeratoreclipzGST, Mar-19-06 06:55 PM, #1
RE: This really sucks!!!, Diceman19, Mar-19-06 08:47 PM, #2
      RE: This really sucks!!!, MFGRacing90GSX, Mar-20-06 06:43 PM, #3
           RE: This really sucks!!!, 97eclipse97, Mar-21-06 03:24 PM, #4
                RE: This really sucks!!!, RST95eclipse, Mar-21-06 04:50 PM, #5
                RE: This really sucks!!!, MFGRacing90GSX, Mar-27-06 12:47 PM, #6
                     RE: This really sucks!!!, TeamJeff_99gs, Mar-27-06 01:58 PM, #7
                          RE: This really sucks!!!, Dualgen2, Mar-29-06 08:25 AM, #8
                               RE: This really sucks!!!, MFGRacing90GSX, Mar-30-06 08:43 AM, #9
                                    RE: This really sucks!!!, kelvinb1, Mar-31-06 12:01 PM, #10
                                         RE: This really sucks!!!, Teamdougie2, Mar-31-06 06:26 PM, #11

ModeratoreclipzGSTMar-19-06 06:55 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#569, "RE: This really sucks!!!"
In response to Reply # 0
Mar-19-06 06:58 PM by eclipzGST

whoa. Sorry to hear it dude. At least hopefully someone will learn something from this...
Check, check and double check. I'm surprised you didn't notice earlier even with what little logging you had done. 450's and 720's are a "little" bit of a difference.

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Diceman19Mar-19-06 08:47 PM
Donating 2GNT member
4629 posts,
#570, "RE: This really sucks!!!"
In response to Reply # 1

this isnt intended to be mean but it will come out that way.

why in the f-ck are you boosting the crap out of a brand new motor and with no logging? ever heard of break in? just because the battery dies is no excuse to go blasting through third and fourth gear to see what she has. you have much to learn if you plan to keep your car running. you should have driven that car like a grandma to your house to get another laptop battery before going any further. knowledge is power and if you have no idea what the car is doing, you cant tune, make more power, or just turn up the boost to see what its got in it, wont work, as you have obviously found out the hard way.

MFGRacing90GSXMar-20-06 06:43 PM
86 posts,
#571, "RE: This really sucks!!!"
In response to Reply # 2

ok had time to think about my stupidity, Having the boost bug really sucks, makes people not think. well all you new guys building new setups, take your time, don't get ahead of yourself. Fight that temptation to boost until the car is ready & not you being ready. You will always be ready but the car needs its time to settle in.
If anyone can help out i am in need of a shortblock, preferably Weisco pistons Eagle rods, or ross pistons. used or not, I need something.

Matt
MFG Racing

97eclipse97Mar-21-06 03:24 PM
Member since Jul 29th 2003
695 posts,
#572, "RE: This really sucks!!!"
In response to Reply # 3

So did you know your 450's were still in, or did you forget that you didn't install the 720's? If you knew the 450's were in, there is no way you should have driven the car at all...

'95 GSX - New motor/turbo going in...
'95 TSi AWD - For sale...buy me!
'03.5 MazdaSpeed Protege - Stock daily driver
'97 CBR 600 - Purple is a real man's color

RST95eclipseMar-21-06 04:50 PM
Member since Oct 19th 2004
403 posts,
#573, "RE: This really sucks!!!"
In response to Reply # 4
Mar-21-06 04:50 PM by RST95eclipse

That sucks. It's a mistake. I'll be nice though.......Next time, take it easy.

MFGRacing90GSXMar-27-06 12:47 PM
86 posts,
#574, "RE: This really sucks!!!"
In response to Reply # 4
Mar-27-06 12:52 PM by MFGRacing90GSX

The 450cc injectors were put in the get the car idleing, but when the car was idling the forced performance 3052 was awsome, we were a bit exitied the car has finally ran with that setup. So we forgot about swapping to the 720s. Just a dumb mistake, however kinda worth it, I now have Wiseco coated & Gas port Pistons with a set of Eagle H Beam rod to go with them.

Matt
MFG Racing

TeamJeff_99gsMar-27-06 01:58 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
#575, "RE: This really sucks!!!"
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by MFGRacing90GSX
I now have Wiseco coated & Gas port Pistons with a set of Eagle H Beam rod to go with them.

I'm glad you are not going with the JE pistons this time. I came here to suggest something other than JE

Dualgen2Mar-29-06 08:25 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3726 posts,
#576, "RE: This really sucks!!!"
In response to Reply # 7
Mar-29-06 08:27 AM by Dualgen2

Sucks but once you get the right fuel (injectors) and a basic tune a lot of people do 3rd gear pulls to break in the new motor. Just not on high boost. Why would you baby the new motor and not let all the seals, etc, set? That would defeat the purpose of breaking in the new motor IMO. Also change the oil a couple times at like 100 and 500 miles. Matt, HybriDSM, did the same thing on his break in when I rode in his GSX.

2009 Corolla S - waiting until 2012 for my next toy!
*SOLD* 1992 3000GT VR4 - pearl white and 45,6xx miles!
*SOLD* 2007 Subaru Legacy GT sedan
*SOLD* 95 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 - BPU
*SOLD* 97 Eclipse GS Star Stage 2

MFGRacing90GSXMar-30-06 08:43 AM
86 posts,
#577, "RE: This really sucks!!!"
In response to Reply # 8

Yes, on my research wiseco was the better choice. Arias was my 2nd choice. The piston was made to how I wanted instead of how everyone else is running std wiseco's. Tomorrow me & brother "Dougie2" are pickin our blocks up from the machine shop. So ETA on the motors running, possibly 2 weeks... Also, The way we have always had best luck setting in the rings were to get the motor around 235deg. then letting them cool 100% down, after that, rings have always seemed to be seated in properly. Those motors are still running to this day. Also back to the piston issue. Anyone know if jE has fixed the problem with clearance issues. Alot of people have had good luck with jE Pistons when the clearances are set further apart than what jE says to machine block to. What jE says seems to be too tight causing internals to sieze up. If anyone has any other TIPS for a better break in period never hurts to have more than 1 or 2 tips. Thanks all

Matt
MFG Racing

kelvinb1Mar-31-06 12:01 PM
Member since Apr 06th 2004
1543 posts,
#578, "RE: This really sucks!!!"
In response to Reply # 9

break in your motor nt style, then boost the shit out of it

Teamdougie2Mar-31-06 06:26 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2982 posts,
#579, "RE: This really sucks!!!"
In response to Reply # 10

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Read that. That's how I break in motors, the right way. Most of what the article says is true.

Doug

Xtreme Performance Services

Race Engines · Transmissions · Turbo Systems · EFI & Tuning · Fabrication · Welding
www.xtremefabrications.com

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #568 Previous topic | Next topic