Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #3777
View in linear mode

Subject: "Car Vibration!" Previous topic | Next topic
customrsturboJan-12-04 10:29 AM
Member since Oct 06th 2003
249 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3777, "Car Vibration!"

My friend has a 1997 GST. It was having some vibration problems. I check the balance shaft and the tensioner was kind of loose. I fix that and the vibration went away. Now, he is telling me that after 65mph, the car start to vibrate. Something wierd is that there is almost no space between the bottom of the engine/transmission and the black frame support that goes from the bottom radiator support to the back of the engine maybe, maybe .25 inch separation. Well, I changed the broken side engine and front engine mounts, but still the same. The other two are in good condition and there still no space between the engine/transmission and the support.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Car Vibration!, HybriDSM, Jan-12-04 10:33 AM, #1
RE: Car Vibration!, customrsturbo, Jan-12-04 10:48 AM, #2
      RE: Car Vibration!, ModeratoreclipzGST, Jan-12-04 01:22 PM, #3
      RE: Car Vibration!, customrsturbo, Jan-12-04 02:18 PM, #4
           RE: Car Vibration!, ModeratoreclipzGST, Jan-12-04 02:22 PM, #5
                RE: Car Vibration!, customrsturbo, Jan-12-04 03:08 PM, #6
                     RE: Car Vibration!, TeamJeff_99gs, Jan-12-04 03:51 PM, #7
                          RE: Car Vibration!, customrsturbo, Jan-12-04 04:07 PM, #8
                               RE: Car Vibration!, ModeratoreclipzGST, Jan-12-04 04:13 PM, #9
                                    RE: Car Vibration!, TeamJeff_99gs, Jan-12-04 04:15 PM, #10
                                    RE: Car Vibration!, customrsturbo, Jan-12-04 04:17 PM, #11
                                         RE: Car Vibration!, TeamJeff_99gs, Jan-12-04 06:32 PM, #12
                                              RE: Car Vibration!, chaye, Jan-12-04 09:10 PM, #13
                                                   RE: Car Vibration!, Vandy420a, Jan-12-04 09:29 PM, #14
                                                        RE: Car Vibration!, customrsturbo, Jan-13-04 02:47 AM, #15
      RE: Car Vibration!, SaberKhan, Jan-14-04 10:16 AM, #16
           RE: Car Vibration!, SaberKhan, Jan-14-04 07:09 PM, #17
                RE: Car Vibration!, customrsturbo, Jan-15-04 09:40 AM, #18
RE: Car Vibration!, scottfreeman80, Jan-15-04 10:52 AM, #19
RE: Car Vibration!, customrsturbo, Feb-02-04 09:04 AM, #20
      RE: Car Vibration!, Vandy420a, Feb-02-04 02:30 PM, #21
           RE: Car Vibration!, customrsturbo, Feb-03-04 04:49 AM, #22
                RE: Car Vibration!, oRACLe063, Feb-03-04 07:05 AM, #23
                     RE: Car Vibration!, Vandy420a, Feb-03-04 08:31 AM, #24
                     RE: Car Vibration!, customrsturbo, Feb-05-04 10:28 AM, #25

HybriDSMJan-12-04 10:33 AM
Member since Aug 07th 2002
2407 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3778, "RE: Car Vibration!"
In response to Reply # 0
Jan-12-04 10:33 AM by HybriDSM

Well, I for one have noticed that both cars I have, a '91 GSX and '92 Acura Vigor get the shakes between 65 and 70 MPH (and a bit higher) on the highway. There is noticable vibration at that speed in both cars, which I think is perfectly normal. I don't have the slightest clue as to your exact situation, but vibration at speed is normal as far as I know. No problems have arisen out of either car as a result of this vibrating.

Not particularly helpful I guess but it might just be simple harmless vibration.

It's running again shitheads.

http://www.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=791

HybriDSM@gmail.com ; HybriDSM@hotmail.com

Think for yourself. Question authority does not always mean disagree with authority.

If life were perfect, I'd be Calvin and you'd be Hobbes.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

customrsturboJan-12-04 10:48 AM
249 posts,
#3779, "RE: Car Vibration!"
In response to Reply # 1

I know him like 2 years now. Since he has the car I notice, yes, a little vibration. In November 2003, he was going to west Palm Beach and in I-95 he hit a bump. His slave line broke, don't know how. He was probably at 65-75mph. Could that hit cause the support to bend and to get the shaft balance so loose? Is there anyway that I can raise the engine/transmission from the support? Because with that vibration the engine/transm. hits the support and make noise. Also, the driver side rubber cushion in the middle of the axle is loose. You can turn the rubber over the axle.
Thanks

ModeratoreclipzGSTJan-12-04 01:22 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#3780, "RE: Car Vibration!"
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by customrsturbo
Also, the driver side rubber cushion in the middle of the axle is loose. You can turn the rubber over the axle. Thanks

that would be the CV boot. If the CV boot is torn or damaged in any way, the joint will start to fail and yes, cause vibration at speed. When it gets really bad, it will click when taking corners moreso when turning the the direction opposite of the bad joint.

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

customrsturboJan-12-04 02:18 PM
249 posts,
#3781, "RE: Car Vibration!"
In response to Reply # 3

The cv joint doesn't make any noise in any direction. Looks like is fine. But I will try to make an extensive check on those. Anything else that I can check?

Thanks.

Stock Rebuild Block, Custom Turbo Kit: Custom 3" Downpipe, TEO4H Turbocharger : 10-12 psi, Starion Intercooler, Custom IC Piping, HKS By-pass, HKS AIC, (4) 330 cc extra injectors, Autometer Gauges

ModeratoreclipzGSTJan-12-04 02:22 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#3782, "RE: Car Vibration!"
In response to Reply # 4
Jan-12-04 02:23 PM by eclipzGST

there is an inner and an outer CV joint. I assumed you were talking about the inner one. Yes?
nice car BTW.

When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

customrsturboJan-12-04 03:08 PM
249 posts,
#3783, "RE: Car Vibration!"
In response to Reply # 5

Well, there are a total of four CV joints. All of them look OK. The rubber I am talking is the one on the longer axle. This small rubber turns around the axle instaead of being fixed to the axle. Do you know which one I'm talking about?

Oh!, Thank you.

Stock Rebuild Block, Custom Turbo Kit: Custom 3" Downpipe, TEO4H Turbocharger : 10-12 psi, Starion Intercooler, Custom IC Piping, HKS By-pass, HKS AIC, (4) 330 cc extra injectors, Autometer Gauges

TeamJeff_99gsJan-12-04 03:51 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
#3784, "RE: Car Vibration!"
In response to Reply # 6

Every DSM I have ever been in vibrates at 65mph. Don't worry about it. My Talon does it, Matt's GSX does it, my roommate's Talon did it, etc. They all do it. My car did it on two different sets of wheels. 65mph is the magic number. It goes away after 70-75mph right?

customrsturboJan-12-04 04:07 PM
249 posts,
#3785, "RE: Car Vibration!"
In response to Reply # 7

I just came from a test drive! It is not as he told me. The vibration starts as soon as you step on the gas, hard acceleration. It is running great, but it is just that big vibration.It just a steady vibration. I felt it on the driver side. Also, the engine is resting on the support below. Is this like that on the GST's or there has to be a gap?

ModeratoreclipzGSTJan-12-04 04:13 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#3786, "RE: Car Vibration!"
In response to Reply # 8

hmmm. now that you mention it, mine makes a weird noise around 50-60 ish. Not so much a vibration you can feel, but can be heard. Comes from the passenger side front end.

TeamJeff_99gsJan-12-04 04:15 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
#3787, "RE: Car Vibration!"
In response to Reply # 9

Wait, the engine is resting on the cross member? Look for broken engine mounts.

customrsturboJan-12-04 04:17 PM
249 posts,
#3788, "RE: Car Vibration!"
In response to Reply # 9

At that speed or under acceleration. Also, the space between the engine/tranny and the bottom support is there a gap or resting on it?

TeamJeff_99gsJan-12-04 06:32 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
#3789, "RE: Car Vibration!"
In response to Reply # 11

No, it should not be resting on it. Sounds like it could be a broken motor mount.

chayeJan-12-04 09:10 PM
Member since Apr 28th 2002
420 posts,
#3790, "RE: Car Vibration!"
In response to Reply # 12

mine does not vibrate at anyspeeds..not even at 135mph.
has it been alinged?
if it was a broken engine mount you would get wheel hop like crazy.. believe me on my 7bolt the front and the back where broken..

and you say that that the wheels have also been balanced?

Vandy420aJan-12-04 09:29 PM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
2037 posts,
#3791, "RE: Car Vibration!"
In response to Reply # 13

yeah balance the wheels then don't worry about it, it could be 1093741723947237 things. Mine does it, I think the CV joint is going, and it got better when I replaced the rear struts (blown) with new ones but not perfect. Bascially what i'm saying is tracking down this vibration after very basic stuff (alignment, wheel balancing) isn't worth it. I looked into it a while ago (search, you'll prob find it) and it has the potential to be SUPER expensive and yeild no results. It could be engine mounts, suspension bushings, struts, bent control arms, wheel cupping, wheel balancing, alignment, TIRE CHOICE, etc. as long as its not so intense as to be obnoxious, i'd just let it be. What I would look at, though, is that cross member....

vandy

P.S. i've heard aftermarket rims are incredibly hard to balance, and seeing as you have them, that may be the problem...

---------------------------------------

Black 98 GST missing her owner and looking for a new one...Inquiries welcome

customrsturboJan-13-04 02:47 AM
249 posts,
#3792, "RE: Car Vibration!"
In response to Reply # 14

OK! Thanks guys. I will check what can I do with the engine/tranny. All four engine mounts are in good condition. Will let you know what I find.

SaberKhanJan-14-04 10:16 AM
Old School 2GNTer
994 posts,
#3793, "RE: Car Vibration!"
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by customrsturbo
Also, the driver side rubber cushion in the middle of the axle is loose. You can turn the rubber over the axle. Thanks

I think everyone missed what he said. Its not the actual CV joint he's talking about, he's talking about the carrier bearing and support on the drivers side CV shaft. Because it is so long, a center support is necessary to keep driveline whip and vibration down. If that bearing and rubber mount are worn enough to spin it around the shaft, there's your problem more than likely. It could vibrate the car even at idle, you'd be surprised.

91 awd: 60-1, 880's, E-Prom, etc.
93 awd: JDM 6 bolt, K&N, full exhaust, Wally 255, otherwise stock.

R.I.P. the original "Factory Freak"
15.5's with short ram and catback only
1996 RS 5-speed

SaberKhanJan-14-04 07:09 PM
Old School 2GNTer
994 posts,
#3794, "RE: Car Vibration!"
In response to Reply # 16

Or is that AWD only?

91 awd: 60-1, 880's, E-Prom, etc.
93 awd: JDM 6 bolt, K&N, full exhaust, Wally 255, otherwise stock.

R.I.P. the original "Factory Freak"
15.5's with short ram and catback only
1996 RS 5-speed

customrsturboJan-15-04 09:40 AM
249 posts,
#3795, "RE: Car Vibration!"
In response to Reply # 17

No, it's a GST. FWD.

scottfreeman80Jan-15-04 10:52 AM
Member since Nov 13th 2002
88 posts,
#3796, "RE: Car Vibration!"
In response to Reply # 0

i would do the easy things first. check the balance of the tires. my car had the same problem at higher speeds and one of the front tires had a little less pressure and wasn't completly blanced from les schwab. good luck -Scott

customrsturboFeb-02-04 09:04 AM
249 posts,
#3797, "RE: Car Vibration!"
In response to Reply # 19
Feb-02-04 09:05 AM by customrsturbo

Finally found the problem. While he was running the car, I got out of the window and check on the tires. Well, the whole wheel/tire were shaking. I lift the car and found out that the upper ball joint in the passenger side suspension arm had axial movement. All engine mounts were Ok.

If your ride is lowered for some time now and has some vibration, please check your ball joints. It is very risky to run the car like this. Dealer price for upper suspension arm - around $134.00 + tax.
Or find one in good condition on a salvage yard for around $40.00 to 50.00.

Well hope that everybody having a small vibration on the rides check their suspension components.

Thanks.

Vandy420aFeb-02-04 02:30 PM
2037 posts,
#3798, "RE: Car Vibration!"
In response to Reply # 20

nice response to an old thread! I thought i was never gonna hear the solution to that problem and wasjust thinking "bummer" about it a week ago or so...

sweet!

Pts when my computer stops giving me a blank screen...

customrsturboFeb-03-04 04:49 AM
249 posts,
#3799, "RE: Car Vibration!"
In response to Reply # 21
Feb-03-04 04:50 AM by customrsturbo

Yeah, it took a while before I could check his car again. But thank you. Hope this thread help somebody!

oRACLe063Feb-03-04 07:05 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2663 posts,
#3800, "RE: Car Vibration!"
In response to Reply # 22
Feb-03-04 07:25 AM by oRACLe063

wow this is weird . last week after hitting some major potholes ... after 65 i felt major vibration... the car shook like you couldnt belive. it was the entire frame. it stopped after than one ride.

1997 RS AUTO

ORACLE063
1/4 - 17.021
60' - 2.510
Weight 2730

Vandy420aFeb-03-04 08:31 AM
2037 posts,
#3801, "RE: Car Vibration!"
In response to Reply # 23

Oracle: this is way off topic, but what kind of wax do you use? your sig pic looks awesome (my DSM is black too)...is it a repaint?

thanks@!
Vandy

customrsturboFeb-05-04 10:28 AM
249 posts,
#3802, "RE: Car Vibration!"
In response to Reply # 23
Feb-05-04 10:29 AM by customrsturbo

If it is shaking that violent, check your suspension parts (ball joint, link kits, etc) also your rims for a bended one. My frien damage his suspension on I-95 going to Tampa. He hit a spot around 75mph. His car is lowered so you can imagine the shaking. Hope you can find the damage part!

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #3777 Previous topic | Next topic