Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top Team 2GNT Community The Pits v3.1 topic #28163
View in linear mode

Subject: "Same sex marriage and polygamy" Previous topic | Next topic
DSMRoadsterOct-19-07 09:49 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3445 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#28163, "Same sex marriage and polygamy"

Who's for and who's against it. I wanna hear some personal thoughts and NO FLAMING. Religion will play a big aspect in this debate. But I wanna know how deep is your conviction in your beliefs. Here are the facts. Massachusettes is the only state to allow same sex marriages and this is only by default and a technicality. The Federal Governemtn does not recognize same sex marriage. About 47 other states don't recognize same sex marriage. So how much role should the government play in the family with much emphasis on marriage. With that said, how different is polygamy when the beliefs in same sex arguement mirrors it?

intricatelines.com/ -graphics and vinyls

"Tell them of us and say,
For their tomorrow,
We gave our today."
-- The Kohima Epitaph

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy, Nine5eclipse03, Oct-17-07 09:18 PM, #1
RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy, Moderatorcs82685, Oct-18-07 01:09 AM, #2
RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy, ModeratoreclipzGST, Oct-18-07 01:26 AM, #3
      RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy, Moderatormicyek, Oct-18-07 01:47 AM, #4
           RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy, Fallen4ng31, Oct-18-07 02:40 AM, #5
                RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy, eclipse982nrRST, Oct-18-07 02:51 AM, #6
                     RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy, totaleklipse97, Oct-18-07 03:30 AM, #7
                          RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy, Nine5eclipse03, Oct-18-07 09:17 AM, #8
RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy, Malenko, Oct-18-07 10:34 AM, #9
      RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy, Nine5eclipse03, Oct-18-07 10:38 AM, #10
           RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy, dsmtuner1, Oct-18-07 10:47 AM, #11
           RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy, ScreaminE, Oct-18-07 11:05 AM, #12
           RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Oct-18-07 11:15 AM, #13
                RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy, Nine5eclipse03, Oct-18-07 11:17 AM, #14
                     RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy, dsmtuner1, Oct-18-07 12:12 PM, #17
                          RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Oct-18-07 02:43 PM, #23
                               RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy, dsmtuner1, Oct-19-07 05:10 AM, #31
                                    RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy, slowmitsu, Oct-19-07 05:12 AM, #32
                                    RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Oct-19-07 06:31 AM, #34
           RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy, DSMRoadster, Oct-18-07 11:19 AM, #15
                RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy, totaleklipse97, Oct-18-07 12:11 PM, #16
                     RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy, dsmtuner1, Oct-18-07 12:16 PM, #18
                          RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy, totaleklipse97, Oct-18-07 12:21 PM, #19
                          RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy, DSMRoadster, Oct-18-07 12:51 PM, #20
                               RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy, totaleklipse97, Oct-18-07 02:56 PM, #25
                          RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy, Nine5eclipse03, Oct-18-07 12:54 PM, #21
                               RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy, slowmitsu, Oct-18-07 01:08 PM, #22
                               RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy, ScreaminE, Oct-18-07 02:52 PM, #24
                                    RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Oct-18-07 02:59 PM, #26
                                         RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy, ez, Oct-18-07 03:57 PM, #27
                                         RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy, DSMRoadster, Oct-18-07 04:39 PM, #28
                                         RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy, Fallen4ng31, Oct-19-07 04:19 AM, #29
                                              RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy, slowmitsu, Oct-19-07 05:09 AM, #30
                                              RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Oct-22-07 08:17 AM, #53
                               RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy, dsmtuner1, Oct-19-07 05:22 AM, #33
                                    RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy, Nine5eclipse03, Oct-19-07 06:52 AM, #35
                                         RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy, dsmtuner1, Oct-19-07 07:59 AM, #36
                                              RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy, slowmitsu, Oct-19-07 10:11 AM, #37
                                              RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy, DSMRoadster, Oct-19-07 10:30 AM, #38
                                              RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy, slowmitsu, Oct-19-07 10:36 AM, #39
                                              RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy, dsmtuner1, Oct-19-07 11:15 AM, #40
                                                   RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy, slowmitsu, Oct-19-07 11:27 AM, #41
                                                        RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy, dsmtuner1, Oct-19-07 11:45 AM, #42
                                                        RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy, Nine5eclipse03, Oct-19-07 11:49 AM, #43
                                                        RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy, dsmtuner1, Oct-19-07 12:07 PM, #45
                                                        RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy, totaleklipse97, Oct-19-07 12:16 PM, #46
                                                             RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy, dsmtuner1, Oct-19-07 12:33 PM, #47
                                                        RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy, dsmtuner1, Oct-19-07 12:04 PM, #44
                                                             RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy, Moderatorcs82685, Oct-19-07 02:18 PM, #48
                                              RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy, eclipse_99rs, Oct-20-07 04:50 PM, #49
           RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy, Malenko, Oct-21-07 01:46 PM, #50
                RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy, dsmtuner1, Oct-22-07 05:20 AM, #51
                     RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy, eclipse_99rs, Oct-22-07 07:30 AM, #52
                     RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy, DSMRoadster, Oct-22-07 04:35 PM, #54
                     RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy, dsmtuner1, Oct-23-07 11:56 AM, #57
                     RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy, Nine5eclipse03, Oct-23-07 05:47 AM, #55
                          RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy, Jefusthejuggalo, Oct-23-07 09:24 AM, #56

Nine5eclipse03Oct-17-07 09:18 PM
Member since Oct 11th 2004
335 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#28164, "RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy"
In response to Reply # 0

I for one, being a straight, republican, 22 year old catholic, believe in same sex marriage. I dont think that the government or anyone else should have any say when it comes to who you want to marry. Marry a horse for all i care, it doesnt matter. I can understand if a church denies holding a ceramony for a same sex marriage, but it should not be simply illegal. Its not a choice, i dont understand why people take it to heart.

I cant count the number of bumper stickers around the city that ive seen on old peoples cars that show "Man + Woman = Marriage" that i have walked up to and ripped off vehicles. I feel very strongly about this subject, most likely from personally knowing a handful in the gay community.

Don't sell your car to 16 year olds...

95 Eclipse RS - Sold for 6k, totalled three days later
91 Dodge Stealth R/T TT - 3" exhaust w/ no cats, eurethane motor mounts, 300M unbreakable output shaft, kevlar faced clutch, turbo XS BOV, 99 3000gt front conversion, carbon fiber hood. Dyno'd at 386hp. - SOLD! for 5k
98 Dodge Ram 1500 Club Cab 4x4 black on black.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Moderatorcs82685Oct-18-07 01:09 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2007 posts,
#28166, "RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy"
In response to Reply # 1
Oct-18-07 01:12 AM by cs82685

Originally posted by Nine5eclipse03
I for one, being a straight, republican, 22 year old catholic, believe in same sex marriage. I dont think that the government or anyone else should have any say when it comes to who you want to marry. Marry a horse for all i care, it doesnt matter. I can understand if a church denies holding a ceramony for a same sex marriage, but it should not be simply illegal.

Agreed. (I'm also 22, catholic, straight, republican, lol)

There was an episode of South Park addressing this, instead of being called married they can be called 'butt buddies' HAHA. Seriously though, if a church doesn't want to do it fine, but I don't see why they can't have the same rights (healthcare benefits/collecting pensions/etc.) just because they are the same sex.

As for polygamy, if a man wants to live with more than one headache for the rest of his life, that should be his decision. Again that seems like a religious choice, not a choice that should be made by government.

Edit: this has the potential to be a very interesting discussion, those posting in it, just state your opinions, no name calling or ripping on others beliefs. Although I love a good debate, e-debate's usually turn into a pissing contest about who has a bigger dick and we don't need/want that. If it gets out of hand it'll be closed, until then happy discussion

I contributed to the Wiki!
EVO IX - just a really expensive boost gauge and a K&N air filter
96 Eclipse RS -awaiting registration and inspection
95 Eclipse GS - parts car
Mods/Profile - http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=cs82685

ModeratoreclipzGSTOct-18-07 01:26 AM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#28167, "RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy"
In response to Reply # 2

I personally could give a shit either way. I believe in personal happiness. A gay couple who will probably spend the rest of their lives together as "husband and wife" should be entitled to any benefits as a M/F couple.
My question is, when should I expect Dino and Brian to visit Massachusetts? And also, am I invited to the wedding?

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

ModeratormicyekOct-18-07 01:47 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5070 posts,
#28169, "RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy"
In response to Reply # 3
Oct-18-07 01:49 AM by micyek

What I don't get is that Michigan doesn't recognize same sex marriage...but the university I work for does. How the hell does that work?

BTW I could care less either way....just leave me the hell alone. LOL I mean, if your are a gay dude and you see me in the bar...do not buy me a beer, you might just get punched in the face with it.

getty up

-kent-

'98 Talon...gone, but not forgotten

Fallen4ng31Oct-18-07 02:40 AM
Donating 2GNT member
370 posts,
#28171, "RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy"
In response to Reply # 4
Oct-18-07 02:42 AM by Fallen4ng31

I was raised protestant, but turned my back on it. Honestly I'm all for gay marriage. If you find someone else that makes you happy; so be it. Be it a man or woman, that is irrelevant. My best friend of nearly 20 years happens to be gay. Personally, I can understand why the vast majority of churches don't recognize it. It seems to be mostly fundamentalist christians (A concept which seems to be localized almost exclusively in the US) that are opposed to this.
As far as polygamy goes, in our predominately monogamous society it is generally frowned upon. Personally, I believe if you haven't committed youself to one person, then by all means date or bang as many people as you want. I am engaged so I don't mess around anymore. Monogamy, in and of itself, is an interesting concept. Very few animals exhibit monogamous behavior. Somewhere around 3% in mammals, I think. (I'm sure someone is thinking about birds now. Ornithological monogamy is more often than not social than exclusively sexual.) But I digress, as long as you're not killing people or molesting children, do what makes you happy. But let others have that same freedom; All too often is our society plagued by double standards.

1998 Eclipse RS-T - Totaled 4/23/09 -
1998 Eclipse GST - Stroked 2.3l, HX40 fed: Build in progress
2010 Subaru Outback Limited

I hate hipsters.

eclipse982nrRSTOct-18-07 02:51 AM
Member since Mar 16th 2004
6314 posts,
#28172, "RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy"
In response to Reply # 5

If a guy wants to marry a guy, or a woman loves a woman, let them get married. Does it really harm you? No it doesnt. Then why does the gov't care? Because they are retarded.

-MIKE-

Stroked 2.2L

totaleklipse97Oct-18-07 03:30 AM
Member since May 14th 2003
3589 posts,
#28173, "RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy"
In response to Reply # 6

With regards to non-common-law states I do think same sex marriage should be allowed. Their dictation of "domestic partner" is completely unfair for standard couples wishing not to get married, but share domiciles. Same sex partners are granted legal rights in those states under the same conditions that would not be met if they were a traditional pair. To me religion does not play a factor in this at all, as I am not religious. I do feel laws should be fair to all involved, and not selective based on sexual orientation. We all have the legal right to pursue happiness, and if that is the course of action that allows them to be happy, and it is not interfere with others ability to seek personal happiness, then by all means, allow them to do what they wish.

-----------------------------------

My DSM registry.......Powered By Exile Racing
VW= The joy of driving
DSM= The frustration of fixing

The wonders of 2gnt chat:

‹totaleklipse97› so what benefits do i get from being ur e-boyfriend
‹Jen› uh... the honor?
‹totaleklipse97› somehow i guess i got that title now
‹Jen› somehow.....

Nine5eclipse03Oct-18-07 09:17 AM
335 posts,
#28179, "RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy"
In response to Reply # 7

Gay people are gettin married folks. Yes. NASTY. Immagine that. Two women... touchin on each others titty-balls. Caressin them, gently strokin those nipples till they get so... stiff! And Erect! Blowin on em.

Men, bar-b-que. I like you. I like you too Dawg. Lets get married man. Its Crazy! That shit is gross!

91 Dodge Stealth R/T TT - 3" exhaust w/ no cats, eurethane motor mounts, 300M unbreakable output shaft, kevlar faced clutch, turbo XS BOV, 99 3000gt front conversion, carbon fiber hood. Dyno'd at 386hp. - SOLD! for 5k

MalenkoOct-18-07 10:34 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3534 posts,
#28181, "RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy"
In response to Reply # 1

I cant count the number of bumper stickers around the city that ive seen on old peoples cars that show "Man + Woman = Marriage" that i have walked up to and ripped off vehicles. I feel very strongly about this subject, most likely from personally knowing a handful in the gay community.

I personally dont have a problem with gay marriage. However, you have no right to remove bumper stickers from someone elses car because you dont agree with thier point of view. If you had a pro gay marriage bumper sticker and someone removed it, wouldnt you be pissed? You must understand that no matter how wrong thier opinion is in your eyes it is still their right to have it.

My only real gripe with gay couples is every time I see 2 girls and even 2 guys together, its like they have to be all over each other all the time. Thats disrepectful to the general populace in my eyes and it feels , to me, like they are just doing it for attention and are completely unaware that the shock factor has worn off years ago.

Nine5eclipse03Oct-18-07 10:38 AM
335 posts,
#28182, "RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy"
In response to Reply # 9

Originally posted by Malenko
Originally posted by Nine5eclipse03 I cant count the number of bumper stickers around the city that ive seen on old peoples cars that show "Man + Woman = Marriage" that i have walked up to and ripped off vehicles. I feel very strongly about this subject, most likely from personally knowing a handful in the gay community.
I personally dont have a problem with gay marriage. However, you have no right to remove bumper stickers from someone elses car because you dont agree with thier point of view. If you had a pro gay marriage bumper sticker and someone removed it, wouldnt you be pissed? You must understand that no matter how wrong thier opinion is in your eyes it is still their right to have it. My only real gripe with gay couples is every time I see 2 girls and even 2 guys together, its like they have to be all over each other all the time. Thats disrepectful to the general populace in my eyes and it feels , to me, like they are just doing it for attention and are completely unaware that the shock factor has worn off years ago.

I dont care if its their right to have it or not. They shouldnt have shit like that on their cars. Its my belief that hondas suck nuts, but i dont have a bumper sticker that proclaims it.

Does it bother you when you see a man and a woman all over each other in public? There should be no difference. I dont like PDA, its annoying, but i dont see a difference in the two.

dsmtuner1Oct-18-07 10:47 AM
Member since Jul 03rd 2006
245 posts,
#28183, "RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy"
In response to Reply # 10
Oct-18-07 10:48 AM by dsmtuner1

I absolutely positively think its unnacceptable.

leviticus 20:13

13 If a man lies with a male as he lies with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination. They shall surely be put to death. Their blood shall be upon them.

thats all

2 sets of injectors is better than 1 =)

ScreaminEOct-18-07 11:05 AM
Donating 2GNT member
815 posts,
#28184, "RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy"
In response to Reply # 11

I'm going to have to say I 100% disagree with gay marriage. Sorry to go against the majority here, but it's my belief and my conviction.

I'm 22, straight, republican, and Baptist. I believe that the institute of marriage has been ruined in our country, but not by homosexuals alone. Divorce is what is ruining the thought of marriage. When Brittany Spears got married to her friend for about a day, I completely lost what shred of respect I had for her at the point. To act like marriage is a joke or a stunt is just wrong in the eyes of God if you ask me.

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneOct-18-07 11:15 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#28185, "RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy"
In response to Reply # 12

It is my belief that marriage is a legal union and that religion shouldn't play a part in it. You can be married by a judge in the eyes of the law. if you want to be married in the eyes of the deity of your choosing, a minister / priest / preacher can do it as well. I don't believe that religion has the right to prevent anyone from joining in a legal union.

Keep your church out of my courts.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

Nine5eclipse03Oct-18-07 11:17 AM
335 posts,
#28186, "RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy"
In response to Reply # 13

Originally posted by DarkOne
Keep your church out of my courts.

And my schools.

dsmtuner1Oct-18-07 12:12 PM
245 posts,
#28189, "RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy"
In response to Reply # 14

Originally posted by DarkOne Keep your church out of my courts.
And my schools.

More like keep your courts away from making decisions that effect where "I" want to incorporate my beliefs. It's absurd to say religion should stay out of schools to protect "you" when it effects others who want it. Don't let your comments be so self-centered and self motiviated. Your anger encourages an unneccessary self-defense mechanism.

Back on to the main topic at hand here please.

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneOct-18-07 02:43 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#28198, "RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy"
In response to Reply # 17

Originally posted by dsmtuner1
And my schools.
More like keep your courts away from making decisions that effect where "I" want to incorporate my beliefs. It's absurd to say religion should stay out of schools to protect "you" when it effects others who want it. Don't let your comments be so self-centered and self motiviated. Your anger encourages an unneccessary self-defense mechanism. Back on to the main topic at hand here please.

That is part of the problem - people may be entitled to practice whatever religion they want, but that right stops as soon as it infringes on my right to not follow your religion. I'm not Christian, I don't care what Leviticus says about marriage. It doesn't apply to me. Yet, the Christian majority sees fit to dictate to me that I cannot legally enter into marriage with another man (if I wanted to) because they don't believe that it's right?

To me, it seems to fly in the face of the First Amendment.

'13 Evo X (mostly stock)

dsmtuner1Oct-19-07 05:10 AM
245 posts,
#28227, "RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy"
In response to Reply # 23
Oct-19-07 08:06 AM by dsmtuner1

div class="dcquote"]Originally posted by DarkOne

And my schools.
Yet, the Christian majority sees fit to dictate to me that I cannot legally enter into marriage with another man because they don't believe that it's right?

Reading that is weird, because I assume you don't want to marry a man, right?

Anyway, your not necessarily getting the "BIG PICTURE". If we wanted to start going into dictating what you can and can't due because of majority then we could relate that to anything. You can't have freedom to express whatever you want to, in all areas, and still have a sense of order. Look at any country w/o boundries there to govern the "majoritys" interest of the individuals residing, and see their productivity or civility. Could you please due me a favor and weigh the positives compared to the negatives if gay marriages were ever legalized. Thats like encouraging extinction. The U.S. and its current state of trying to please every single person has lead to its weakness. Of course I based my original opinion based on my beleifs and religion because It's important to me, but even if you take that out of the equation you still can't justify.

slowmitsuOct-19-07 05:12 AM
Member since May 26th 2005
343 posts,
#28229, "RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy"
In response to Reply # 31
Oct-19-07 05:13 AM by slowmitsu

Originally posted by DarkOne Yet, the Christian majority sees fit to dictate to me that I cannot legally enter into marriage with another man because they don't believe that it's right?
Reading that makes me laugh, because it sounds like you want to marry a man lol. Your not necessarily getting the "BIG PICTURE", if we wanted to start going into dictating what you can and can't due because of majority then we could relate that to anything. You can't have freedom to express whatever you want to, in all areas, and still have a sense of order. Look at any country w/o boundries there to govern the "majoritys" interest of the individuals residing, and see their productivity or civility. Could you please due me a favor and weigh the positives compared to the negatives if gay marriages were ever legalized. Thats like encouraging extinction. The U.S. and its current state of trying to please every single person has lead to its weakness. Of course I based my original opinion based on my beleifs and religion because It's important to me, but even if you take that out of the equation you still can't justify.

Completely ignoring the fact that this country was founded on freedom from religious persecution.

_______

BPU'd skittle

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneOct-19-07 06:31 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#28232, "RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy"
In response to Reply # 31

Could you please due me a favor and weigh the positives compared to the negatives if gay marriages were ever legalized.

Do you think anything would really change? Homosexuals are already doing everything married heterosexuals do, including living together and raising children. However, because they can't legally get married, they are denied the benefits a legally recognized marriage can offer: Tax breaks, joint filing, next-of-kin, insurance breaks, bereavement leave, Social Security Survivor Benefits, Visitation of Partner in Hospital or Prison, among others. I feel that is wrong.

Thats like encouraging extinction.

I fail to see how. Explain your logic, please. Will people stop having children if gay people are allowed to be legally married? Would more people suddenly become gay if they're allowed to marry a member of the same gender?

The U.S. and its current state of trying to please every single person has lead to its weakness. Of course I based my original opinion based on my beleifs and religion because It's important to me, but even if you take that out of the equation you still can't justify.

This is somewhat outside the scope of the discussion, but I'll bite. Would you be offended if public schools taught the Quran? Why? How is it different from Christian prayer in public schools? Why do you feel this mindset "tries to please every single person"?

'13 Evo X (mostly stock)

DSMRoadsterOct-18-07 11:19 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3445 posts,
#28187, "RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy"
In response to Reply # 11
Oct-18-07 11:21 AM by DSMRoadster

I truly believe in the "essence of marriage". A man shall live together with a woman as husband and wife, it's a fulfillment of a sexual relationship and their right and duty to raise children. Full Faith Credit clause says states must uphold and protect other state's marriages. Equal Protection Clause under the 14th Amendment says fundemental rights is affored to EVERYONE. However the Defense of Marriage Act (1996) pass by congress and good ole Bill says states don't have to accept same sex marriage. So DoMA takes away creditbility from Full Faith Credit clause and violates Equal Protection Clause. The federal government will not recognize same sex marriage. I believe its their right to enforce from their interpretation of the Constiution and their responsibliity to protect the traditional family structure and values. Remember the Constitution is based off common law which is based off natural law which derived from religion. Framers of the Constitution where the Puritans who drafted it. The Constitution is written off of judeochristian beliefs in which the "essence of marriage" is born.

For their tomorrow,
We gave our today."
-- The Kohima Epitaph

totaleklipse97Oct-18-07 12:11 PM
3589 posts,
#28188, "RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy"
In response to Reply # 15

Good point bro, but keep in mind that the Constitution is meant to be interpreted as a "living document" up for the interpretation of a current situation. Not completely based on the fundamentals of a time long since vanished in this country, and elsewhere.

VW= The joy of driving

‹Jen› uh... the honor?
‹Jen› somehow.....

dsmtuner1Oct-18-07 12:16 PM
245 posts,
#28190, "RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy"
In response to Reply # 16
Oct-19-07 05:32 AM by dsmtuner1

Originally posted by totaleklipse97
Good point bro, but keep in mind that the Constitution is meant to be interpreted as a "living document" up for the interpretation of a current situation. Not completely based on the fundamentals of a time long since vanished in this country, and elsewhere.

"interpretation" is the problem with our nation right now. Too many people take every law/document/belief and want it to be contured to best fit their life-style.

totaleklipse97Oct-18-07 12:21 PM
3589 posts,
#28191, "RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy"
In response to Reply # 18
Oct-18-07 12:22 PM by totaleklipse97

but that was the point of the constitution, that it was not a static document representing a time that they knew would not remain constant. Yes, there is a problem with the way laws are interpreted in this nation. Since when did Federal Government regulate marriage? Last I remember at the end of a ceremony, whether religious in nature, or lawful in nature, it is closed by "with the power invested in me by the state of ______ I know pronounce you..."

edit: correct me if i'm wrong though, i won't be offended

VW= The joy of driving

‹Jen› uh... the honor?
‹Jen› somehow.....

DSMRoadsterOct-18-07 12:51 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3445 posts,
#28192, "RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy"
In response to Reply # 19

a marriage is nothing more than a contract in the governments eyes. It has offer, acceptence and considerationo equalling a contract. That is one front the government comes in. The other is the government is given the responsibility and have a duty to protect individuals in a marriage. Take minors for example. When should the government come in, if at all, to protect a child? What about when the dissolution of a marriage is presented? The government has to decided on it. As for taxing, the government does that too. The government has a vested interest in our lives. That's a fact. How much and how far is the arguement.

For their tomorrow,
We gave our today."
-- The Kohima Epitaph

totaleklipse97Oct-18-07 02:56 PM
3589 posts,
#28201, "RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy"
In response to Reply # 20

Originally posted by DSMRoadster
a marriage is nothing more than a contract in the governments eyes. It has offer, acceptence and considerationo equalling a contract. That is one front the government comes in. The other is the government is given the responsibility and have a duty to protect individuals in a marriage. Take minors for example. When should the government come in, if at all, to protect a child? What about when the dissolution of a marriage is presented? The government has to decided on it. As for taxing, the government does that too. The government has a vested interest in our lives. That's a fact. How much and how far is the arguement.

but at what level of government is acceptable for this particular situation. seems like the federal is taking away the states individual right to self govern.

VW= The joy of driving

‹Jen› uh... the honor?
‹Jen› somehow.....

Nine5eclipse03Oct-18-07 12:54 PM
335 posts,
#28193, "RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy"
In response to Reply # 18

Originally posted by totaleklipse97 Good point bro, but keep in mind that the Constitution is meant to be interpreted as a "living document" up for the interpretation of a current situation. Not completely based on the fundamentals of a time long since vanished in this country, and elsewhere.
"interpretation" is the problem with our nation right now. Too many people take every law/document/belief and want it to be contured to best fit their life-style. Get real.

Sounds to me like you believe everything you read in that book. Put it down, and start thinking.

slowmitsuOct-18-07 01:08 PM
343 posts,
#28194, "RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy"
In response to Reply # 21
Oct-18-07 01:09 PM by slowmitsu

I could give a flying fuck. Let them be miserable like the rest of us and get a taste of divorce court.

Seriously though...I couldn't care less if they did.

_______

BPU'd skittle

ScreaminEOct-18-07 02:52 PM
Donating 2GNT member
815 posts,
#28199, "RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy"
In response to Reply # 22

Originally posted by slowmitsu
I could give a flying fuck. Let them be miserable like the rest of us and get a taste of divorce court. Seriously though...I couldn't care less if they did.

Best reply yet!

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonOct-18-07 02:59 PM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#28202, "RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy"
In response to Reply # 24

personally i dont care but in a moral sense...it was Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve.

ezOct-18-07 03:57 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
#28205, "RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy"
In response to Reply # 26
Oct-18-07 03:59 PM by ez

I think we should outlaw marriage.

The divorce rate in california is running at 73% the rate of marriages. We will soon have more divorces than marriages in this state. The vast majority of divorces are filed by women. Say goodbye to half of your income and assets, even if you earned them all by yourself.

Marriage is a legal contract in this country, and it basically allows the other person on that contract to take half of what you own - even if THEY were the ones that destroyed the marriage. Men always seem to get the short side of the stick here

2gnt: '99 RS-T, killed by a toyota, pending rebuild...
Daily: Volt
Daily #2: '99 EVG ebike- STOLEN by PEDRO

DSMRoadsterOct-18-07 04:39 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3445 posts,
#28210, "RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy"
In response to Reply # 27

Originally posted by ez
I think we should outlaw marriage. The divorce rate in california is running at 73% the rate of marriages. We will soon have more divorces than marriages in this state. The vast majority of divorces are filed by women. Say goodbye to half of your income and assets, even if you earned them all by yourself. Marriage is a legal contract in this country, and it basically allows the other person on that contract to take half of what you own - even if THEY were the ones that destroyed the marriage. Men always seem to get the short side of the stick here

we're side tracking, but I'll entertain that thought. Premarital and postnuptial agreements are available and highly recommended to protect individuals. As long as the child is not a subject, because only the court will decides what's in the best interest of the child, pre and post nuptials are there to protect people. Criterias need to be met and anything can be argued, but it is available.

For their tomorrow,
We gave our today."
-- The Kohima Epitaph

Fallen4ng31Oct-19-07 04:19 AM
Donating 2GNT member
370 posts,
#28222, "RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy"
In response to Reply # 26

Originally posted by Star Turbo Talon
personally i dont care but in a moral sense...it was Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve.

I'm not trying to bash anyones beliefs(etc) here. But, with the current state of science and our understanding of genetics, I'd think people would realize that two people are not sufficient breeding stock to spawn a race of people...

1998 Eclipse RS-T - Totaled 4/23/09 -
1998 Eclipse GST - Stroked 2.3l, HX40 fed: Build in progress
2010 Subaru Outback Limited

I hate hipsters.

slowmitsuOct-19-07 05:09 AM
343 posts,
#28226, "RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy"
In response to Reply # 29
Oct-19-07 05:09 AM by slowmitsu

Originally posted by Fallen4ng31
I'm not trying to bash anyones beliefs(etc) here.

K

But, with the current state of science and our understanding of genetics, I'd think people would realize that two people are not sufficient breeding stock to spawn a race of people...

That was fast.

_______

BPU'd skittle

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonOct-22-07 08:17 AM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#28295, "RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy"
In response to Reply # 29

Originally posted by Star Turbo Talon personally i dont care but in a moral sense...it was Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve.
I'm not trying to bash anyones beliefs(etc) here. But, with the current state of science and our understanding of genetics, I'd think people would realize that two people are not sufficient breeding stock to spawn a race of people...

If your going to take all posts seriously then do me a favor and go away. Dino send this asshat a picture of your scrotum and let him analyze that.

dsmtuner1Oct-19-07 05:22 AM
245 posts,
#28230, "RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy"
In response to Reply # 21

Originally posted by totaleklipse97 Good point bro, but keep in mind that the Constitution is meant to be interpreted as a "living document" up for the interpretation of a current situation. Not completely based on the fundamentals of a time long since vanished in this country, and elsewhere.
"interpretation" is the problem with our nation right now. Too many people take every law/document/belief and want it to be contured to best fit their life-style. Get real.
Sounds to me like you believe everything you read in that book. Put it down, and start thinking.

Seems like your catching on

Nine5eclipse03Oct-19-07 06:52 AM
335 posts,
#28234, "RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy"
In response to Reply # 33

I cant stand bible thumpers. It seems to me, that most people who go to church, are only there because they know they are a bunch of assholes, and they feel like they need to be forgiven. When i used to go, i would sit behind a group of old women, who would sit there and gossip about everyone and everything during the ceremony. Put down the punch, and leave your cult. God wants you to live your life, not spend it reading a book that a bunch of random dudes wrote. And it living your life with someone of the same sex is the case, do it. People dont choose to be gay/lesbian, why should the be punished?

dsmtuner1Oct-19-07 07:59 AM
245 posts,
#28237, "RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy"
In response to Reply # 35
Oct-19-07 08:00 AM by dsmtuner1

I cant stand bible thumpers. It seems to me, that most people who go to church, are only there because they know they are a bunch of assholes, and they feel like they need to be forgiven. When i used to go, i would sit behind a group of old women, who would sit there and gossip about everyone and everything during the ceremony. Put down the punch, and leave your cult. God wants you to live your life, not spend it reading a book that a bunch of random dudes wrote. And it living your life with someone of the same sex is the case, do it. People dont choose to be gay/lesbian, why should the be punished?

I'll just ignore that comment except for the last sentence, since you think all christians are the same apparently. I assume you categorize all non-christians as bieng exactly alike as well?

Now the last sentence: Don't tell me people who are gay don't choose to be. My dad and mom were married 25 years, before my dad walked out and went into a life of homosexuality. I still talk to my DAD sometimes and know his views on it. Quit placing statements where you don't have grounds to. Your views are from back in stands and your just making guesses now. You need to get off this idea that the everyone needs to be happy all the time. If that was the case we could all just stay doped up and sit at home and then lots of progress would be made, huh?

I made my comments based on my views and opinions. You have no need to come in here making comments about not liking christians and calling them all names. I never said I hated you or complained about anything you do, so why are you trying to attack my posts everytime I post it. Keep your comments in relation to the thread title not the people posting in it.

slowmitsuOct-19-07 10:11 AM
343 posts,
#28249, "RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy"
In response to Reply # 36
Oct-19-07 10:24 AM by slowmitsu

Now the last sentence: Don't tell me people who are gay don't choose to be. My dad and mom were married 25 years, before my dad walked out and went into a life of homosexuality. I still talk to my DAD sometimes and know his views on it.

A lot of people disagree with you: http://aappolicy.aappublications.org/cgi/reprint/pediatrics;113/6/1827.pdf

It sounds to me that your attitude towards it stems from an abandonment standpoint more so than a religious one.

Something else I'd like to add:

Simon LeVay explains the basics of this theory:

In experimental animals it’s been well established that the sexual differentiation of the body and brain results primarily from the influence of sex hormones secreted by the testes or ovaries (Arnold 2002). Males have high levels of testosterone in fetal life (after functional development of the testes) and around the time of birth, as well as at and after puberty. Females have low levels of all sex hormones in fetal life, and high levels of estrogens and progestagens starting at puberty. High prenatal testosterone levels organize the brain in a male-specific fashion; low levels testosterone permits it to organize in a female-specific fashion. Hormones at puberty activate the circuits laid down in prenatal life but do not fundamentally change them. Thus, the range of sexual behaviors that adult animals can show is determined in large part by their prenatal/perinatal hormone exposure—manipulating these hormone levels can lead to atypical sex behavior or preference for same-sex sex partners as well as a range of other gender-atypical characteristics.<79>

Originally posted by American Psychological Association
Is Sexual Orientation a Choice?

No, human beings can not choose to be either gay or straight. Sexual orientation emerges for most people in early adolescence without any prior sexual experience. Although we can choose whether to act on our feelings, psychologists do not consider sexual orientation to be a conscious choice that can be voluntarily changed.

Scientists have found genetic evidence that supports this in the animal kingdom as well.

Choice my ass.

_______

BPU'd skittle

DSMRoadsterOct-19-07 10:30 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3445 posts,
#28250, "RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy"
In response to Reply # 37

OK. I've asked for this from the beginning of the thread and I we all knew religion was going to play a big part. There will be asbsolutely no personal attacks on members of this board. You want to prove that you're a mature and intellectual member than argue the facts and opinions. Name calling and patronizing is uncalled for. Find different ways to make your statment so that it doesn't attack the person, but rather the statement. Yes it is very possible to do so. Now let's get back on track. Same sex marriage is an abominiation in the bible. Although religion is the base for laws, their place in the courtroom is negated by logic. Morals vs logic and logic wins. Morals are put in the back burner and it's proven in Lawrence vs Texas (2003). So how do we decide what stays and what goes then? I have deep true convictions in my morals. There is no doubt about it that it spawns from my respect for the law that was bored by religion. I guess you can say that I'm a dying breed. A traditionalist.

For their tomorrow,
We gave our today."
-- The Kohima Epitaph

slowmitsuOct-19-07 10:36 AM
343 posts,
#28251, "RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy"
In response to Reply # 38
Oct-19-07 10:37 AM by slowmitsu

Same sex marriage is an abominiation in the bible.

That same passage condones the murder of gay men, nor does it mention a woman's relationship to another woman.

_______

BPU'd skittle

dsmtuner1Oct-19-07 11:15 AM
245 posts,
#28252, "RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy"
In response to Reply # 37
Oct-19-07 11:16 AM by dsmtuner1

Choice my ass.

please ship that to 72023, because you my friend are not only linking animals with human biengs, which is rediculous. You are using scientific cases that were compromised and accused of using false variants as well as selective participants.

Taken from a non-religous site, un-biased source.
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=28505

'Gay' gene: Fact or fantasy? In this age, one of the most difficult issues facing our nation today is the issue of homosexuality. For the most part, homosexuals become extremely offended if one even suggests that their sexual orientation was a choice. Perhaps the greatest defense for the acceptance of homosexuality is the so-called "gay" gene. While it may not be easy to "come out" of homosexuality, there is credible and substantial evidence disproving the "gay"-gene theory. The first question is, does the issue of whether homosexuality is a choice, or not, really matter? The Human Rights Campaign, a homosexual-activist group, doesn't think so. "The vast majority of gay people will tell you that same-sex orientation is an innate part of who you are and is not changeable," a spokesman said. "But in the final analysis, it really shouldn't matter." Whether the sincerity of that statement is valid or not, the simple fact is that whether homosexuality is a genetic trait or not does matter. If homosexuality is genetic and not a choice, then the lifestyle and act must be accepted by everyone, because it cannot be prevented. However, if it is a choice, then anyone has the right to label homosexuality unacceptable and immoral. The scientific basis the homosexual community uses to prove the "gay"-gene theory are two different studies conducted in 1993 and 1995. The studies found a specific marker in the X chromosome that links to homosexuality in men. In 1993, biologist Dean Hamer of the National Cancer Institute found that in 40 pairs of homosexual brothers, 33 of them had the same set of DNA sequences in a part of the chromosome called, "Xq28." This has caused many homosexual leaders to proclaim this "evidence" and demand respect and acceptance of homosexuality because of this apparent genetic trait. However, in late June of 1995, reports were confirmed that Dean Hamer was being investigated by the Office of Research Integrity at the Department of Health and Human Services. Reports found that Hamer may have selectively reported his research and data – which has led many to question the credibility of his research. Furthermore, in the late '90s, a team of researchers at the University of Western Ontario in Canada found no trace or evidence of the "gay" gene in homosexual men. The study found that the region of the X chromosome known as "Xq28" has nothing to do with the sexual "orientation" of a person. Neurologist George Rice studied the DNA of 52 pairs of homosexual brothers and found that their Xq28 sequences were no more similar than what might happen from sheer chance. Despite the debunking of evidence to back the "gay"-gene theory, homosexual advocates continue to use the out-dated evidence to promote the existence of a homosexual genetic trait. Much more evidence can be provided. Identical twins, for instance, share the same set of chromosomal patterns. Therefore, if one twin's DNA has a homosexual genetic trait, then it is inevitable that both twins will be homosexuals. However, that is not the case with all twins. When one twin is homosexual, the probability of the other identical twin being homosexual is 50 percent. Thus, the "gay"-gene theory is, once again, debunked by using logical, scientific research. Still, there is even more evidence against homosexual genes. If homosexuality is, indeed – despite other evidence – a genetic trait, that gene would eventually be ousted from the gene pool because homosexuals tend not to reproduce. Instead, homosexuality has appeared in civilizations across time. In some parts of the world, homosexuality flourishes, but in other parts of the world, homosexuality is not present. Additionally, if "gay"-gene theory were true, it would be next to impossible to change the lifestyle to heterosexuality. However, it is not impossible to change sexual orientations – Stephen Bennett is a great example, and so are the thousands of others who have come out of homosexuality. With this incredible load of evidence mounting up against the "gay"-gene theory, it would be safe to say that homosexuality is actually not something one is born with, but a choice. Instead of using hard evidence and facts, the homosexual community has stooped so low as to use media to force feed this unproven theory as fact in order to advance their agenda.

ohh, and if you have anything else. I have tons of articles proving Hamers evidence inconclusive.

slowmitsuOct-19-07 11:27 AM
343 posts,
#28254, "RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy"
In response to Reply # 40

You quote the most right wing "news" site on the internet? Yeah, unbiased. Totally. You sure showed me.

_______

BPU'd skittle

dsmtuner1Oct-19-07 11:45 AM
245 posts,
#28255, "RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy"
In response to Reply # 41

You quote the most right wing "news" site on the internet? Yeah, unbiased. Totally. You sure showed me.

What kind of response was that? You were mis-lead thats all. You were convinced of something that has hundreds of scientific theories that not only try to prove it, but also disprove those theories. You can't pick that data out of your post and claim it an almighty fact, thats all I'm saying. I Just personally think that any theory with holes in it is clearly just that,a theory. If its not consistant it surely isnt written in stone as a fact, thats for sure.

Nine5eclipse03Oct-19-07 11:49 AM
335 posts,
#28256, "RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy"

Im done with this now. The only persons opinion who is fighting against it is completely biased. Take it out on your father, dont hate an entire population of people.

dsmtuner1Oct-19-07 12:07 PM
245 posts,
#28258, "RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy"
In response to Reply # 43
Oct-19-07 12:09 PM by dsmtuner1

Im done with this now. The only persons opinion who is fighting against it is completely biased. Take it out on your father, dont hate an entire population of people.

Why would I take it out on my Father? I don't hate my father? I changed his O2 sensors for him for free on Wednesday. Just because I don't agree with his choices certainly does not mean I hate him. He's my "dad" I love him. Not ot mention he didnt make these choices and leave until I was 18, its not like I was a deprived a father my whole life and angry about it.

totaleklipse97Oct-19-07 12:16 PM
3589 posts,
#28259, "RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy"
In response to Reply # 43

For every study about genetics there is a study done to disprove it. We have not dived deep enough into the human genome to even have a vague concept of what causes what. For every "sure genetic profile" there is a case that goes against the grain and disproves it. To say it's a genetic predisposition is not tangible. To say it is environmentally influenced is also wrong. You must step back and view any case of anomaly as a whole, not the sum of genetic predisposition or environmental influence. There is a much debate about "Nature v. Nuture" but the one clear aspect that becomes of the situation is that environmental stimuli triggers genetic factors. I'm studying this currently, and am currently being taught by one of the foremost leaders of sociology, and medical sociology research in the world.

This goes beyond the debate of whether being homosexual is predisposed or learned. The heart of this debate is truly the separation of government powers from the direct influence of religion, and where those powers are appropriately enforced. Is it right, under the constitution to regulate the marriage of two individuals at a Federal Level? Is it up for the states self governing to regulate the "contract of marriage"? If it is up to individual states to govern, is it right for other states to nullify that contract in light of laws for protecting the contract of marriage? At what point in our government is it appropriate for religion majority to intervene and dictate the regulations that we ALL abide by? Is it even appropriate to have religious influence in our legal system? I do believe this case will eventually reach the supreme court, it will not come down to a religious viewpoint when it does, but more of states right to regulate themselves. The sad fact is, the Supreme Court has been appointed by religiously motivated republican majority (Pres. Bush used much religious debate in his campaign, that is not to be denied.) so there will ultimately be a religious influence in the individual decisions, but how much so?

VW= The joy of driving

‹Jen› uh... the honor?
‹Jen› somehow.....

dsmtuner1Oct-19-07 12:33 PM
245 posts,
#28260, "RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy"
In response to Reply # 46

Originally posted by totaleklipse97
For every study about genetics there is a study done to disprove it. We have not dived deep enough into the human genome to even have a vague concept of what causes what. For every "sure genetic profile" there is a case that goes against the grain and disproves it. To say it's a genetic predisposition is not tangible. To say it is environmentally influenced is also wrong. You must step back and view any case of anomaly as a whole, not the sum of genetic predisposition or environmental influence. There is a much debate about "Nature v. Nuture" but the one clear aspect that becomes of the situation is that environmental stimuli triggers genetic factors. I'm studying this currently, and am currently being taught by one of the foremost leaders of sociology, and medical sociology research in the world. This goes beyond the debate of whether being homosexual is predisposed or learned. The heart of this debate is truly the separation of government powers from the direct influence of religion, and where those powers are appropriately enforced. Is it right, under the constitution to regulate the marriage of two individuals at a Federal Level? Is it up for the states self governing to regulate the "contract of marriage"? If it is up to individual states to govern, is it right for other states to nullify that contract in light of laws for protecting the contract of marriage? At what point in our government is it appropriate for religion majority to intervene and dictate the regulations that we ALL abide by? Is it even appropriate to have religious influence in our legal system? I do believe this case will eventually reach the supreme court, it will not come down to a religious viewpoint when it does, but more of states right to regulate themselves. The sad fact is, the Supreme Court has been appointed by religiously motivated republican majority (Pres. Bush used much religious debate in his campaign, that is not to be denied.) so there will ultimately be a religious influence in the individual decisions, but how much so?

good post - we need to get back on track of the topic. Thats all

dsmtuner1Oct-19-07 12:04 PM
245 posts,
#28257, "RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy"
Oct-19-07 12:10 PM by dsmtuner1

MAYBE THIS SOURCE IS BETTER FOR YOU. wikipedia

Simon levay -(your scientist) that made the study.

Controversy
Criticism has also come from contemporaries, some of whom have questioned LeVay's measurements, noting the structures themselves are difficult to see in tissue slices, and LeVay measured in volume, where others state cell count is more accurate. <12> Nancy Ordover notes "he has also been criticized for his small sample size and for compiling inadequate sexual histories."<13> Several of his colleagues have noted that the size of the nuclei could be impacted by AIDS, since INAH-3 is dependent on testosterone levels. <14>

Ruth Hubbard (author of numerous articles and one book highly critical of explaining human behavior through genetics) and her son Elijah Wald noted in their co-authored book, "Though, on average, the size of the hypothalamic nucleus LeVay considered significant was indeed smaller in the men he identified as homosexual, his published data show that the range of sizes of the individual samples was virtually the same as for the heterosexual men. That is, the area was larger in some of the homosexuals than in many of the heterosexual men, and smaller in some of the heterosexual men than in many of the homosexuals. This means that, though the groups showed some difference as groups, there was no way to tell anything about an individual’s sexual orientation by looking at his hypothalamus." <16>

Byne noted "LeVay’s work has not been replicated, and human neuroanatomical studies of this kind have a very poor track record for reproducibility. Indeed, procedures similar to those LeVay used to identify nuclei have previously led researchers astray." <17> Biologist Joan Roughgarden notes that this is the tiniest of four "rice-grain" sized parts of the brain, and that sex and sexual orientation do not uniformly correspond to the hypothesis that "gay" brains are similar to "female" brains. <18>

LeVay cautions against misinterpreting his findings: "It’s important to stress what I didn’t find. I did not prove that homosexuality is genetic, or find a genetic cause for being gay. I didn’t show that gay men are born that way, the most common mistake people make in interpreting my work. Nor did I locate a gay center in the brain." <19> He has also stated in a Newsweek interview "if I didn’t find anything, I would give up a scientific career altogether," <20> a comment critics claim is evidence of bias. <21>

LeVay has been criticized for advocating fetal screening for traits like homosexuality in order to abort fetuses with unwanted traits. A New York Times book review noted, "Indeed, he cheerfully looks forward to the day when the 'new eugenics' born of the human genome project will enable women to abort fetuses likely to be carrying any traits they don't much care for, including homosexuality." <22>

Moderatorcs82685Oct-19-07 02:18 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2007 posts,
#28262, "RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy"
In response to Reply # 44
Oct-19-07 02:19 PM by cs82685

OK. I've asked for this from the beginning of the thread and I we all knew religion was going to play a big part. There will be asbsolutely no personal attacks on members of this board. You want to prove that you're a mature and intellectual member than argue the facts and opinions. Name calling and patronizing is uncalled for. Find different ways to make your statment so that it doesn't attack the person, but rather the statement. Yes it is very possible to do so. Now let's get back on track. Same sex marriage is an abominiation in the bible. Although religion is the base for laws, their place in the courtroom is negated by logic. Morals vs logic and logic wins. Morals are put in the back burner and it's proven in Lawrence vs Texas (2003). So how do we decide what stays and what goes then? I have deep true convictions in my morals. There is no doubt about it that it spawns from my respect for the law that was bored by religion. I guess you can say that I'm a dying breed. A traditionalist.

Let's pay attention to this post guys, again, no name calling/making fun of others, no immature comments.

Now I know this isn't what the original thread was about, but the spinoff debate of whether you are born homosexual or whether you learn it is also a good topic and can definetly be incorporated.

In my opinion, you are born that way. I have a gay second cousin who said he always knew he was gay. DSMtuner1, IMO your case seems to fit this. I doubt the day you turned 18 your father decided he no longer liked women, I bet he fought with himself for years about his feelings and probably postponed leaving for your sake b/c he was a good responsible father who knew that it was his responsibility to care of you and he would not fail to fulfill that responsibility. Granted you know more about the situation than any of us, and he knows more about it than you. This post is not to illicit negative feelings or single you out, but it illustrates a very common scenario.

Now to relate this back to the original topic.... I don't feel that it's 'right' morally, but again being that I think you are born with or without a predisposition to being attracted to the same sex, I don't think those who are attracted to someone of the same sex should be penalized for it, they should be allowed to share in the same financial (and other) benefits that same sex couples who get married are allowed.

I'm also not one of those people who says 'they are born that way and there's something wrong with them that needs to be fixed' I don't think it's something that needs to be fixed we all have different features/personalities and everything else that differentiates us from one another. The last time someone decided those differences were reason enough to fix the human race millions of people were killed. You would think everyone would have learned that differences are not something you should try and fix or get rid of, just accept people for who they are.

One more thing to ponder (in a whole other direction) why does it seem women are more likely to have a same sex encounter than men?

I contributed to the Wiki!
EVO IX - just a really expensive boost gauge and a K&N air filter
96 Eclipse RS -awaiting registration and inspection
95 Eclipse GS - parts car
Mods/Profile - http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=cs82685

eclipse_99rsOct-20-07 04:50 PM
Member since Apr 11th 2002
2659 posts,
#28273, "RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy"
In response to Reply # 36

I'll just ignore that comment except for the last sentence, since you think all christians are the same apparently. I assume you categorize all non-christians as bieng exactly alike as well? Now the last sentence: Don't tell me people who are gay don't choose to be. My dad and mom were married 25 years, before my dad walked out and went into a life of homosexuality. I still talk to my DAD sometimes and know his views on it. Quit placing statements where you don't have grounds to. Your views are from back in stands and your just making guesses now. You need to get off this idea that the everyone needs to be happy all the time. If that was the case we could all just stay doped up and sit at home and then lots of progress would be made, huh? I made my comments based on my views and opinions. You have no need to come in here making comments about not liking christians and calling them all names. I never said I hated you or complained about anything you do, so why are you trying to attack my posts everytime I post it. Keep your comments in relation to the thread title not the people posting in it.

People who are gay are gay, there is only the choice of coming out and saying you are gay. Your dad was pressured by society/religion/family to appear to be straight when the whole time he was gay. There is no choice!

myspace.com/coastiecobb

MalenkoOct-21-07 01:46 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3534 posts,
#28274, "RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy"
In response to Reply # 10

I dont care if its their right to have it or not. They shouldnt have shit like that on their cars. Its my belief that hondas suck nuts, but i dont have a bumper sticker that proclaims it. Does it bother you when you see a man and a woman all over each other in public? There should be no difference. I dont like PDA, its annoying, but i dont see a difference in the two.

Its not up to you to decide what they should and shouldn't have on their cars. My point is you're allowed to have a sticker that says Hondas suck, and its not their right to remove it. And yes it does bother me to see a man and woman all over each other in public. Theres a time and a place for it,if 2 dudes/chicks are hookin up at a bar then so be it, but I dont need to be at the grocery store buying eggs and see anyone dry humping in the frozen foods section.

It was nice you immediately assumed I was only pissed off at homos doing the overboard PDA thing though, thoughts like that keep this from truly being an open discussion.

I forgot to address polygamy, the last thing I need is 2 women complaining about me; so ones enough. I personally don't think multiple committed simultaneous partners under the same roof is feasible; jealous is one of the nastiest human traits and over a long enough time line it will inevitably become a factor.

pardon all the big words, Firefox has a built in spell checker and I was just testing it out.

dsmtuner1Oct-22-07 05:20 AM
245 posts,
#28289, "RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy"
In response to Reply # 50

maybe bringing up my father in this conversation was a mistake, because it has obviously cause misdirected comments pertaining to him in general.

This is my point. All religous beliefs aside for a minute. Simon Levay and Hamer are the 2 most prominent scientists who attempted to perform scientific tests that would prove homosexuality is a trait you were born with. Both scientists data was proven to be inconclusive and actually leaned more towards the fact that there is no difference in a heterosexual and homosexual person at birth. Both scientists have had active homosexual relationships with another male parter. I definately realize that this topic is strongly based more on personal opinion then factual logic, but let the facts be facts.

I mean whether you beleive in evolution or biblical prophecy makes absolutely no difference, in the fact that, male and female were either created or (evolved) for the sake of pro-creation. The body is designed the way it is for reasoning and function. Homosexual partners fullfill no needs other than hormonal, which we all know can be fullfilled be even yourself. So, I guess the question I ask you would be? Where are there any logical grounds for this disposition.

eclipse_99rsOct-22-07 07:30 AM
Member since Apr 11th 2002
2659 posts,
#28294, "RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy"
In response to Reply # 51

maybe bringing up my father in this conversation was a mistake, because it has obviously cause misdirected comments pertaining to him in general. This is my point. All religous beliefs aside for a minute. Simon Levay and Hamer are the 2 most prominent scientists who attempted to perform scientific tests that would prove homosexuality is a trait you were born with. Both scientists data was proven to be inconclusive and actually leaned more towards the fact that there is no difference in a heterosexual and homosexual person at birth. Both scientists have had active homosexual relationships with another male parter. I definately realize that this topic is strongly based more on personal opinion then factual logic, but let the facts be facts. I mean whether you beleive in evolution or biblical prophecy makes absolutely no difference, in the fact that, male and female were either created or (evolved) for the sake of pro-creation. The body is designed the way it is for reasoning and function. Homosexual partners fullfill no needs other than hormonal, which we all know can be fullfilled be even yourself. So, I guess the question I ask you would be? Where are there any logical grounds for this disposition.

I personally believe that it is genetic, I'm by no means an expert in this field. It just seams logical that boys/guys can be born with in a male body but go through life being attracted to other males through a slight genetic mis match. Vise Versa to Women. Now i have a friend who is gay, He is married and has kids with a woman who he truly loves. He is very obviously flamboyant, but was pressured by his religious family to appear to be straight. I have no problem with gays at all, for the most part they have their shit together more than anyone else. My statement in my last post is what i truly believe and doesn't make any sense to me any other way.

myspace.com/coastiecobb

DSMRoadsterOct-22-07 04:35 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3445 posts,
#28308, "RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy"

I mean whether you beleive in evolution or biblical prophecy makes absolutely no difference, in the fact that, male and female were either created or (evolved) for the sake of pro-creation. The body is designed the way it is for reasoning and function. Homosexual partners fullfill no needs other than hormonal, which we all know can be fullfilled be even yourself. So, I guess the question I ask you would be? Where are there any logical grounds for this disposition.

probably the most logical answer I've ever read. Hindsight, do you believe love is mostly influenced by chemical reactons? Now I ask this of you. Given the current state of society, would you believe that same sex marriage is a symptom and not a problem?

For their tomorrow,
We gave our today."
-- The Kohima Epitaph

dsmtuner1Oct-23-07 11:56 AM
245 posts,
#28330, "RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy"
In response to Reply # 54
Oct-23-07 11:56 AM by dsmtuner1

Originally posted by dsmtuner1 I mean whether you beleive in evolution or biblical prophecy makes absolutely no difference, in the fact that, male and female were either created or (evolved) for the sake of pro-creation. The body is designed the way it is for reasoning and function. Homosexual partners fullfill no needs other than hormonal, which we all know can be fullfilled be even yourself. So, I guess the question I ask you would be? Where are there any logical grounds for this disposition.
probably the most logical answer I've ever read. Hindsight, do you believe love is mostly influenced by chemical reactons? Now I ask this of you. Given the current state of society, would you believe that same sex marriage is a symptom and not a problem?

Please pick your definition of symptom so that I can make an accurate response to the question.

symp·tom

1. any phenomenon or circumstance accompanying something and serving as evidence of it.

2. a sign or indication of something.

3.A sign or an indication of disorder or disease, especially when experienced by an individual as a change from normal function, sensation, or appearance.

Nine5eclipse03Oct-23-07 05:47 AM
335 posts,
#28322, "RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy"

maybe bringing up my father in this conversation was a mistake, because it has obviously cause misdirected comments pertaining to him in general. This is my point. All religous beliefs aside for a minute. Simon Levay and Hamer are the 2 most prominent scientists who attempted to perform scientific tests that would prove homosexuality is a trait you were born with. Both scientists data was proven to be inconclusive and actually leaned more towards the fact that there is no difference in a heterosexual and homosexual person at birth. Both scientists have had active homosexual relationships with another male parter. I definately realize that this topic is strongly based more on personal opinion then factual logic, but let the facts be facts. I mean whether you beleive in evolution or biblical prophecy makes absolutely no difference, in the fact that, male and female were either created or (evolved) for the sake of pro-creation. The body is designed the way it is for reasoning and function. Homosexual partners fullfill no needs other than hormonal, which we all know can be fullfilled be even yourself. So, I guess the question I ask you would be? Where are there any logical grounds for this disposition.

I'm not looking at this situation through science. I'm saying that whether you or your scientists beleive it or not... homosexuality is not a choice. They dont become homosexuals for attention, or because it'll piss off mom and dad. They are physically attracted to the same sex, the way you and i are attracted to those of the opposite sex. That being said, i dont beleive its fair, that they have to throw that aside, and marry someone of the opposite sex, that they do not love the way they would love another of the same sex, just so that they can get some benefits from the government.

JefusthejuggaloOct-23-07 09:24 AM
Member since Jun 06th 2007
23 posts,
#28325, "RE: Same sex marriage and polygamy"
In response to Reply # 55

This seems to be a big discussion. I think, if you want to be gay than be gay. I'm PERSONALLY not bothered by it. The first post did want to hear personal opinions. I know gay people, both male and female. Good friends, and a good brother.

IMO peoples personal opinions are based from there morals, more so when dealing with a subject like this. Morals, I think are based on the way you where raised by Moms an Pops and, what you have gone through yourself. I was always told that if i mistreated a lady my father would beat my ass. Was told to respect them from my mother (separated when I was like 5ish) but always the same story from both of them. I know if I wanted to be gay, they would be ok with it. Now if you got up every Sunday and went to church and your parents told you that the word of God is "law". Than most likely thats what your morals will become based off of. I'm not saying that everyone that doesn't go to church will be gay. I never went to church, just saying things of that nature have a huge sway on the way you think. It could be by choice that people are gay or it could be in there blood, like dude said we really don't know a lot about DNA to make that kind of conclusion.

Also, think about what our parents went through when they where young, (I'm 20, we all seem to be around that age, with the exception of a few fossils) and how there parents raised them. That probly had an affect on the way that they raised you. Now think about what we are going through and how we are/where being raised. Thats going to affect our children in some way.

Back to the subject. I don't know a lot of court cases and I have never read the bible. But People are People and if they are gay by choice or by birth, I don't know if the government should have that much say in what we do in that sense. Getting Married is a special thing that should be enjoyed by ANYONE that wishes to do so.... Who invented Marriage any way?

Top Team 2GNT Community The Pits v3.1 topic #28163 Previous topic | Next topic