Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #58545
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Zex Wet or NX wet?" 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Previous topic | Next topic
FryguyOct-14-03 05:47 AM
Member since Oct 02nd 2002
55 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#58545, "Zex Wet or NX wet?"

I've got a 97 RS with a couple BPMS (intake/exhaust/plugs/wires) and a basically complete suspension, and my goal is to be quite a bit faster, and since I don't have 4000ish to throw down on a turbo + install + basic supporting mods for safety etc, I'm choosing to go nitrous. Now, I know to get a wet kit, and I've seen NX wet for around $530 for the base kit, how much is Zex, and which is better from a safety standpoint? From a speed standpoint? I am not going to be replacing any internals, and I plan on running about a 50-60 shot. About the only mod I plan on doing is getting NGK plugs 1 step colder (how do the colder plugs affect driving off the bottle?). My car has 95k on it, and I'm relatively concerned about reliability, but I also want to be able to spank some other cars on the road more than what I'm spanking now (most notably I want to be able to hang with/beat my friends 2004 WRX, that rich bastard).

I don't want to save up for a turbo, as I plan on buying a new car in 2-3 years when I get out of college, and by the time I have 4000 saved up for the turbo, I'll be throwing that down as part of a down payment on something like an STI. Since I can do a whole nitrous setup for under $1000, it's much more viable for my needs/budget.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
tim97rsOct-14-03 05:53 AM
Donating 2GNT member
4255 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#58546, "RE: Zex Wet or NX wet?"
In response to Reply # 0

Def. go NX! i had it and was very happy. honda drivers use Zex, your not a honda driver are you

NX is better.

USED TO HAVE...Everything you wish you had, and then some...

You are somebody special Tim, you matter! - from the admins (but nobody likes you, because your username is just like that other guy's, and you whine a lot)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

FryguyOct-14-03 06:09 AM
Member since Oct 02nd 2002
55 posts,
#58548, "RE: Zex Wet or NX wet?"
In response to Reply # 1

Sure it's faster, but is it as safe as zex?

Also, how is the NX kit engaged? I know zex is armed, and then it's activated at WOT.

I'm looking for the optimum in safety when using this. I plan on having an a-pillar pod cluster with an A/F gauge and an EGT guage just to keep things in check. Anything else I need to do to ensure safety (besides strengthening engine interals, which is obvious, but I already said I don't want to mess with my engine)

DarkRacerOct-14-03 09:40 AM
Member since Oct 01st 2003
16 posts,
#58576, "RE: Zex Wet or NX wet?"
In response to Reply # 2

Nothing is safter than Zex. If you think so, then where is the NMU for the NX aye? Or would you rather just hit a button and cram nos into your engine? Go Zex (or if you have thousands to spend) Venom. I personaly use Zex, and anyone who thinks your not *fast* with it, I have mid 14s with using Zex. Its all down to driving. And whoever wuz the dude saying something about hondaz, people drive hondas cuz they poor, they go to autozone cuz they poor, they put APC stickers on there car...cuz..They poor! Anyone who is serious about racing gets nitrious. If they are smart they get Zex. The people in F&F used the NOS brand, and that shit is made by FORD! Nothin is safter than Zex, and I can back that up with many logical statments, whats safe about Nx? Not a damn thing. Its set up to where you push a button and the nos flows... If saftey is your number 1 priority, as it should be, then get Zex.

Raven457Oct-14-03 10:20 AM
Member since Nov 24th 2002
213 posts,
#58578, "RE: Zex Wet or NX wet?"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by DarkRacer
The people in F&F used the NOS brand, and that shit is made by FORD!

What the hell are you talking about? Learn yourself some history, son.

http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/ProdLine/Products/NOS/GenInfo/History.html

Finally, in the 1970s, nitrous "came out of the closet". It was the hot topic of conversation. Especially since a number of entrepreneurs brought systems to market that were highly erratic, at best. It was at this point in time when a couple of successful automotive technicians and racers, Mike Thermos and Dale Vaznaian, saw there was a potential for nitrous -done right.

In 1978 Mike and Dale formed Nitrous Oxide Systems, Inc., and the rest is history. They didn't invent nitrous oxide -they simply perfected its use and elevated it to a position of prominence in the automotive performance community.

http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/NewsInfo/History/History.html

The company was then aquired by Holly (you know, the carburetor company? Yeah, them.) and has been sold as under the licensed brand name NOS ever since.

...Immediately following the purchase from Coltec, Holley set out to do just that--to be a larger, more aggressive company--and to stamp its role as the heart and soul of performance. Several strategically important company buy-outs materialized that included Hirel Technologies Fuel Injection, Weiand Automotive Industries and Lunati. These initial purchases were later followed with Hooker Headers, Flowtech and Airmass exhaust products, NOS nitrous systems...

While you could indeed pop the hood on many Fords and find a Holly carb, Holly wasn't ever owned by Ford - they merrily enjoyed a cozy working relationship with FoMoCo.

VendorHRCOct-14-03 10:55 AM
Old School 2GNTer
374 posts,
#58581, "RE: Zex Wet or NX wet?"
In response to Reply # 4

I'll bet he never says THAT again (NOS owned by Ford)}(

Raven457Oct-14-03 11:02 AM
Member since Nov 24th 2002
213 posts,
#58582, "RE: Zex Wet or NX wet?"
In response to Reply # 5

one can hope.

VendorHRCOct-14-03 11:09 AM
Old School 2GNTer
374 posts,
#58585, "RE: Zex Wet or NX wet?"
In response to Reply # 3

I see both sides of this debate. There's a lot to be said for the safety features built into a Zex, but I don't see it as an argument against the NX. Follow the instructions and set it up as they say, school yourself on the do's and don'ts of nitrous (which you should do ANYWAY, lol) and NX can deliver lots of nitrous fun. We've used their equipment exclusively for years, and their four nozzle system (port injection) fits nicely under the intake manifold of a 420A DSM.

importzruleOct-14-03 11:16 AM
Member since May 12th 2003
162 posts,
#58586, "RE: Zex Wet or NX wet?"
In response to Reply # 7

NOS "equals" FORD....the dumbest comment I think I have ever heard on this forum, think before you speak, and dont speak if you dont know what the hell your talking about.

-Ryan a.k.a. "r'ICE'r" 99EclipseGS "10th Anniversary Edition" *2Low,2Slow* / Superior Master Of The A604 / 18.418 1/4e.t. .165 r/t

98TalonOct-14-03 11:46 AM
Member since Apr 22nd 2002
1096 posts,
#58589, "RE: Zex Wet or NX wet?"
In response to Reply # 8

Seriously, and I mean this from the bottom of my heart, if he would've said that to me in person, I would've slapped him... backhanded, like "bitch, shut up" style. Zex kits suck ass, get NX or N.O.S. I understand that you're concerned about safety, but if you aren't smart enough to not push the button when you don't want to spray, then you shouldn't have nitrous in your car anyway. Furthermore, you can put a WOT switch (which will make it only spray when the accelerator is to the floor) on an NOS or NX kit as well.

1990 Eclipse GS-T

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneOct-14-03 12:15 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#58592, "RE: Zex Wet or NX wet?"
In response to Reply # 9

Be nice guys, teh comment was made by a newbie, who probably just didn't know.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #58545 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Previous topic | Next topic