Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #57443
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Gottude Turbo Kit Information and Pics" 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Previous topic | Next topic
Eclipse2NROct-01-03 01:43 PM
Member since Nov 25th 2002
581 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#57443, "Gottude Turbo Kit Information and Pics"

Hey all! I finally got all my stuff from Bill (motofool), and we did the turbo install over the weekend. It was pretty rough at times, but in the end it came out ok. Here's a list of the parts:

Garret 60 Trim T3 Turbo
Unknown Manifold
Vortech SFMU
Billet Fuel Rail
All new fuel lines from the pump to the rail and back
30# Fuel Injectors
1G Side-Mount Intercooler
Walbro 255 LPH In-Tank Fuel Pump
Yadda yadda you get the picture.

Anyway, I will first say that Bill's kit left quite a bit to be desired. First thing we noticed was that the downpipe was not going to work very well. It hit about everything on the way down to the cat that it possibly could. I blame this on him changing manifolds at the last minute, and building up the downpipe on a different style of manifold. Still, it's no excuse for an improperly fitting piece. We had to cut out a large section of the downpipe, and replace it with flexible exhaust pipe, which is far from airtight, and leaks a lot. It was the only way we could use any of his downpipe. Secondly, he did not send me a lot of little odds and ends. I had to make about 10 runs to the hardware store to buy nuts and bolts. Also, the oil sender block where you hook up the oil feed line (it screws into the back of the engine block) would not fit. The threads were correct, but there was a part of the engine in the way, and it would not thread in nearly far enough. We had to go to Menards and dig through all the plumbing fittings to find an extension.

Next problem, the new manifold he uses places the turbo in a very high location, high enough so that my aerogear preditor hood will not close. This may not be an issue on factory hoods, but if they can shut, it would deffinately be touching the hood.

The fuel system installed fairly straightforward, but his home-made fuel rail brackets did not work very well, and we had to modify them so that the fuel rail would sit at the correct angle and allow the injectors to seal into the rail, otherwise they would leak fuel. The fuel lines he included, however, were very nice, utilizing hard aluminum line from the pump up to the firewall, transitioning to braided line, right into the fuel rail. From the other end of the fuel rail, was about a one foot length of braided line, into the SFMU. From the SFMU, 3 feet of braided line, connecting to a length of hardline, back to the tank on the return side of things.

He used a typical flange/nut system where you drill into the oil pan, slide the flange through the hole, spin a nut on the end, and hook up a rubber hose and run it to the turbo oil drain flange. He did not include any gasket material for the flange on the pan, so we crafted a makeshift gasket from cardboard and RTV sealent.

All in all, the value I got from Motofool's turbo kit was exceptional. I recieved extremely high quality parts, and a lot of them. However, Bill had my money for about 4 months. He never told me that I would have to wait that long, and insinuated that I would have a kit shortly after payment. I know he had lots of problems along the way, and I understand that, but that time should have been allocated to sorting out all the kits shortcomings. Instead, I spent 3/4 of the install time driving from store to store looking for parts. He should have done this for me, thats what a "kit" is supposed to be. We had to do so much work to make this turbo system fit onto the car, I don't think I can honestly call it a GotTude Turbo kit. It's more like an Eclipse2NR Custom Hybrid Turbosystem. Anyone want one? I could buy all the same parts and put my name on it. Hell, I'll even include an air filter, unlike the GotTude Kit.

Here's some pictures of the various parts...

1996 Eclipse RS / 5-Speed / Body Components by Aerogear / Coated in Magnetic Red Metallic v2 - More at http://home.insightbb.com/~mgalyan/
Mark Galyan - Greenwood, Indiana

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Snail_GSOct-01-03 02:04 PM
Member since Jun 07th 2002
266 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#57447, "RE: Gottude Turbo Kit Information and Pics"
In response to Reply # 0

Congrats on making everything work Mark, nice write up. pts4u

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

grainOct-01-03 02:05 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2551 posts,
#57448, "RE: Gottude Turbo Kit Information and Pics"
In response to Reply # 0

that oil line looks like its a little low into the oil pan. might get backed up. i like the look of the turbo also. good job making YOUR kit work

corsagsboOct-01-03 02:09 PM
Old School 2GNTer
390 posts,
#57449, "RE: Gottude Turbo Kit Information and Pics"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm sorry to hear of the experience.... really. For the pieces parts used, and the amount of effort you had to put into the project, I hope such a thing isn't being promoted as a kit anymore. This just is not good. However, now you have a base to start with and I wish you the best of luck.

420a and ej20... both with boost

CollenteOct-01-03 02:21 PM
Member since Sep 20th 2002
2447 posts,
#57450, "RE: Gottude Turbo Kit Information and Pics"
In response to Reply # 3

I had a lot of the same problems, I had to use washers on my hood and it still is tight but I think It will be fine. I will have pics of mine up soon. I just took my dp to a muffler shop and they were able to get it perfect. So do you have your ic connected? How many PSI are you running?

Nick
97RS

turbo8u> shut your SUCK
ZAO684: NIPPLE warning...maybe>?

Eclipse2NROct-01-03 02:26 PM
581 posts,
#57451, "RE: Gottude Turbo Kit Information and Pics"
In response to Reply # 4

Thanks guys, I appreciate your support. My intercooler is completely piped, but the engine hasn't yet seen any boost. We started it up a few times to check for oil/fuel leaks and any thing else that could be obviously wrong. My fuel pressure was lean at idle, so I jumped that to about 29 psi at idle. Idled fine, we reved it slightly, but nowhere near enough to see boost. One odd thing we noticed, at very part throttle, it seems the turbo functions as a restriction, as we noticed -20 inhg on the boost gauge... never saw it that low unless decelerating. I'm assuming when not boosting, the turbo does restrict a little flow. Gonna finish up the little crap tomorrow, check for leaks one more time, and get her out in the road and feel the power. Might have to take off the hood, lol. Thanks everyone, couldn't have done it without the 2GNT Crew!

1996 Eclipse RS / 5-Speed / Body Components by Aerogear / Coated in Magnetic Red Metallic v2 - More at http://home.insightbb.com/~mgalyan/

silvreclipsersOct-01-03 02:42 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1756 posts,
#57452, "RE: Gottude Turbo Kit Information and Pics"
In response to Reply # 5

how much was it?

Eagle 5Oct-01-03 02:42 PM
Member since Jan 09th 2002
479 posts,
#57453, "RE: Gottude Turbo Kit Information and Pics"
In response to Reply # 5

I woudl say the turbo would affect the engine when not boosting. There is a turbine wheel in the way and that kind of blocks the path of air so that is probably why you saw low vac.

"Shop smart, shop S-Mart!" ~ Ash
Member # 1523

Eclipse2NROct-01-03 02:49 PM
581 posts,
#57455, "RE: Gottude Turbo Kit Information and Pics"
In response to Reply # 7

How much was it? I'm not supposed to say because I did not pay full estimated retail price, but lets just say it was less than 1700 including injectors.

silvreclipsersOct-01-03 02:51 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1756 posts,
#57456, "RE: Gottude Turbo Kit Information and Pics"
In response to Reply # 8

nice I need to start saving up for a turbo kit

Teamner947Oct-01-03 03:31 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3168 posts,
#57458, "RE: Gottude Turbo Kit Information and Pics"
In response to Reply # 9

is that an open to atmosphere wastegate?

if so, is it really loud? i've never heard one before. some say it sounds really cool.

2016 WRX STi Limited (current)
2001 A4 1.8tqms (donated)
1991 GVR4 #1933 (sold)
old.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=218 (dismantled)

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #57443 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Previous topic | Next topic