Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #100886
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Review of Treadstone Kit" 1 | 2 | 3 | Previous topic | Next topic
DSMTalonJul-22-07 07:51 PM
Member since Nov 13th 2005
267 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#100886, "Review of Treadstone Kit"

well i figure i might as well throw down some info about the treadstone turbo kit since i recently bought one and not too many people are running them yet. as far as the kit goes heres my take on it:

Intercooler:
Ive seen pictures of the intercooler they ship with the kit (TRV18.5) and once its mounted up...it aint pretty. it requires removal of the front impact brace, which wasnt even a consideration for my application. Hence, enter the TR6 intercooler which fits below the brace quite nicely and still flows pretty well. going this route requires extra piping that they sell separately from the kit and they have no idea what is necessary to plumb it up. Otherwise, the intercooler looks REALLY well built.

Turbo Manifold:
This thing is pretty beefy, and seems pretty well built. Really about the only complaint on this is that a few of the bolts are a PITA to get a wrench on( especially the one below the turbo flange) but otherwise its pretty nice.

Turbo:
What can i say you pick what you want from their inventory of turbonetics turbos.

Wastegate:
They give you a turbonetics evolution wastegate with the kit, along with a 5,7,9 psi spring kit. it looks pretty and bolts on well. otherwise i have no experience with this wastegate.

BOV:
The kit comes with your choice of a Greddy or HKS BOV flange, but the actual BOV is not included with the kit. It costs extra.

Oil Supply line kit:
This is one aspect of the kit that really sucks. There is absolutely no provisions for teeing off the Oil Pressure sender, nor is there any fittings for the return tube to the oil pan, theres just a flange for the bottom of the turbo.

Fuel System:
What fuel system? they give you NOTHING for the fuel system. Which is both a blessing and a curse. blessing because you dont have a bunch of junk parts( read:accel inline fuel pump that comes with hahn kit) so you can build your fuel system to your needs. Bad because this kit is far from a bolt on kit. They dont even sell you a FCD with the kit, it 's extra.

piping & air filter:
the piping is polished and looks pretty.lol. When it comes to actually plumbing up the turbo system this kit seems a bit inadequate, as the kit only comes with piping for a TR18.5 intercooler. even then it seems like there isn’t enough piping for that. The exhaust down pipe and wastegate dump tube are also pretty good looking. the flanges for them are pretty thick and the welds look good. the dump tube for the wastegate fits on nicely and doesn’t interfere with the A/C compressor, but the down pipe off the turbo does not allow for the factory A/C condenser cooling fan. There is a provision on the downpipe for an O2 sensor, and next to the flange is a nut that's welded onto it, that may be for a pyrometer( but i dont see how that can work). As far as the airfilter this is a total unknown to me. I'm not even going to try to guess as to its quality or anything of that sort. I'll just suffice to say its a conical air filter.

Overall: overall the kit seems a bit on the expensive side considering you get no fuel system components, no FCD, no BOV, and no instructions . However with the info on this site, installing the kit and building a fuel system is no problem at all. So far (im not even part way through the install yet) the only fitment issues ive run into is that the turbo interferes with the engine hanger on the exhaust side of the head.

Sanity's Eclipse

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2 | 3
2GeclipseRSJul-25-07 10:44 AM
Member since May 06th 2007
781 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#100930, "RE: Review of Treadstone Kit"
In response to Reply # 0

My review of pre-fab turbo kits:

Waste of money.

Goodnight sweetheart...yes its time to go...bum bum bum bum bum...good night sweetheart yes I am one little a$$hole......bum bum bum bum....

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ivan300Jul-25-07 09:04 PM
Member since Dec 15th 2006
103 posts,
#100940, "RE: Review of Treadstone Kit"
In response to Reply # 1

i wanna also add my experience.

i did not mind the TRV18.5 intercooler, It does not fill up all the space and the bumper support has to be cut. Other than that its a well made beefy intercooler.

In the last pic the bumper looks a little bent in the bottom. That is because i didn't cut it yet to fit perfectly i was too anxious to drive it haha.

I have to agree 100% with the oil fittings. Mine came with a bunch off fittings but they were all the wrong size. It is not a big deal though as they are readly available and cheap.

I am very satisfied with this kit. For the price its unbeatable.

99 Eclipse GS(with Turbo),Turbonetics 60-1 0.63a/r, MS II v3, 3" Turbo back exhaust, GSX Brakes, Wiseco 8.8:1 Pistons, Eagle Rods, Crane 14s, SS Valves, Felpro Gasket Kit, Obx Lsd, Southbend Fe Clutch, Ebay Short Shifter, Pioneer Avic-N3, 12" Alpine Type-R

Moderatorcs82685Jul-26-07 05:08 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2007 posts,
#100946, "RE: Review of Treadstone Kit"
In response to Reply # 2

*cough* wiki contribution *cough*

I contributed to the Wiki!
EVO IX - just a really expensive boost gauge and a K&N air filter
96 Eclipse RS -awaiting registration and inspection
95 Eclipse GS - parts car
Mods/Profile - http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=cs82685

VelocitaPaolaJul-26-07 06:39 AM
Member since Jun 13th 2005
626 posts,
#100947, "RE: Review of Treadstone Kit"
In response to Reply # 0
Jul-26-07 06:39 AM by VelocitaPaola

Originally posted by DSMTalon
They dont even sell you a FCD with the kit, it 's extra.

It may come separate, but it's a damn good FCD they sell...

-http://www.symtechlabs.com/-

dsmtuner1Jul-26-07 10:52 AM
Member since Jul 03rd 2006
245 posts,
#100953, "RE: Review of Treadstone Kit"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by VelocitaPaola
Originally posted by DSMTalon They dont even sell you a FCD with the kit, it 's extra.
It may come separate, but it's a damn good FCD they sell... -http://www.symtechlabs.com/-

LOL, cause they buy them through you, loser

2 sets of injectors is better than 1 =)

DSMTalonJul-26-07 06:00 PM
267 posts,
#100959, "RE: Review of Treadstone Kit"
In response to Reply # 5
Jul-26-07 06:07 PM by DSMTalon

ill agree the FCD is a pretty nice unit i ended up purchasing mine last weekend,however id recommend buying it through www.symtechlabs.com as its cheaper. and the instructions for the unit are very clear and detailed. which is more than i can say for the kit. well now that the kit is fully installed here are some more things ive noticed for those looking to install this kit in the future. the first is that youre gonna need an extension pipe of some sort to get the air filter they supply to fit, because it hits against the heater core hard lines on the exhaust side of the engine. the other thing is that the down pipe didnt allow for me to put the condenser fan back on the passenger side of the radiator..it swings out too far. it looks like theres still enough room for a slim line fan, but thats something that people may run into. other than the other usual things such as plumbing up the intercooler and connecting the downpipe, the install is pretty smooth. i would say that probably the biggest downfall( to me at this point anyway cuz my car is together but it doesnt run right) is the lack of any sort of fuel system setup. as far as fitment of the TR6 unit and whether or not it will fill up the opening in the front bumper, if i remember ill snap a pic of mine tomorrow( i dont have the eclipse front bumper, im working on a body kit install) with the front bumper cover off and someone else can be the judge.

Sanity's Eclipse

lild14Jul-28-07 08:29 AM
Donating 2GNT member
343 posts,
#100987, "RE: Review of Treadstone Kit"
In response to Reply # 6

could you post a pic of that down pipe installed on the car? thanks

=Dan=

98rs eclipse- Mods: BC2, C/F hood, custom turbo system consisting of a PTE SC50, turbosmart ultra gate (10psi), star FMIC and pipes, SFMU, HKS SSQV, 3" V-BAND downpipe from ATP, Zeitronix Wideband LCD displaying boost, egt and 02. *** SOLD and will be missed***

2006 gsxr 750- jardine gp1 exhaust, -1,+2 stealth sprockets, DID 525 chain, JD products pro TRE. 0-60 in a sneeze. ran a 10.8 avg 1/4 mile my first time to the track on street tires, stock swingarm and unstrapped.

DSMTalonJul-29-07 01:40 PM
267 posts,
#101003, "RE: Review of Treadstone Kit"
In response to Reply # 7

heres a pic of the intercooler. sorry its a crappy pic, but my digital camera is down so i snapped a pic of it with my palm. ill get a picture of the downpipe tomorrow and put it up.

Sanity's Eclipse

DSMTalonAug-04-07 07:08 PM
267 posts,
#101083, "RE: Review of Treadstone Kit"
In response to Reply # 8

heres the downpipe

Sanity's Eclipse

eclipsederekAug-23-07 05:31 AM
Member since Aug 23rd 2007
11 posts,
#101313, "RE: Review of Treadstone Kit"
In response to Reply # 0

I bought this kit about 3 months ago and for the cost of it I love it. The only problems I had with the kit is that I had to buy extra parts for the oil feed, I had to buy a couple of extra connectors for the intercooler piping, on the downpipe the O2 bung was welded on the oppsite side so I had to untangle it and hang it on the raditor fan so it wouldn't touch the exhaust, and for some reason I couldn't get the two bottom bolts on for the manifold. Other than that I would recommend getting this kit.

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #100886 1 | 2 | 3 | Previous topic | Next topic