Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #86061
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Oh my god - I've got BOOST!" 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Previous topic | Next topic
TeamMetalJimMay-16-05 08:27 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2135 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#86061, "Oh my god - I've got BOOST!"

Finally, after years of futzing around in the workshop and garage - I decided to go for it. The fuel system(034 EFI - 8 inj) and intercooler(1g SMIC) have been installed for months(years maybe?). I had completely replaced the stock fuel system long long ago. The IC pipes were just sitting around waiting to be installed. So what did it take? Well, my waterpump blew. Pour water in, and it just drained right out of the waterpump pully shaft. The timing belt was looking a little beat as well. So, I decided to pull the motor and finish up the turbo system while I was fixing it up.

One of the last things I needed to do for the turbo system was finish the downpipe. I had already made a "mock up" from the turbo down to the oilpan. The only section left to fab was from there to the cat. Luckily for me, after piecing it together and test fitting it - I was able to get away with a one piece downpipe from the turbo to the cat. I really didn't want to make it a 2 piece job cause I think the more joints you have, the more problems you can have. Anyway, I got it all put together and it turned out pretty nice. Custom 2.5" mandrel turbo back exhaust.

Like I said, most of the rest of the work was already done up to this point. I did need to modify the oilpan and fit the oil feed and drain lines on for the turbo.

Other than that it was just the little things for the turbo system - like get the vacuum lines all hooked up to the WG, 034 and BOV. There was one other thing I had sitting round the workshop that I thought I'd take a shot at installing. A Spec Stage 3 clutch(supposedly). Now, this clutch was given to me by a board member because he couldn't get it to work on his car. I say supposedly because its a 5 puck ceramic disk and the everyone else's Spec stage 3 is a 6 puck ceramic disk. Whatever. The problem he was having was that it wouldn't disengage at all. When he sent it out it actually looked pretty good to me. The flywheel was definately machined large enought to accept the disk. I didn't see any problems with the pressure plate. It wasn't untill I installed it onto the crankshaft and looked closely at the difference between the installed version and the stock clutch/flywheel/pp. It needed some bigger spacers between the pressure plate and the flywheel. I put some regular flat washers in there and it brought the pp tines up to where it looked like stock. I would have put the stock clutch back on unless I could have figured it out...but I did - so I left it on. And it works like a champ so far. A little grabby if you try to take off slow, but it engages/disengages just fine. Thanks Jake.

Ok, now for the good shit. I finally got all this stuffed into my engine compartment and fired it up. Of course it fired up on the first shot cause I'm a master with timing belts. But the really good news is that it wasn't leaking oil from the center cartridge, I didn't hear any vacuum leaks, there was nothing pouring out below the engine compartment. It all looked pretty damn good. I shut er down, did some final tweaks on the 034 programming and took it out for a spin.

Oh my god I have boost. MUHAHAHAHAH!!!! I only took it up to 5 psi before I lost it all, but damn...5psi felt pretty impressive. I backed off at 5psig cause thats all I wanted to do for now. I still don't know for sure what the WG is good for but it doesn't matter because I have a homemade MBC sitting in the workshop ready to crank it up to whatever it'll take. I got it back into the garage, it turned out that I forgot one stupid little thing. I forgot to put a cotter pin in the WG actuator linkage. The linkage just fell of the arm opening the WG and it had no more boost left to give to me. But those couple of 5psig runs were SWEEET. One other thing I developed by the time I got home was a(seemingly major) vacuum leak. The idle was just going crazy on me. I didn't see anything obvious from the top of the motor. It was probably either the plug I put in to block the idle passage for my Jeep 60mm TB, or its something with the secondary injector rail. No biggie. I already kind of have to wait to REALLY drive it again till Wedensday because I knicked one of the tranny seals taking out the passenger side axle and the parts wont be here till then. I'll figure it out and get going again. It does work.

15.7 is good N/A. Its as good as I'd like to have gotten it. I've turned to the dark side now. We'll see what happens from here.

All of the final install pics are here if you want to check them out http://woodstock.dimensia.com/Garage/turbo/Install My 5yo son took some of the pics....but thats ok because he helped me install the timing belt.

One last thing - that RFL is really really RFL. I love it.

95 Eclipse RS : 5 speed
15.7 @ 87.9mph
Jeep TB writeup - http://www.dimensia.com:81/jimbo/JeepTBfor2gnt.html

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
SILVERNTMay-16-05 08:33 PM
Member since Oct 05th 2002
4543 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#86062, "RE: Oh my god - I've got BOOST!"
In response to Reply # 0

way to go jim!!!!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

silvreclipsersMay-16-05 11:55 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1756 posts,
#86063, "RE: Oh my god - I've got BOOST!"
In response to Reply # 1

excellent!! great pics

Ducking_FumbassMay-17-05 01:47 AM
Member since Aug 30th 2004
1147 posts,
#86064, "RE: Oh my god - I've got BOOST!"
In response to Reply # 2

From where did you get that manifold? It looks like nothing that I have ever seen on a 2GNT...

techboyMay-17-05 02:18 AM
Member since May 20th 2002
1662 posts,
#86065, "RE: Oh my god - I've got BOOST!"
In response to Reply # 3

Congratulations Jim ... all I have to say is IT'S ABOUT FREAKIN TIME! Everytime I see you the fuel stuff and that intercooler is just hanging there

So, I have 20 bucks that says you made that manifold. Pretty sweet ... i like how you tweaked it to the side to make more room for the DP. Did I hear you say you were making one of those DP for me? lol

Bring 'er down when you get the chance, we'll go for a little "drive".

1999 Eclipse GST 4G63

AggressionMay-17-05 02:33 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3025 posts,
#86066, "RE: Oh my god - I've got BOOST!"
In response to Reply # 3
May-17-05 02:35 AM by Aggression

Very nice Jim! I actually love the way it sits at an angle in the engine bay...its different and I like it!

What psi do you plan on boostin her up too?

Do I see some delicious Yin Ling on that table?

--------------------

- 05 Subaru STi
- 97 eclipse gs (289whp w/ 276tq)

BumpinTalonMay-17-05 04:22 AM
Member since Mar 23rd 2004
2381 posts,
#86072, "RE: Oh my god - I've got BOOST!"
In response to Reply # 5

wow that manifold is crazy!! nice write up man, looks good

1995 Eagle Talon ESi

GSGoinFastMay-17-05 04:31 AM
Donating 2GNT member
822 posts,
#86073, "RE: Oh my god - I've got BOOST!"
In response to Reply # 6
May-17-05 04:32 AM by GSGoinFast

Originally posted by BumpinTalon
wow that manifold is crazy!! nice write up man, looks good

that is awesome, you are truely talented!!

i got one suggestion for you if you feel like it tho. if you want to paint that manifold, autozone now carries(atleast mine does) "Flame Proof Paint" good up to 2000 degrees. looks good on my downpipe, you might want to give it a try if. just a suggestion tho

but that is awesome, im very impressed(and jelous )

way to go!

-Chris
1999 Eclipse T-GS

2.4 Project is Officially underway

totaleklipse97May-17-05 04:50 AM
Member since May 14th 2003
3589 posts,
#86074, "RE: Oh my god - I've got BOOST!"
In response to Reply # 7

yes very cool jim, very innovative as usual from you! Can't wait to hear your feedback on your setup. Good luck with the tuning and enjoy positive pressure.

-----------------------------------

My DSM registry.......Powered By Exile Racing
VW= The joy of driving
DSM= The frustration of fixing

The wonders of 2gnt chat:

‹totaleklipse97› so what benefits do i get from being ur e-boyfriend
‹Jen› uh... the honor?
‹totaleklipse97› somehow i guess i got that title now
‹Jen› somehow.....

grainMay-17-05 05:06 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2551 posts,
#86075, "RE: Oh my god - I've got BOOST!"
In response to Reply # 8

sweet jim, not many people go the high-comp turbo route.

tim97rsMay-17-05 06:01 AM
Donating 2GNT member
4255 posts,
#86077, "RE: Oh my god - I've got BOOST!"
In response to Reply # 9

Well Hot Damn!!! 'bout time after all the help you gave me on my 034EFI to enjoy it your self!!!!Congrats and happy boosting!

USED TO HAVE...Everything you wish you had, and then some...

You are somebody special Tim, you matter! - from the admins (but nobody likes you, because your username is just like that other guy's, and you whine a lot)

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #86061 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Previous topic | Next topic