Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #70448
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Turbo In, THROWN ROD ???????" 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Previous topic | Next topic
eclipse982nrRSTMay-06-04 06:28 AM
Member since Mar 16th 2004
6314 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#70448, "Turbo In, THROWN ROD ???????"

Hey guys got the turbo put back in today and when i started it up i got this odd ping knock noise real fast. then when i was driving the first time every time my rpm's start to climb up, i get this odd ping knocking noise ... ??? is this s bad rod or piston or something or what else could it be? i dont under stand how i could have jacked up a rod or piston already. please help me guys!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneMay-06-04 06:49 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#70451, "RE: Turbo In, THROWN ROD ???????"
In response to Reply # 0

I'dneed more description of the issue before I'd be able to make a call on that...

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

eclipse982nrRSTMay-06-04 07:05 AM
6314 posts,
#70452, "RE: Turbo In, THROWN ROD ???????"
In response to Reply # 1

well its just an odd noise. i am taking off the oil pan in a little bit once the oil cools down to see if maybe a bearing is jacked up on the connecting rod. if the bearing is messed up then i can just swap a new one in and i should be ok. if the bearing scored the crank shaft then im in deep trouble! its just when ever the car starts up it makes this odd ping ping ping knocking noise and it doenst do it at idle. just when i start to accelerate the gas pedal down the rpm's start to climb up. doesnt make sense to me. any suggestions or anything ?????

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneMay-06-04 07:11 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#70453, "RE: Turbo In, THROWN ROD ???????"
In response to Reply # 2

Thrown rods do not go "ping". Thrown rods sound like someone it beating your motor with a sledgehammer.

Rod bearings have this deep, evil "tock tock tock tock" that increases with engine speed. It's an ominous sound. Makes me nervous just thinking about it.

'13 Evo X (mostly stock)

eclipse982nrRSTMay-06-04 08:04 AM
6314 posts,
#70458, "RE: Turbo In, THROWN ROD ???????"
In response to Reply # 3

maybe it is just a rod bearing then ... its almost like a tock tock tock (knocking) noise. im taking the oil pan off in 2 minutes to see whats up. how do i tell if its just the bearing that needs replaced???? thanks so much.

GTAGRIPMay-06-04 08:07 AM
Old School 2GNTer
369 posts,
#70459, "RE: Turbo In, THROWN ROD ???????"
In response to Reply # 4

Maybe you put the bulkhead in the oil pan for the oil return line where a rod is knocking it when it throws. Just an idea.

DSM Registry Profiles:
http://www.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=1410 (Eclipse)
http://www.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=1411 (Talon)

eclipse982nrRSTMay-06-04 08:32 AM
6314 posts,
#70461, "RE: Turbo In, THROWN ROD ???????"
In response to Reply # 5

the return pipe has 2 bolts going through the inside out ... i dont see how the rod could touch it, i dunno tho

GTAGRIPMay-06-04 08:42 AM
Old School 2GNTer
369 posts,
#70462, "RE: Turbo In, THROWN ROD ???????"
In response to Reply # 6

My oil return line came with a bulkhead (shown below)

When installing we had to be careful to not have it inline with a rod or it would have (could have I think) hit. If your oil fitting on the pan isn't like this then thats probably not the case for you. It just sounded like a possibility when you said you first started it up and heard the noise.

DSM Registry Profiles:
http://www.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=1410 (Eclipse)
http://www.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=1411 (Talon)

eclipse982nrRSTMay-06-04 09:08 AM
6314 posts,
#70464, "RE: Turbo In, THROWN ROD ???????"
In response to Reply # 7

no mine isnt like that at all. ya it does it when i start it up right away but then goes away real fast and doesnt do it at idle. only starts doing it when i accelerate on the gas pedal and turbo is only spooling up sometimes. any more suggestions.

customrsturboMay-06-04 09:18 AM
Member since Oct 06th 2003
249 posts,
#70465, "RE: Turbo In, THROWN ROD ???????"
In response to Reply # 8

It is a click, click or a clack, clack sound. Try checking on the wastegate rod. It maybe loose. If so, it will do a clicking noise and the turbo will not boost sometimes. I don't see why it damage a rod bearing just by installing a turbo kit before running the car first.

1995 Eclipse RS-T
GT35R, SPEC Stage 5 clutch
E85 Fuel(Helping the Ecosystem)
MS, v3.0, 029t
10.87 @ 135

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneMay-06-04 09:41 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#70468, "RE: Turbo In, THROWN ROD ???????"
In response to Reply # 9

SOunds like he has a STAR kit. There is no wastegate rod - it's an external gate, which is what real men use.

'13 Evo X (mostly stock)

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #70448 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Previous topic | Next topic