Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #80159
View in threaded mode

Subject: "4g63 ---> 420a turbo manifold adapter plate" 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Previous topic | Next topic
turbo8uDec-07-04 09:29 AM
Member since Jun 15th 2003
10552 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#80159, "4g63 ---> 420a turbo manifold adapter plate"

i was just thinking, how much farther or closer are the ports from a 4g63 and a 420a? if theyre not to far off i bet a peice of some 3/8 steel adapting the 4g63 to the 420a bolt pattern might be a good way of having some more manifold options open to us. what do you think? id need a 4g63 manifold and a 420a flange to see just how close or far the hole were off and if it would even work

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

96 Black ESi
91 Red TSI AWD (RIP)
02 WRX

"turnin wrenches for nine hours in the pouring rain, just to get the beast up and running again"

Aerospace Certified TIG welder for Precision Castparts in Portland, OR.

JoshSpair.com

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
WickedESiDec-07-04 09:42 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3090 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#80160, "RE: 4g63 ---> 420a turbo manifold adapter plate"
In response to Reply # 0

420a flange

4g63 flange

Can both be bought from turboflanges.com for $20 each.
http://www.turboflanges.com/MitsuDodge.htm

Joel Baldridge, ASE Certified Master Technician, Audi Certified Expert Technician

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

babybeclipseDec-07-04 09:44 AM
Member since Mar 01st 2002
3083 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#80161, "RE: 4g63 ---> 420a turbo manifold adapter plate"
In response to Reply # 1

Have fun!

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneDec-07-04 09:46 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#80162, "RE: 4g63 ---> 420a turbo manifold adapter plate"
In response to Reply # 2

There are so many fitment issues involved in this, i don't even wanna start.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

turbo8uDec-07-04 09:47 AM
10552 posts,
#80163, "RE: 4g63 ---> 420a turbo manifold adapter plate"
In response to Reply # 1
Dec-07-04 09:57 AM by turbo8u

thanks so much thats a very good picture, and also a good link */me bookmarks* im going to get a 4g63 flange and bring it to a metal fabrication shop and see what they think. it looks like it'll work but the 420a ports are smaller...hmmm...if anything it'll just be less restriction

input input input

Originally posted by DarkOne
There are so many fitment issues involved in this, i don't even wanna start.

please, start...i dont know if i could make it work or not until i see both flanges next to eachother. i want to hear what everyone has to say because come on...no one fucking makes decent manifolds for the 420a guys and if we had a solution such as this, a whole ton of people would would benefit from it.

i just ordered a 4g63 manifold flange for shits and giggles, i'll see if my fabricator guy has any tricks up his sleeve (im sure he does) and i'll let you guys know

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

96 Black ESi
91 Red TSI AWD (RIP)
02 WRX

"turnin wrenches for nine hours in the pouring rain, just to get the beast up and running again"

JoshSpair.com

soulcontrollerDec-07-04 10:25 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2490 posts,
#80166, "RE: 4g63 ---> 420a turbo manifold adapter plate"
In response to Reply # 4

pretty cool. now get a 4g63 ecu and figure out how to swap that out :p

turbo8uDec-07-04 10:31 AM
10552 posts,
#80167, "RE: 4g63 ---> 420a turbo manifold adapter plate"
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by soulcontroller
pretty cool. now get a 4g63 ecu and figure out how to swap that out :p

lol ...no way

mechanical shit is what i love, fuck electronics

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

96 Black ESi
91 Red TSI AWD (RIP)
02 WRX

JoshSpair.com

thedawgDec-07-04 10:40 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
#80170, "RE: 4g63 ---> 420a turbo manifold adapter plate"
In response to Reply # 6

Ok I'll start. Stick your finger between your turbo and your radiator fans. Oh wait- you cant. What makes you think a couple of 3/8" flanges are thinner?

Also notice the 4g63 manifold exits straight down.

That said, if you want a 4g63 manifold in perfect shape, I have one for sale, as usual.

turbo8uDec-07-04 10:49 AM
10552 posts,
#80171, "RE: 4g63 ---> 420a turbo manifold adapter plate"
In response to Reply # 7
Dec-07-04 10:51 AM by turbo8u

Originally posted by thedawg
Ok I'll start. Stick your finger between your turbo and your radiator fans. Oh wait-

slimlines own, and besides....the turbo wont be in the same spot with a 4g63 manifold...

im not talking about a stock manifold, persay...just 4g63 manifolds are evrywhere, including tubular equal lengths, etc etc...turbo location is much more tucked in anyway, away from the radiator

i dont think fitment will be a big deal

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

96 Black ESi
91 Red TSI AWD (RIP)
02 WRX

JoshSpair.com

thedawgDec-07-04 10:53 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
#80172, "RE: 4g63 ---> 420a turbo manifold adapter plate"
In response to Reply # 8
Dec-07-04 10:55 AM by thedawg

Why don't you just swap in the whole 4g63? It's an easy swap, fitment's no big deal.

Here's the writeup: http://evilboost.com/swaps.asp
(Edit: Link only works for IE because the author is an idiot, sorry.)

BlueMoonEclipseDec-07-04 10:55 AM
Member since Sep 25th 2003
1352 posts,
#80173, "RE: 4g63 ---> 420a turbo manifold adapter plate"
In response to Reply # 5

Hehehe honestly i would think if you bought a cheap (aka crack prone) pacesetter 4g63t exhaust, chopped off the flange and worked the 420a exhaust flange you could make it work...

thing is the 4g engine sits torwards the right side of the engine bay...most if not all 4g manifolds/hedders place the exhaust turbine housing sorta in the middle of the engine (right to left).....and the compressor side is offstet to the passanger side of the engine bay...whats the issue you might ask??

well our engine is the other way arround, and torwards the passanger side of the bay meaning now the turbo would interfear probably with your p/s, and acc on that side, NOW if you dont have Accessories this would not be such a big issue...and if you have a nice FMIC you can now run the tubbing to the intercooler...and straight back out to the TB instead of having to use a j pipe running back to the TB side(like you have to do if you dont have a hahn intercooler)

if you flip the turbo to have the compressor on the drivers side the problem is that now the turbo will be trying to become one with your radiator (remember unless its an on center turbine housing, the tangential turbo nousing will stick out hmmm 4 more inches when flipped arround, instead of tucking neatly under the headders)...see thats the reason its a lil harder to make an equal length turbo headder for us if you keep the compressor oriented torwards the drivers side..cause you gota go out and back (trying to get the turbo flange closest possible to the block within limits...this gives you space for your turbo between the block and the radiator)

Bleh do eeet...im not saying it couldent be done...i was contemplating doing this back when i originaly had my 16g (yah i was plannning to hack the cheap pacesetter headder to make it fit ) ....hmm hmm cracking bad though

vote for your choice of body style for Bluie!! http://www.cardomain.com/id/bluemooneclipse

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #80159 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Previous topic | Next topic