Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 3 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #98054
View in threaded mode

Subject: "engine dressup" 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Previous topic | Next topic
99blackclipseMar-07-07 06:23 AM
Member since Dec 17th 2006
128 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#98054, "engine dressup"
Mar-07-07 06:32 AM by 99blackclipse

I want to dress up the engine a little bit before spring comes and i was thinking about maybe blue coloring. I just dont know what to dress up and i want to paint the DOHC valve cover blue but i dont know what to do. I also wanted to polish my header because they're black and i could tell that they were silver under the black paint because they are knock offs : heres a pic... is it possible?

Any suggestions would be nice, i dont want to make it tooo ricey tho
Thanks

Oh my eclipse is black on the outside.

eX-Drivers

"Eclipse tuners are a strange sort. They don't like talking about wings or color-matching side skirts and interiors. Eclipse tuners are performance-obsessed sleeper fanatics who dream only about downpipes, exhuast gases, and wastegates. Their cars aren't pretty, but have the ability to spank you silly on the highway. In other words, Eclipse tuners write checks their cars can cash. Mention the word "chrome" and they might drop a boot to your skull" -SuperStreet

My Wiki page- http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=99Blackclipse

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
edxmonMar-07-07 08:03 AM
Member since Jul 26th 2005
1006 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#98057, "RE: engine dressup"
In response to Reply # 0

I coated my pacesetter header with ceramic spray. It helps insulate a little bit and it looks cool. just make sure you spray it on while the parts are hot so it doesn't bubble and chip. There is also the Copper-A-gasket thingy that people say looks gun metal after the parts get real hot.

Originally posted by turbo8u
his girl kept looking out and down my car like uh ok we're in this 100 whatever thousand dollar car and that little whatever it is just raped us.... turbo screamed past the window like a vortex of ownage :-P robbing his engine of all the air around, and thats how i like it

Originally posted by ez
I came across a huge sack of walnuts in my grandmas garage - I better make use of them.

I contributed to the wiki! My Page: edxmon

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

mreigleMar-07-07 08:11 AM
Member since Jun 21st 2006
426 posts,
#98058, "RE: engine dressup"
In response to Reply # 1

Header wrap looks more aggressive, lasts longer, and will keep temps a little cooler.

edxmonMar-07-07 08:15 AM
1006 posts,
#98059, "RE: engine dressup"
In response to Reply # 2
Mar-07-07 08:15 AM by edxmon

Hmm what do you mean "aggressive"? Because he wants to dress UP his engine, and I disagree with you if you are saying wrap looks "good" under the hood. I agree its more functional but you certainly wont see it on show cars... or so I think

his girl kept looking out and down my car like uh ok we're in this 100 whatever thousand dollar car and that little whatever it is just raped us.... turbo screamed past the window like a vortex of ownage :-P robbing his engine of all the air around, and thats how i like it

Originally posted by ez
I came across a huge sack of walnuts in my grandmas garage - I better make use of them.

99blackclipseMar-07-07 10:19 AM
Member since Dec 17th 2006
128 posts,
#98063, "RE: engine dressup"
In response to Reply # 3

The header i havent installed yet so theyre not on the car. The stuff youre talking about 'ceramic spray' where do i get this? and do you have any pics of yours?

Mine are already black so is this just like spray paint that goes over it? wouldnt it chip and look shitty?

Also, what about the valve cover...if i were to take it off and paint it is there anything i should do before i paint it or can i just paint it like anything else?

Sorry im asking lots of questions but thanks for any replys.

eX-Drivers

"Eclipse tuners are a strange sort. They don't like talking about wings or color-matching side skirts and interiors. Eclipse tuners are performance-obsessed sleeper fanatics who dream only about downpipes, exhuast gases, and wastegates. Their cars aren't pretty, but have the ability to spank you silly on the highway. In other words, Eclipse tuners write checks their cars can cash. Mention the word "chrome" and they might drop a boot to your skull" -SuperStreet

My Wiki page- http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=99Blackclipse

RallyEclipse98Mar-07-07 11:56 AM
Member since Feb 22nd 2007
165 posts,
#98065, "RE: engine dressup"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by edxmon
and I disagree with you if you are saying wrap looks "good" under the hood. I agree its more functional but you certainly wont see it on show cars... or so I think

I agree also, plus I've heard some bad stories about heat wrap bonding to the headers after a while and becoming a sticky, melted mess.

RoninEclipse2GMar-07-07 01:14 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#98067, "RE: engine dressup"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by 99blackclipse
The header i havent installed yet so theyre not on the car. The stuff youre talking about 'ceramic spray' where do i get this? and do you have any pics of yours? Mine are already black so is this just like spray paint that goes over it? wouldnt it chip and look shitty? Also, what about the valve cover...if i were to take it off and paint it is there anything i should do before i paint it or can i just paint it like anything else? Sorry im asking lots of questions but thanks for any replys.

I just bought high temp paint at the parts store in the color I liked, take off the cover and degrease the hell out of it, rinse repeat, etc. use some paint thinner or something similar that dries without residue and really scrub it clean, once it dries paint away, make sure to tape off the gasket surfaces tho, give it overnight to dry and reinstall, you'll probably need new gaskets, mine always stretch every time that I take my VC off and put sealant where needed after cleaning mating surfaces yada yada yada. it'll smell like crap and look like your engine is smoking for the first few trips but it'll cook the paint on really good and the smell usually goes away after a few days. i'll try to get some pics of mine. supposedly you can use automotive paint on the vc gasket if you prime with the ceramic, I haven't tried that, correct me if I'm wrong guys

edxmonMar-07-07 01:15 PM
1006 posts,
#98068, "RE: engine dressup"
In response to Reply # 5

The ceramic coating spray cans you can get at any decent autoparts store, kragen, autozone, napa, etc. I got my header used from ebay, and this is what I did: Cleaned it, remove any oil and rust on it then sand it with medium grit sand paper. You might need higher grit since I would recomend you remove the black paint before spraying them with ceramic. Install them and let the car warm up to operating temp. THEN spray them while ON the car. This way the paint wont bubble. You could also spray them lightly while off the car, and brush or sand of the chips once it bubbles. The ceramic coating is silver btw. As for the valve cover, do a quick search on it, there are many threads and maybe even some walkthroughs. Ill get pics of it tonight, and have them on here tomorrow.

Originally posted by ez

RoninEclipse2GMar-07-07 01:25 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#98069, "RE: engine dressup"
In response to Reply # 7

for headers I've heard you can pre cook them to prevent bubbling throw them in the oven at 300* after spraying for 30 min

edxmonMar-07-07 03:09 PM
1006 posts,
#98070, "RE: engine dressup"
In response to Reply # 8

the exhaust gases going through the HEADER "cooks" it without risking your moms/wifes stove

Originally posted by ez

edxmonMar-08-07 06:17 AM
1006 posts,
#98073, "RE: engine dressup"
In response to Reply # 9

Here you go bro. Sorry everything is so dirty, but school/work has been eating all my car time lately

Originally posted by ez

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #98054 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Previous topic | Next topic