Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #69783
View in threaded mode

Subject: "How do you fix a busted front fascia?" 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic
TanDaMan99Mar-29-04 08:01 PM
Member since Mar 24th 2004
128 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#69783, "How do you fix a busted front fascia?"

Hey, My 97 RS was involved in a little incident and now there's a pretty good crack running up the right side of the face. I was just gonna wait until I could get a new Buddy Club 2 kit but my financial situation is telling me not to hold my breath.
The point is, how do I fix my stock face? It's made of fiberglass so should I try my hand at sealing it up with more fiberglass or should I use bondo? I few tiny pieces fell off from the bottom so I got quite some filling to do. I hope someone can help give some suggestions.

She's a good car. But it's time for me to move on. I'll miss her more than anything but my next car will have the same heart with the same passionate drivers. I hope things workout best for the both of us.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2
GhEttOrAiDMar-29-04 08:17 PM
Member since Oct 22nd 2002
1226 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#69785, "RE: How do you fix a busted front fascia?"
In response to Reply # 0
Mar-29-04 08:18 PM by GhEttOrAiD

a stock front bumper cover will be made of urethane

but fiberglass isnt a bad place to start... just pick up a kit and some sandpaper from <parts store> and go at it. you'll still have to get it repainted though

<edit> another thing to try, if its a crack on a relatively flat/uncurvy part of the bumper is JB Weld... just has to cure for a few hours (15 to be fully cured...) and it'll hold it perfectly. its sandable too so you can make it look decent after its all set up

FS: 2.5" Test Pipe 25 shipped

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

nightwolf2369Mar-29-04 08:18 PM
Member since Nov 19th 2003
951 posts,
#69786, "RE: How do you fix a busted front fascia?"
In response to Reply # 1

so if you can get one for cheap on here.

I no longer have my 99 rs because i totaled it!!!

BuckNuttyMar-29-04 08:53 PM
Donating 2GNT member
7235 posts,
#69787, "RE: How do you fix a busted front fascia?"
In response to Reply # 2

well...you can find the 95-96 bumpers al over teh place really cheap (like $50)...97+ Talon and Eclipse bumpers are in high demand due to their schwing factor and fetch more monies ( generally $100+)

I wouldn't suggest using fiber glass to fix urethane...urethane bands and fiberglass doesn't...so if the bumper bends all teh work you put into it is gone...JB weld is a possibility though...never tried it personally.

SteveMar-29-04 09:07 PM
Member since Sep 15th 2003
1542 posts,
#69788, "RE: How do you fix a busted front fascia?"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by BuckNutty
schwing factor

that was funny.

Steve-o
Top secret.

Originally posted by FlyinEsi
I guess I'll just have to live with a 500+ hp AWD 4-banger.

SkrillaMar-30-04 05:07 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1868 posts,
#69799, "RE: How do you fix a busted front fascia?"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by BuckNutty
...97+ Talon and Eclipse bumpers are in high demand due to their schwing factor and fetch more monies ( generally $100+)...

oooohh kinda like MY bumber

Check the sig yall

*Skrilla
"Honest officer, I thought you were trying to race me"
Talon: 1st 2.4L
'97 Prelude
'04 350Z

Originally posted by YourInMyMirror95GS
dick teaser's should be rounded up and shot in the forehead
Originally posted by etx
Good luck man! Project 'STFU Brian your talon is dead meat' should be on it's feet soon!
Originally posted by Dark0ne
Thanks. Now excuse me while i fuck your sister.
"fuck all motor" -turbo ate you

TanDaMan99Mar-30-04 07:53 AM
128 posts,
#69804, "RE: How do you fix a busted front fascia?"
In response to Reply # 0

Alright, I read up on the JB weld and it looks like good stuff. I'm probobly gonna give that a try. I also plan on trying to respray the front bumper black myself. Nothing fancy though. Just gonna get some Duplicolor from Autozone and some clearcoat. I hope it works out. Thanks everyone.

PS
Nightwolf2369 I have no idea what you said(Typed).

She's a good car. But it's time for me to move on. I'll miss her more than anything but my next car will have the same heart with the same passionate drivers. I hope things workout best for the both of us.

BearkatMar-30-04 08:27 AM
Member since Mar 17th 2004
416 posts,
#69807, "RE: How do you fix a busted front fascia?"
In response to Reply # 6

I bet he meant to say "See if you can get one (a bumper) cheap on here."
I have a Wings West Agressor front bumper I'm selling for $250 shipped. I'll send pics if you are interested. Its painted red though.

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonMar-30-04 10:44 AM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#69814, "RE: How do you fix a busted front fascia?"
In response to Reply # 7

there is a bonding agent similer to glue or expoxy that is used on urethane. about 30 a tub at any autobody store and it is one use then the tube is garbage.....it ends up hardening on you

Terry

96 Eagle talon ESI
rear disk conversion - Niche 17" chrome shoks - Stillen front and rear sway bars - Koni yellows wrapped with eibach - Star Stage II - Optima locate in the hatch - Tenzo-R seats/4 pt harness - momo Steering wheel - Boost/oil/EGT gauges, HKS TT

Waiting to be installed: Apexi AFC, HKS EVC IV, ceramic intake, 355 neon tranny, stage 2 MIBA clutch, Power doors, 450 Turbo injectors, Adj Fuel reg/return line, Backseat eliminator kit(my design), GSX Front brakes (need rotors)

TanDaMan99Mar-30-04 12:14 PM
128 posts,
#69818, "RE: How do you fix a busted front fascia?"
In response to Reply # 8

Yeah, I'll probobly try something like that if Autozone or Pepboys doesnt have the JB Weld. With the kind of damage I got goin on I'll probobly end up using the the whole tube of either. After the respray and such I'm also gonna try to brace the lower part of the fascia. My old rusted stock one has already come off and is busted from snaging so many things. Anyone already build a new brace? I was just gonna bolt them to some small L beams and bend them where neccessary.

PS
Thank you bearkat. And thanks for the offer but I think I'll just try my hand at the repairs first.

speedtekMar-30-04 06:55 PM
Member since Dec 30th 2003
150 posts,
#69860, "RE: How do you fix a busted front fascia?"
In response to Reply # 9

Your bumper should be urethan, not fibgerglass...anywayz you should really try and go to those ghetto mexican shops and garages......those people DO know alot and can fix anything, i bought my 97-99 bumper with a HUGE crack.... and i went top notch shops as in maaco and bodyshops that have A+ reviews and have been in business for yeras....but nada, none of them knew how to fix urethan bumpers.... but then thought why not try shops and garages.....and low and behold the first guy i found could do it.....and DAMNIT HE FIXED THAT THING BACK TO STOCK.... and for 50 bucks i might add =o)......try it out, doesnt hurt

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #69783 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic