Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #102220
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Broked Turn Signal stays on all the time" 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic
EclipseMGPApr-19-06 06:03 PM
Old School 2GNTer
63 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#102220, "Broked Turn Signal stays on all the time"

I was driving home tonight and put on my left turn signal. Now it's stuck on. It won't turn off. Checked: Blubs, fuse, disconnect battery, hazards work too.

I've read a couple things about the turn signal relay behind the radio or the actual switch in the sterring wheel going bad. Anyone have any other good ideas or write ups on how to check this stuff out? '98 RS without cruise.

Thanks

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2
djtrickeeApr-20-06 05:00 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5924 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#102221, "RE: Broked Turn Signal stays on all the time"
In response to Reply # 0

Just in case anyone was wondering...

Broked = Broken (in normal English)

.........................................................................................................................

Built. That's All...
.........................................................................................................................
www.monkeybuttpirate.com
2 Fingers of Scotch with a milk back... Stat!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

EclipseMGPApr-20-06 05:42 AM
Old School 2GNTer
63 posts,
#102222, "RE: Broked Turn Signal stays on all the time"
In response to Reply # 1

Thanks for the response. Maybe you should look to help instead of pointing out obvious mistakes made on purpose.

Shall I take a look back at your posts to check for mistakes?

mcgyvrApr-20-06 05:46 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3121 posts,
#102223, "RE: Broked Turn Signal stays on all the time"
In response to Reply # 2

replace the broked switch in the steering column

1998 dodge avenger 4 cyl AT
Mods are:
Not enough

EclipseMGPApr-20-06 06:00 AM
Old School 2GNTer
63 posts,
#102224, "RE: Broked Turn Signal stays on all the time"
In response to Reply # 3

So today is 2gnt jokester day. Jesus, does anyone have a write up on the disassembly of the steering column or even better, has anyone changed the switch themselves?

I understand from reading some of the DSMTuner boards (before they went down today) that this is a little more difficult then popping a switch out and putting a new in.

mcgyvrApr-20-06 06:30 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3121 posts,
#102225, "RE: Broked Turn Signal stays on all the time"
In response to Reply # 4

I haven't done it on this car, but its usually like this

#1 unplug battery and go for a beer to discharge the capacitors in the air bag
#2 find the couple screws on the bottom of the steering wheel bezel and take off bezel (plastic trim around the column)
#3 replace switch.

1998 dodge avenger 4 cyl AT
Mods are:
Not enough

TeamDR1665Apr-20-06 08:10 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#102226, "RE: Broked Turn Signal stays on all the time"
In response to Reply # 5

I had this happen to me once. The easiest thing is to replace the control stalk on the column. I tried to use one from a parts car, but you'd have to find another car the same year and trim level as your own and even then, it's hit or miss with the way they're wired up internally.

If the signal is constantly blinking, the flasher relay is fine. It's because something in the control stalk borked and is stuck closing the circuit.

There's four bolts going into the back of the steering wheel to remove the airbag, but be sure to disconnect the battery and let the car sit for ten, fifteen minutes to be sure the SRS system discharges.

Once you get the airbag out, you remove the center nut on the wheel and wiggle the wheel back and forth as you pull on it. It will more than likely come off when you least expect it.

Basically, aside from disabling the SRS system, it's all pretty straight forward and common sense stuff. You'll see. There is really no disassembly of any components, just removal. Then you slide the new control stalks back on (did I forget to mention you'll have to buy the turn signal and wiper controls for a grand total of about $125) and reverse your removal steps.

On the plus side, new turn signal and wiper controls make the car almost feel new again. Not old and borked like it really is.

EclipseMGPApr-20-06 08:26 AM
Old School 2GNTer
63 posts,
#102227, "RE: Broked Turn Signal stays on all the time"
In response to Reply # 6

Thanks for your help DR1665. This is was what I was looking for. I wanted to make sure I wasn't going to take the steering wheel off and have the whole column come apart or something to that effect.

I was also considering going used, but most of the places are that have salvage parts are out of state. I'd probably have a pretty difficult time returning something if it was the wrong part.

While expensive, most times the dealer has the right part for your make/model/year. I'd only save 50 bucks going used, I'll go with the dealer.

RoninEclipse2GAug-27-07 05:24 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#102228, "RE: Broked Turn Signal stays on all the time"
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by DR1665
There's four bolts going into the back of the steering wheel to remove the airbag, but be sure to disconnect the battery and let the car sit for ten, fifteen minutes to be sure the SRS system discharges.

also stepping on the brake pedal to bleed off residual charge in the system helps too. I wouldn't want to see anyone have an airbag explode in their faces (already saw this once when I was working in the stereo shop, broke the tech's nose and left him looking like a racoon for a few weeks)

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

EclipseMGPApr-22-06 07:31 AM
Old School 2GNTer
63 posts,
#102229, "RE: Broked Turn Signal stays on all the time"
In response to Reply # 0

Replying to my own post.

Picked up the turn signal switch module thingy this morning. It’s a box with two female harness connections and the turn signal - light stalk. This may only apply to an RS, I do not have cruise control.

1. Removed neg batt cable, let sit 30 minutes

2. Removed three Phillips screws on bottom of steering column to remove plastic cover.

3. Removed four 10mm bolts from behind the steering wheel, air bag popped off.

4. Removed one harness connection and one purple plug in connection from airbag.

5. Needed breaker bar and WD40; removed center 17mm bolt. It would be helpful to have a deep 17mm socket here. The center steering wheel bolt has A LOT of teeth. I marked the position of the wheel on the bolt with a sharpie to insure I put it back on the right teeth.

6. Removed four screws for clock spring, but did not remove clock spring, I only let it come forward an inch. (when putting this back together, the clock spring has two arrows that need to line up).

7. Removed the two screws holding the switch and unplugged the two harnesses in the switch.

8. Installed new switch and then repeated steps backwards.

In all, took about an hour. I will have an official write up with pictures later this week. Thanks for everyone's help.

Fallen4ng31Aug-27-07 02:40 AM
Donating 2GNT member
370 posts,
#102230, "RE: Broked Turn Signal stays on all the time"
In response to Reply # 9
Aug-27-07 03:21 AM by Fallen4ng31

My signal switch toasted out this morning while I was on the turnpike. Never a good thing. Anyway, The new switch should be here in a few days. Thanks for the write-up, I'll be sure to take pics when I do mine; Just in case any other newbies (like me) have the same problem.

1998 Eclipse RS-T - Totaled 4/23/09 -
1998 Eclipse GST - Stroked 2.3l, HX40 fed: Build in progress
2010 Subaru Outback Limited

I hate hipsters.

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #102220 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic