Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #6988
View in threaded mode

Subject: "PROBLEM ECU? Sensors? long Sorry" 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Previous topic | Next topic
astaindsoul5446Apr-21-09 09:11 AM
Member since Oct 01st 2006
65 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#6988, "PROBLEM ECU? Sensors? long Sorry"

Ok Had lots of problems lately getting very mad. So i had 2 cel on. Two sensors, speed sensor and ect. So i had the sensors replaced the sensors. told the guys doing it that they had to either back feed the system, or run a jumper to the battery cables so that it didnt clear my computer(Had a hell of a time getting IM monitors off) well, to make this short. They didnt do it. Reset my ecu.... now my car when first started and cold runs lit a pile till it warms it. and also I now have to trip my IM monitors, drove it oh i dont know at least 500 miles 1 trip back and forth to college..... i have gotten only one monitor off. my ecu wont register my evap, catalyst(i think this one is off still),o2, o2 heater. What is going on here someone please give me some insight before i drive it off a cliff. is it my ECU on its way out? oh yea, my engine collant fan all of a sudden wont kick on...... NEVER ENDING BATTLE!
By the way this was after freshman auto at ALfred state worked on my car.....

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
TeamDR1665Oct-24-06 06:55 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#6989, "RE: PROBLEM ECU? Sensors? long Sorry"
In response to Reply # 0
Oct-24-06 07:01 AM by DR1665

Originally posted by astaindsoul5446
told the guys doing it that they had to either back feed the system, or run a jumper to the battery cables so that it didnt clear my computer(Had a hell of a time getting IM monitors off) . . . I now have to trip my IM monitors, drove it oh i dont know at least 500 miles 1 trip back and forth to college..... i have gotten only one monitor off.

If the shop disconnected your battery to replace sensors, they were following actual, professional proceedure. Especially when someone tells them there is something so screwed up in the electrical system that you want them to jumper it or not disconnect the battery while they're working on it.

Whatever the hell these "IM monitors" are, I suggest you start by removing them and fixing whatever electrical nightmare you created when installing them.

Sorry.

EDIT:
If this is all just to say that you have all kinds of CELs and the car runs like shit when it's cold, go to Autozone and buy a replacement CLT. It's the temp sensor for the coolant that the ECU reads for determining AFR. When these go, they tend to tell the ECU it's below freezing, in which case the car runs like crap during start up.

There are two sensors under the radiator cap. One is for the gauge, the other for the ECU. Replace the one for the ECU. Hell, replace them both. It's less than $40 and fifteen minutes work to replace them both.

Good luck to you.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

slowmitsuOct-24-06 07:06 AM
Member since May 26th 2005
343 posts,
#6990, "RE: PROBLEM ECU? Sensors? long Sorry"
In response to Reply # 1

Originally posted by DR1665
EDIT: If this is all just to say that you have all kinds of CELs and the car runs like shit when it's cold, go to Autozone and buy a replacement CLT. It's the temp sensor for the coolant that the ECU reads for determining AFR. When these go, they tend to tell the ECU it's below freezing, in which case the car runs like crap during start up. There are two sensors under the radiator cap. One is for the gauge, the other for the ECU. Replace the one for the ECU. Hell, replace them both. It's less than $40 and fifteen minutes work to replace them both. Good luck to you.

And be careful when replacing them. They break easily under too much torque.

_______

BPU'd skittle

astaindsoul5446Oct-24-06 09:44 AM
65 posts,
#6991, "RE: PROBLEM ECU? Sensors? long Sorry"
In response to Reply # 2

ok... i dont have check engine lights anymore! the two sensor that were replaced were bad. and i realize its procedure, but there is no need to when changing a speed sensor. The elictrical is not messed up. and IM Monitors are inspection monitors. The Ecu cycles through them to make sure you car is ready to pass NYS inspect, for emissions testing. You cannot remove them, unless you want to remove you intake manifold, that pretty impossible if you want the motor to run. The O2 sensors, again..... your fill tubes for your gas tank....ummm lets see, your converter.... must i continue....
Im not stupid... ive been around car my whole life!
Im Monitors have to be cycled through certain peramiters, and i had a hell of a time getting them to come up as ready. Thats why i asked them to run a jumper wir
Get me?
the ect sensor and gauge sensor have been replaced. But the ECT sensor is connected in the IM system. that why i wonder if the sensor if somehow messed up.

astaindsoul5446Oct-24-06 02:21 PM
65 posts,
#6992, "RE: PROBLEM ECU? Sensors? long Sorry"
In response to Reply # 3

So i think i figured it out

And it didnt dawn on me yesterday untill i thought about it and look at some specs on dsmtalk.com. It is the ECT sensor and its ready faulty and tell the ecu my car is not warming up to 180 degrees. I had it almost overheating and the highest reading i got was 148 degrees. and the first IM monitor peramiter is to let the car warm up to 180 degrees....... hence the ecu is only reading to 148 there fore not allowing the rest of the parameters to progress because the first one failed the perameter. But any how. Thanks for the advice and criticism. But i think that i gotter licked!!! HOPEFULLY!!!!
Thanks alot
Jarod March

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneOct-24-06 04:46 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#6993, "RE: PROBLEM ECU? Sensors? long Sorry"
In response to Reply # 4

Sounds like it's failing and needs to be replaced, or you have a wiring issue affecting the resistance.

Emissions monitors are not hard to trip. You just need to reach operating temp, some arbitrary vehicle speed and engine speed, for a ceertain amount of time. You can take care of all of them in two 15 minute trips to grab a pack of cigarettes.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

astaindsoul5446Oct-26-06 05:30 PM
65 posts,
#6994, "RE: PROBLEM ECU? Sensors? long Sorry"
In response to Reply # 5

well i just replaced the sensor today. ill see if the old sensor was bad or napa gave me the wrong one. I have a feeling that the one they keep giving me is for a non turbo, i dont believe the operating temp is the same. I have the perameters of the im monitor im gonna hook it up to a computer tomorow and see what is going on. if it indeed is the wrong one i suppose i will have to suck it up and go to the chrysler dealer again. well see. Ill let you know tomorow or sometime. But thanks for your input I do appreciate it. by the way i dont smoke, lol i chew.
im gonna try to run the parameters one the way home home from college tomorow.

P.S. I got my first speeding ticket today with my car. 55 in a 35. but he let me off with a no seatbelt ticket. THANK GOD! no point

astaindsoul5446Oct-29-06 10:52 AM
65 posts,
#6995, "RE: PROBLEM ECU? Sensors? long Sorry"
In response to Reply # 6

I got the sensor that my car calls for in the parts store system. Wired in a new pig tail and hooked up the sensor. my radiator fan stil doesnt kick on. What is the deal?
Anyone?

astaindsoul5446Oct-31-06 12:10 PM
65 posts,
#6996, "RE: PROBLEM ECU? Sensors? long Sorry"
In response to Reply # 7

More info AGAIN. Fan now turns on, it was a bad wire but after using a laser thermometer on the water gulet (dont know if that spelled correctly) it read 179 degrees. I plugged into the computer and it diplayed 95 degrees. Lead me more and more to think that the computer is bad. Anyone have any similar issue?

astaindsoul5446Nov-02-06 06:00 PM
65 posts,
#6997, "RE: PROBLEM ECU? Sensors? long Sorry"
In response to Reply # 8

so i did a resistance test on a brand new sensor and the new one that is in my car. according to the spec in my manual and from factory the sesnro should read 2100 at 70 degrees, both sensors read 10320 ...........................................................
i dont know what the deal is
Insight???????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FluxCapacitorNov-02-06 06:38 PM
Member since Oct 26th 2006
26 posts,
#6998, "RE: PROBLEM ECU? Sensors? long Sorry"
In response to Reply # 9

Sometimes those voltmeters can give bad readings if the batteries inside them aren't fully charged. I've had problems with inaccurate readings in the past because of weak batteries in a volt meter.

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #6988 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Previous topic | Next topic