Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #12288
View in threaded mode

Subject: "SBR-2g20g" 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic
1FastEclipseDec-15-03 04:40 PM
Donating 2GNT member
467 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#12288, "SBR-2g20g"

Alright guys. I understand that people ask so many questions on which turbo to get and I have searched out the wazzoo. The problem is there are just so many different routes that you can take and I'm not sure which will get me to where I want to be in the best fashion. Basically I want to upgrade my turbo and want to do it right the first time. I want to run 11's some day and maybe possibly 10's with a hell of alot of work. At first I looked into the Big T28 as it is a direct replacement of the T25 and with the right work should grant 11 sec slips but would be very hard to push 10's. Then of course it has a big rival over in the mitsubishi line the EVO big16g which could possibly run 10's but still probably more than likely low 11's. Now just recently I found this 20g turbo over at slowboy racing that looks very promising. It says it is a direct bolt on so does that mean I need no instal kit? From what I have heard 20g's can hit upwards of 500hp. Does that apply to this one? My money limit is about 900 bucks and really don't want to go over that. What out there is gonna suit me the best in this price range? Thanks alot guys.

99GSX Auto 14b@17psi 13.345@102mph

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2
Vandy420aDec-15-03 05:06 PM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
2037 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#12289, "RE: SBR-2g20g"
In response to Reply # 0

is $900 your total limit, or just the turbo limit? I'd be really impressed if you found a 20g for 900, but hey, if you can, go for it Keep in mind, you're gonna also need an FMIC (800 or so) plus bigger injectors and a fuel pump, and DON"T FORGET THE SAFC!!!!!!

I heard rumors of reliability issues w/the 20g, but i'm also interested in this turbo...have you checked up on dsmtuners.com yet? they have like 10928734091273907 arguments over turbos...

Good luck!

Vandy

---------------------------------------

Black 98 GST missing her owner and looking for a new one...Inquiries welcome

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

1FastEclipseDec-15-03 07:44 PM
Donating 2GNT member
467 posts,
#12290, "RE: SBR-2g20g"
In response to Reply # 1

$900 for just the turbo. I want to do all the supporting mods too. Must I upgrade the injectors if I am only gonna be running 16-17psi? I am gonna upgrade the fuel pump for sure. I seen a 20g on Slow Boy for $899. http://www.slowboyracing.com/Mitsubishi%20Turbos/SBR-2g20g/2g20g.html What you think of that turbo? Will it still need the install kit?

slodsmDec-15-03 10:49 PM
Donating 2GNT member
293 posts,
#12291, "RE: SBR-2g20g"
In response to Reply # 2

I am not sure about the lower line oil return on that turbo, you may or may not need an install kit. Thing is though, you DO NOT need that turbo yet. You must (not need or nice to have, must) have bigger injectors and a fuel control of some sort. A fuel pump is a must. There is no way you can run it without a FMIC either. Its just too much turbo. For what you are wanting to do and what you have to spend, its not going to happen bro. That 20G is going to cost you around 3G's to install with all the supporting mods required. They are a requirment too. That thing flows some major air and you would need some major tuning to run 18 psi on pump gas with a FMIC and all supporting mods. The Big 28 sounds more like what you need. Don't think I am being a dick dude, its hard to tell people some things in type written word on the net without coming off that way but thats not the message I am trying to convey. All I am saying is if you have to ask about injectors for a 20G, you are not ready for it yet. Do a LOT more research and in the meantime, upgrade your turbo to something livable for your current setup. A small 16 can be used with a SMIC as long as you are not boosting to the moon but anything more is just too much.

Gone but not forgotten.....
1998 Eagle Talon ESI, built and boosted 14.2@98
1992 Eagle Talon TSI AWD12.91@104
1992 Honda Hatch swapped and sprayed14.0@108

slodsmDec-15-03 10:49 PM
Donating 2GNT member
293 posts,
#12292, "RE: SBR-2g20g"
In response to Reply # 2
Dec-15-03 10:50 PM by slodsm

damn double post

Gone but not forgotten.....
1998 Eagle Talon ESI, built and boosted 14.2@98
1992 Eagle Talon TSI AWD12.91@104
1992 Honda Hatch swapped and sprayed14.0@108

1FastEclipseDec-16-03 03:18 AM
Donating 2GNT member
467 posts,
#12293, "RE: SBR-2g20g"
In response to Reply # 4

Alright! See that is what I was looking for! Very informative. I have been around cars for a while now but turbo is something that is fairly new to me, thus why I am coming to you guys. I was planning on using a Supra side mount for my intercooler cause I heard they are really effective and I want to keep the stock appearence. Would that be enough for me? The injectors and fuel tuning were of course gonna be coming in time but right now I will just be running about 16psi. From what you said the 20g won't work without upgraded injectors so I am gonna go past that route(thanks for the save). You said the T28 is what looks good for me. Isn't the T28 Killer the best in that series? Would I come close to eventually reaching 11's on that?(of course with the fuel mods). Thanks for all your help guys.

BigBaldDec-16-03 03:46 AM
Member since Oct 22nd 2002
2715 posts,
#12294, "RE: SBR-2g20g"
In response to Reply # 5

i hope you have an ACT 2600 already when you have that turbo or say goodbye to any real launching. But yeah basically what they said. YOu will absolutely need FMIC, at least 660 injectors (720 would be better) 35 - 40mm External Wastegate (Possible External Dump), 255lph Fuel Pump, and with the pump you will need an AFPR, SAFC-2, you will need at least a 3" exahust system and ported manifold. Personally i would get the DNPerfromance mani with external mount and o2 housing and wastegate. That will get you in the game then it is tuning to high hell from there on out.

1995 GST - Who the hell knows

RemyDec-16-03 04:52 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6156 posts,
#12295, "RE: SBR-2g20g"
In response to Reply # 6

If you dont have the supporting mods you will be wasting your money on a 20g. Although its a bad ass turbo it pretty $$$$ to get the suppoting mods.

fmic ( I think a supra smic would work however )
660's
Ported exhaust mani
Ported o2
Walboro 255 ( A 195 might work as well but dont quote me on that)
Downpipe ,exhaust and bov are all needed as well.

Hello Mr. 12's . How are you today ?

Member # 333

Vandy420aDec-16-03 03:40 PM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
2037 posts,
#12296, "RE: SBR-2g20g"
In response to Reply # 7

I dont' think a Supra SMIC will work with a 20g, period. Its not all that much better than the stocker. Granted, it is better, but not NEARLY as good as a FMIC. It'll work for a Big 28, but why not just go FMIC? I kinda feel like the supra side mount is a temporary solution to a bigger issue, and is alot of money for a at that. You're gonna eventually want the Front mount anyways, why spend 200 on another side mount?

You can also keep boost down on the stock side mount w/a t-28 until you get an FMIC.

Plus, big 28 is apparently a breeze to install, and you DO NEED an install kit for a 20g, just like you would with a 16g...

Vandy

---------------------------------------

Black 98 GST missing her owner and looking for a new one...Inquiries welcome

SaberKhanDec-17-03 08:25 PM
Old School 2GNTer
994 posts,
#12297, "RE: SBR-2g20g"
In response to Reply # 8

Supra SMIC's arent all theyre cracked up to be. I know a guy that has a Big 16G with the Supra SMIC, and he dynoed 270 AWHP. With that kind of power, he shouldve been in the mid/low 12's at around 108-110mph. At the track, he managed a 13.1 with a 99mph trap speed. The traps said it all, heat soak. His 1/8th mile was hellacious, but after that the heatsoak was too much for the SMIC. And remember, thats just on a 16G.

91 awd: 60-1, 880's, E-Prom, etc.
93 awd: JDM 6 bolt, K&N, full exhaust, Wally 255, otherwise stock.

R.I.P. the original "Factory Freak"
15.5's with short ram and catback only
1996 RS 5-speed

PowerEclipsesDec-18-03 01:52 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3215 posts,
#12298, "RE: SBR-2g20g"
In response to Reply # 9

I would check out on precision turbos... www.extremepsi.com They have a kid for 950 and that turbo kicks MAJOR ass...imo

Boca Raton, Florida
95 Eclipse GS- sold
99 Eclipse GSX- 386awhp
98 Eclipse GS- sold
92 Prelude

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #12288 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic