Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top Team 2GNT Community The Pits v3.1 topic #24420
View in threaded mode

Subject: "I really need a torque wrench... suggestions?" 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Previous topic | Next topic
saikouMay-23-07 02:55 PM
Member since Nov 24th 2005
454 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#24420, "I really need a torque wrench... suggestions?"

I have yet to invest in a torque wrench... never really needed one. Always borrowed one if ever needed. However, I'll be swapping out my motor soon and replacing the clutch, so I NEED to get one.

What do ya'll suggest and how much did you end up paying?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
edxmonMay-23-07 03:47 PM
Member since Jul 26th 2005
1006 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#24422, "RE: I really need a torque wrench... suggestions?"
In response to Reply # 0

I suggest that...ummm... You get a torque wrench!

I dont really think it makes alot of difference, as long as its a good brand.

Originally posted by turbo8u
his girl kept looking out and down my car like uh ok we're in this 100 whatever thousand dollar car and that little whatever it is just raped us.... turbo screamed past the window like a vortex of ownage :-P robbing his engine of all the air around, and thats how i like it

Originally posted by ez
I came across a huge sack of walnuts in my grandmas garage - I better make use of them.

I contributed to the wiki! My Page: edxmon

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Hult250RMay-23-07 04:32 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2017 posts,
#24423, "RE: I really need a torque wrench... suggestions?"
In response to Reply # 1

get the clicker type, dont get the kind that has the needle on it.

----------------------------------------

I used to have a 420A...

'92 TSi AWD

11.8 @ 119mph
470awhp 405 ft/lb torque
30psi on E85 w/ Borg Warner S256 Turbo

My DSM Registry: http://www.dsmregistry.com/166

96eclipse2nrMay-23-07 05:02 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3605 posts,
#24424, "RE: I really need a torque wrench... suggestions?"
In response to Reply # 2
May-23-07 05:03 PM by 96eclipse2nr

hey koji, dunno if you remember mine but it is a craftsman. i think i paid around 100 bones for it. its the clicker type and its warranted for life just like all their tools. just dont skimp and get a cheapo. youll kick yourself if/when you snap off a bolt or the thing just busts

-----------------------------------------
2011 Nissan Xterra Pro-4x

2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650R

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-NX 75 shot, AEM CAI, P&P t/b and intake mani-SOLD

1964 Buick Electra 225-all original, all power options, 325hp, 445ft/lbs tq

saikouMay-23-07 05:21 PM
Member since Nov 24th 2005
454 posts,
#24425, "RE: I really need a torque wrench... suggestions?"
In response to Reply # 3

What's up Byron?
Yeah, I faintly remember yours. Was that brand new price? What's the torque range on it?

freelancefoolMay-23-07 05:58 PM
Donating 2GNT member
765 posts,
#24426, "RE: I really need a torque wrench... suggestions?"
In response to Reply # 4

Craftsman torque wrenches only come with a 90 day warranty. They aren't warrantied for life like the rest of their tools anymore. When I buy one I'll probably shell out the cash and buy a Snap-On. I don't like plastic parts inside a torque wrench.

My Blog

djtrickeeMay-23-07 06:40 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5924 posts,
#24427, "RE: I really need a torque wrench... suggestions?"
In response to Reply # 1

Originally posted by edxmon
I suggest that...ummm... You get a torque wrench! I dont really think it makes alot of difference, as long as its a good brand.

Wrong. As Usual. Oh well... Anywho:

I would suggest getting a couple. You want a good lbs/foot 1/4 wrench and a good lbs/inch 1/8" or 1/4 one also. Having 2 makes it easier since torque wrenches aren't at their most accurate at the extremes of their measurements. Make sure they are the clicker types. I haven't had good luck with any of the less expensive electronic ones. And definitely not the needle type as above mentioned. I have never had bad luck with snap-ons or with craftsman either.

.........................................................................................................................

Built. That's All...
.........................................................................................................................
www.monkeybuttpirate.com
2 Fingers of Scotch with a milk back... Stat!

Moderator992gntMay-24-07 02:13 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2245 posts,
#24430, "RE: I really need a torque wrench... suggestions?"
In response to Reply # 6

Good advice, bad sizes. ft/lb wrench should be 1/2" drive, in/lb wrench should be 3/8" drive.

Greg

'19 Genesis G70 3.3t AWD
'88 Chrysler Conquest TSI

eclipse982nrRSTMay-24-07 03:06 AM
Member since Mar 16th 2004
6314 posts,
#24431, "RE: I really need a torque wrench... suggestions?"
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by 992gnt
Good advice, bad sizes. ft/lb wrench should be 1/2" drive, in/lb wrench should be 3/8" drive.

Correct.

Get a Snap On or Matco.

Theirs ARE warrantied for life, any someone above was right, Craftsman torque wrenches are 90 days.

-MIKE-

Stroked 2.2L

turbo8uMay-24-07 03:59 AM
Member since Jun 15th 2003
10552 posts,
#24432, "RE: I really need a torque wrench... suggestions?"
In response to Reply # 8

stanley proto all the fuckin way

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

96 Black ESi
91 Red TSI AWD (RIP)
02 WRX

"turnin wrenches for nine hours in the pouring rain, just to get the beast up and running again"

Aerospace Certified TIG welder for Precision Castparts in Portland, OR.

JoshSpair.com

ModeratoreclipzGSTMay-24-07 04:35 AM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#24433, "RE: I really need a torque wrench... suggestions?"
In response to Reply # 9

I have 2 snap-on needle types. One is 1/2" (ft/lbs) and the other is 3/8" (in/lbs).
Inherited (stole) them from my old man. God knows how how old they are, but they still work just fine.

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

Top Team 2GNT Community The Pits v3.1 topic #24420 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Previous topic | Next topic