Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top Team 2GNT Community The Pits v3.1 topic #41808
View in threaded mode

Subject: "crash test 59 chevy bel air vs. a 09 chevy malibu" 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic
ModeratorVX100Sep-30-09 04:08 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2831 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#41808, "crash test 59 chevy bel air vs. a 09 chevy malibu"

The insurance highway institute crashed a 59 bel air at 40mph into a 09 malibu.

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Insurance/InsureYourCar/crash-test-1959-chevy-vs-2009-chevy.aspx

First, it's a shame to wreck a classic to do the test, but still the test shows the classic car did not do such a good job protecting the passenger. It didn't even have seat belts as no one used them at the time anyway, but even if you disregard seat belts and air bags, you see the frame didn't hold up too well.

We'd like to think how some of those old cars were so solidly built (and some were) but today's cars are designed for impacts and designed to sacrifice themselves to protect the passengers.

Still, a shame to crash a classic...

"Tutto fa brodo."

Todd Scungio
98 RS
15.173 @ 90.70 MPH

And also a 2011 Ralliart

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2
AdministratorCODE4Oct-01-09 07:21 AM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#41812, "RE: crash test 59 chevy bel air vs. a 09 chevy malibu"
In response to Reply # 0

Interesting to watch in slow motion. I agree it is sad to see that Bel Air destroyed.

---

2012 2500HD LML

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

UberingramOct-01-09 09:25 PM
Donating 2GNT member
10001 posts,
#41820, "RE: crash test 59 chevy bel air vs. a 09 chevy malibu"
In response to Reply # 0

Originally posted by VX100
The insurance highway institute crashed a 59 bel air at 40mph into a 09 malibu. http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Insurance/InsureYourCar/crash-test-1959-chevy-vs-2009-chevy.aspx First, it's a shame to wreck a classic to do the test, but still the test shows the classic car did not do such a good job protecting the passenger. It didn't even have seat belts as no one used them at the time anyway, but even if you disregard seat belts and air bags, you see the frame didn't hold up too well. We'd like to think how some of those old cars were so solidly built (and some were) but today's cars are designed for impacts and designed to sacrifice themselves to protect the passengers. Still, a shame to crash a classic...

That tripe was propaganda and staged. Now, I'm not saying that 50 year old cars are super safe but this test was far from fair.

1) They chose a car with known engineering flaw, x-frame.

2) They set up and angled the crash to take advantage of said flaw.

Somebody much more familiar with vintage cars and safety posted this:

This is a stupid PR stunt done by an Insurance Industry group to pat themselves on the back for lobbying the last 50 years. Think a bit about the vehicles involved, and the type of crash being done. It's very misleading and naive to take it at face value.

Yes, they used the x-frame until 64, when they switched to a regular full frame. Ford took shots at them over side impacts, and they switched at the end of the cycle

Again, it's a misleading test. They use a 59 to match the 50 years, but instead of tossing a 59 Imperial against a '09 Sebring, they do this test against probably the weakest design of its era. The front off-set crash is also one the 59 would fare the worst in, vs say head on.

Nobody is claiming late 50's cars were perfectly safe by any stretch of the imagination. Those cars from the 50's did have some ridiculously serious safety problems: seats not securely bolted down, often no dual cylinder brakes, no shoulder belts + poorly designed/secured lap belts (which were optional!), interiors covered in pointy metal/unpadded dashboards, steering columns that didn't collapse and instead shot through your chest like a javelin, non-safety glass, etc etc. Every single one of these things was corrected by law by 1968 at the latest. There's an enormous difference from 59 to 69, which brings me to:

The worst thing about this video, besides it being pointless, is it just means more idiots will rant about how dangerous any era 'old car' is, without a clue what they are talking about, or what safety features came along and when, etc. The same people who seem to think something like a 71 Caddy is an instant death trap in comparison to something like a 92 Cabriolet/Miata with an airbag, or the civic I linked earlier.

1000 frames per second makes for some pretty bad ass shots but take this one with a huge boulder of salt.

ModeratormicyekOct-02-09 05:06 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5070 posts,
#41823, "RE: crash test 59 chevy bel air vs. a 09 chevy malibu"
In response to Reply # 2
Oct-02-09 05:10 PM by micyek

Originally posted by Uberingram
Originally posted by VX100 all that stuff

Doesn't that argument against the test support what the test was all about in the first place? Cars are now safer. I'm just playing devils advocate here. I'm just thrilled that my money went towards that pointless test in the first place. Whether it be tax money or the money I pay to the insurance company that pays the "insurance institute". As if we are all drive 50 year old cars now days. The road are filled with them.

My first car, 1972 cutlass supreme, did have shoulder harnesses. but they weren't retractable and they spent their entire lives folded in their little holder above the door.

I could care less that cars are safer...we need to get rid of the stupid anyway...including me. LOL

getty up

-kent-

'98 Talon...gone, but not forgotten

freelancefoolOct-03-09 05:28 AM
Donating 2GNT member
765 posts,
#41825, "RE: crash test 59 chevy bel air vs. a 09 chevy malibu"
In response to Reply # 3

Not really. They took a car that was poorly designed to withstand a certain type of impact and used it. There are other cars from that model year that would destroy the impala and come out in much better shape.

My Blog

RoninEclipse2GOct-03-09 11:28 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#41828, "RE: crash test 59 chevy bel air vs. a 09 chevy malibu"
In response to Reply # 4
Oct-03-09 11:31 AM by RoninEclipse2G

Originally posted by freelancefool
Not really. They took a car that was poorly designed to withstand a certain type of impact and used it. There are other cars from that model year that would destroy the impala and come out in much better shape.

This.

Like the guy mentioned, if they had used an Imperial or something similar instead of a Belaire the newer car would have been demolished while the older vehicle would have needed some bondo and paint (yes I'm exaggerating, but not by too much)

Personally I think that many of the safety features on newer cars SHOULD be removed. Too many drivers have become lazy and soft in the head when it comes to their driving and awareness because the car will most likely keep them from suffering major injuries in all but the worst of accidents. Try driving something small and unsafe on normal roads, you'll gain an awareness of the road that you never thought possible. It's like being a mouse trying to walk through a room of sleeping cats. You become hyper-aware of your surroundings when death lurks around every turn. More drivers need this awareness.

When I drive the 914 I can tell you how many cars are round me and where they are without even doing a mirror check. Why? Because most of them could kill me just by not looking before they change lanes (which happens all the freaking time)

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

UberingramOct-03-09 11:37 AM
Donating 2GNT member
10001 posts,
#41829, "RE: crash test 59 chevy bel air vs. a 09 chevy malibu"
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by RoninEclipse2G
become hyper-aware of your surroundings

This.

djtrickeeOct-03-09 11:40 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5924 posts,
#41830, "RE: crash test 59 chevy bel air vs. a 09 chevy malibu"
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by Uberingram
This.

That.

.........................................................................................................................

Built. That's All...
.........................................................................................................................
www.monkeybuttpirate.com
2 Fingers of Scotch with a milk back... Stat!

RoninEclipse2GOct-03-09 11:46 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#41831, "RE: crash test 59 chevy bel air vs. a 09 chevy malibu"
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by djtrickee
Originally posted by Uberingram This.
That.

LOL

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

UberingramOct-03-09 01:57 PM
Donating 2GNT member
10001 posts,
#41832, "RE: crash test 59 chevy bel air vs. a 09 chevy malibu"
In response to Reply # 8

Originally posted by RoninEclipse2G
Originally posted by djtrickee
Originally posted by Uberingram This.
That.
LOL

el oh el.

Keith2172Oct-06-09 09:34 AM
Member since Jan 16th 2004
1281 posts,
#41866, "RE: crash test 59 chevy bel air vs. a 09 chevy malibu"
In response to Reply # 9

I appreciate that the safety concerns of an older vehicle are discussed as if they're news to the people that drive them. It's similiar to walking up to a guy smoking a cigarette and saying, "you know those things will kill you!" No shit, I know that, you know that, everybody fricken knows that. I've just made a choice, and thank God we live in a country that allows us to make choices, to do something inspite of the negative aspects to it. Those that drive cars from the 50's-60's are most likely aware of the safety concerns and the benefits of enjoying the drive outweigh the downsides.

I don't agree with those suggesting that added safety features of new cars are inherently dangerous, that just doesn't make sense. It's not the cars dumbing down society, it's our society not taking pride in itself and doing better that is dumbing down society.

Representing the Central Cali chapter of 2GNT!
(I think I'm the only member )

Top Team 2GNT Community The Pits v3.1 topic #41808 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic