Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #27844
View in threaded mode

Subject: "koni reds vs illuminas" 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic
NoObTuNeRAug-30-05 05:43 AM
Member since Sep 14th 2003
123 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#27844, "koni reds vs illuminas"

How do the koni reds compair to the tokico illuminas in terms of adjustability and handling? New sets of both on ebay are priced pretty closely.

Brian

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2
mcgyvrAug-30-05 10:41 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3121 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#27848, "RE: koni reds vs illuminas"
In response to Reply # 0

one is red, one is white

watch out the reds are a return to koni, who knows whats going on with them

1998 dodge avenger 4 cyl AT
Mods are:
Not enough

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonAug-30-05 01:39 PM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#27849, "RE: koni reds vs illuminas"
In response to Reply # 1

Are you sure the reds are adjustable. I have the yellows and was told the reds are fixed rate and yellow are adjustable. I could have been told wrong.

Terry

NoObTuNeRAug-30-05 02:05 PM
Member since Sep 14th 2003
123 posts,
#27850, "RE: koni reds vs illuminas"
In response to Reply # 2
Aug-30-05 02:06 PM by NoObTuNeR

Yes, the reds are adjustable. I just want to know how they compare to the illuminas. No more the konis are red and the illuminas are white Yelows are just not in my budget.

Brian

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonAug-30-05 02:17 PM
8331 posts,
#27851, "RE: koni reds vs illuminas"
In response to Reply # 3

then what is the differnce in the reds or yellows?

Comparing yellows to to illuminas, i prefer the yellows because they will adjust much more stiffer if i choose. Also down the road if you decide you want a custom valve rate koni will revalve then to your choice. you have to pay but they will do whatever you want to them plus a lifetime warrenty. Its only my opinion but Koni is one of the biggest manufacturers and has been around a lot longer than tokico.

Terry

HadesOmegaSep-02-05 08:26 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4529 posts,
#27866, "RE: koni reds vs illuminas"
In response to Reply # 4

I bought some koni reds for the 280Z just wondering how you adjust the damper? Its definatelly not like the AGXs O_o...

http://www.hadesomega.info -car specz and movies 95 Eclipse RS | 76' 280Z | 89' MR2 | 99 Neon | 91 Zephyr
Who sez FF can't drift?

WickedESiSep-04-05 07:34 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3090 posts,
#27876, "RE: koni reds vs illuminas"
In response to Reply # 5

Tokico offers a life time warranty on the illuminas, they are overhead adjustable w/ a small flathead (no getting dirty to change your shock settings), and they kick ass on the road, the reds better be cheap as hell to make this a contest.

Joel Baldridge, ASE Certified Master Technician, Audi Certified Expert Technician

CarbonFiberRSTSep-04-05 08:47 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1368 posts,
#27877, "RE: koni reds vs illuminas"
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by WickedESi
Tokico offers a life time warranty on the illuminas, they are overhead adjustable w/ a small flathead (no getting dirty to change your shock settings), and they kick ass on the road, the reds better be cheap as hell to make this a contest.

its a limited warranty... I had one blow and wasn't able to get it replaced for free. I had to buy another $115 strut.

But other than that, I love mine. They ride really good, handle better and its VERY easy to adjust the settings.

Evo 8 - 12.3@113 circa 2009 (~330whp)
Now with BB Xona Rotor HTZ FP Red and ~450whp
2018 MSM Civic SI Ktuner TSP stage 1 w/ Honda hacked headunit.

WickedESiSep-04-05 09:49 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3090 posts,
#27879, "RE: koni reds vs illuminas"
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by CarbonFiberRSTits a limited warranty... I had one blow and wasn't able to get it replaced for free. I had to buy another $115 strut. But other than that, I love mine. They ride really good, handle better and its VERY easy to adjust the settings.

I'll have to take a look at my warranty card again then. I was misinformed.

Joel Baldridge, ASE Certified Master Technician, Audi Certified Expert Technician

CarbonFiberRSTSep-04-05 11:51 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1368 posts,
#27880, "RE: koni reds vs illuminas"
In response to Reply # 8
Sep-04-05 11:53 PM by CarbonFiberRST

Well maybe I just took the wrong actions. This was over a year ago so I forgot exactly what happened but I called who I originally ordered them from and they told me if I had ever bottomed them out or if the car was lowered or something like that, the waranty doesn't cover it... anyway, I love them with my prokits and I am sure the only reason that one blew was cause of the terrible coilovers I was using at the time. (which bottomed out often)

Evo 8 - 12.3@113 circa 2009 (~330whp)
Now with BB Xona Rotor HTZ FP Red and ~450whp
2018 MSM Civic SI Ktuner TSP stage 1 w/ Honda hacked headunit.

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonSep-05-05 12:09 AM
8331 posts,
#27881, "RE: koni reds vs illuminas"
In response to Reply # 9

If the yellows are not in your budget tell me how you are going to afford the illuminas? This i would like to know because the yellows are the same cost if not 5-10.00 more per strut.

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #27844 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic