Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #33834
View in threaded mode

Subject: "2 new 205/55/16 tires here in SoCal: Front or rear?" Previous topic | Next topic
jazzkeysMay-30-14 07:29 AM
Member since Jan 17th 2008
30 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#33834, "2 new 205/55/16 tires here in SoCal: Front or rear?"

Howdy, y'all. How y'all are?

The left front Goodyear Eagle LS (Like!, but the UTQG is only 360/A/B) has a tread bulge caused by a belt failure and must be replaced. I'm gonna replace 2 of the tires and keep the best of the others. The shop (America's Tire) says that new tires should go on the rear to prevent oversteer on wet pavement. There's a poster in the shop that the service writer points to as his basis of authority. However, I'm not convinced, given that I drive on dry pavement here in SoCal. The weight bias of my Eclipse GS is frontward, and FWD "pulls" the car. The front tires carry a heavier load and wear faster. Seems to me that on dry pavement the newer tires on the front will even out the treadwear rate. I can have the newer tires rotated to the rear in the fall, in the unlikely event that we'll ever see rain again here in SoCal.

I think that Michelin produced this video:

Comments?

Andy in The OC.

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS (built 7/1995)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
jazzkeysMay-31-14 03:05 PM
Member since Jan 17th 2008
30 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#33835, "RE: 2 new 205/55/16 tires here in SoCal: Front or rear?"
In response to Reply # 0

America's Tire's policy is to mount new tires at the rear because of "safety" considerations. No exceptions. So that's where they put my 2 new Goodyear Eagle LSs.

If you want new tires on a FWD vehicle on the front, you'll hafta do it yourself.

HTH.

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS (built 7/1995)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #33834 Previous topic | Next topic