Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 3 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #33783
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Snapped bearing/knuckle bolt" Previous topic | Next topic
MCubed45Feb-10-13 12:26 AM
Member since Sep 17th 2002
2706 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#33783, "Snapped bearing/knuckle bolt"

Is the bolt that attaches the hub/bearing to the rear knuckle a dealer only part or can I use something from a hardware store? One of the bolts snapped when I was putting everything back together and torqueing them down. All the bolts were in pretty good condition (no rust etc) so I was kinda surprised

-marc

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
ModeratorCorbinFeb-17-13 09:44 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2552 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#33785, "RE: Snapped bearing/knuckle bolt"
In response to Reply # 0
Feb-17-13 09:46 AM by Corbin

You would have to get the correct strength and thread pitch. You would probably have to seek it out on the internet rather than a hardware store to really get it right. Hardware stores tend to have a very limited selection of higher strength metric bolts. If you choose incorrectly, you risk a pretty major failure. I would just buy one from the dealer.

Corbin
'95 ESI-T

Now with more power and fewer leaks

Humble servant of the Wiki

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

MCubed45Feb-27-13 09:31 PM
Member since Sep 17th 2002
2706 posts,
#33787, "RE: Snapped bearing/knuckle bolt"
In response to Reply # 1
Feb-27-13 09:31 PM by MCubed45

Originally posted by Corbin
You would have to get the correct strength and thread pitch. You would probably have to seek it out on the internet rather than a hardware store to really get it right. Hardware stores tend to have a very limited selection of higher strength metric bolts. If you choose incorrectly, you risk a pretty major failure. I would just buy one from the dealer.

thanks!

My local hardware store actually has a decent selection of metric bolts. It's a M10 1.25 pitch bolt. I went slightly longer (50mm) since there's a lot of space past the threads. This is just temporary until my replacement comes in from the dealer. It's a class 10.9 bolt also.

-marc

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #33783 Previous topic | Next topic