Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 3 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #33759
View in threaded mode

Subject: "replacing shocks, bushing, r&p.. anything else?" Previous topic | Next topic
MCubed45Jan-11-13 10:48 PM
Member since Sep 17th 2002
2706 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#33759, "replacing shocks, bushing, r&p.. anything else?"
Jan-11-13 10:49 PM by MCubed45

so i think i'm finally gonna get around to redoing my suspension. I'm just shy of 200k on stock everything so it's about time.

I took it in to get an alignment and they gave me a list of things that need replacement before they can do an alignment:

shock - leaking
L/R inner tie rod - excess play
R&P - leaking
rear knuckle upper bushing - missing

sooo I was thinking i'd get some new shocks (prolly kyb's or tokicos), a new r&p (includes inner tie rods), and a prothane bushing kit. The upper rear knuckle bushing are almost completely gone. I'll probably try and do most of the other bushings while I've got everything apart..

Is there anything else I might as well replace at the same time?

I think the prothane kit comes with some of the bushings for the shocks. Is there any other hardware on the shocks that will probably also need to be replaced?

-marc

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
IslandertalonJan-11-13 11:49 PM
Member since Dec 19th 2006
46 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#33760, "RE: replacing shocks, bushing, r&p.. anything else?"
In response to Reply # 0

Chech to see if the rear toe arm bolts still move freely, if you live in an area where rust is common the eccentric bolt and control arm rust together. Then when you/they go to adjust them the bolts either don't move or tear the rubber bushings out of the arm.

It wouldn't hurt to check the strut mounts, more so the rear, for rust.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

MCubed45Jan-29-13 08:47 PM
2706 posts,
#33773, "RE: replacing shocks, bushing, r&p.. anything else?"
In response to Reply # 1

Originally posted by Islandertalon
Chech to see if the rear toe arm bolts still move freely, if you live in an area where rust is common the eccentric bolt and control arm rust together. Then when you/they go to adjust them the bolts either don't move or tear the rubber bushings out of the arm. It wouldn't hurt to check the strut mounts, more so the rear, for rust.

rust isn't really too big an issue here (hawaii).

are the eccentric bolts a dealer only part?

pretty sure the prothane kit replaces that bushing as well. it's been awhile since i've been able to get the rear aligned b/c of the dead upper knuckle bushings so i'm not sure what condition the bolts are in..

-marc

Grothe3297avengerJan-30-13 05:36 PM
Member since Feb 25th 2011
31 posts,
#33774, "RE: replacing shocks, bushing, r&p.. anything else?"
In response to Reply # 2

Good lord, with that many miles I would also look at all your upper and lower control arms and make sure there is no real excessive play in them while you are down there and swapping parts out!

MCubed45Jan-31-13 01:36 PM
2706 posts,
#33775, "RE: replacing shocks, bushing, r&p.. anything else?"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by Grothe3297avenger
Good lord, with that many miles I would also look at all your upper and lower control arms and make sure there is no real excessive play in them while you are down there and swapping parts out!

the prothane kit replaces almost every bushing so that should take care of any bushings that are on their way out (a couple are gone already). i've had the ball joint recall done as well.

so i'd be mostly checking on the condition of the remaining ball joints, right? are any of them replaceable or do they all come with the arms? IIRC in the front there's 1 up top and 2 below, and just 1 in the rear on the toe arm.

-marc

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #33759 Previous topic | Next topic