Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #3078
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Autocrossing Setups?" Previous topic | Next topic
HadesOmegaJul-02-01 07:42 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4529 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3078, "Autocrossing Setups?"

I'd like to know the setups you DSM autoxers are using. I just started autocrossing in the San Francisco Region and man am I doing horrible. Turbo isn't for autox that's for sure, that if you can use it that is.

I'm running a 19mm TSi Sway Bar in the front and a 12mm Sway bar in the rear. Then I have KYB AGXs set to 2 in the front and 8 in the back, to get that oversteer. I have skunk two coilovers lowered to 2.25"s. I also got two cheap aluminum strut tower bars, the RRE lower tie bar, and Matrix tie bar. Is there anything I should tweak here to give me more oversteer? Bigger bar in the rear?

I have two Dunlop W-10s (200 A A) in the front, two nearly bald Firehawks in the back (200 A A), and I just bought some two Dunlops that are 204/40/16s. Will those new Dunlops do good for autox they are 420 Treadwear and A Traction B Temp. I'm gonna rip those up. The last autox I used some bald Firehawks and I got massive under steer. What's a good tire setup from the selection of tires I got? Oh yeah I race at Golden Gate Fields so the parking lot has LOTS of gravel, felt like rally the first couple turns.

What do some of the setup you other Autoxers use?

95 Mitsu Eclipse RS
AFX Pulley | B&M Super Oil Cooler | Performance Muffler | HKS Air Filter | KYB AGX Shox | Skunk2 Coilovers | FU, RU, RL, and RRE FL Tie/Strut Bars | RS to TSi Rear Disc Mod | RS to TSi upgraded F&R Sway Bar | 97' Spyder Eclipse 5 Spoke Wheels | HKS TYPE 1 Turbo Timer | Star Stage 1 T3/T04E BB Turbo Kit | Schroth Autocontrol 3-Point Harness | and 1 HiGhLy SkIlLeD DrIvEr! |

95 Mitsu Eclipse RS
AFX Pulley | B&M Super Oil Cooler | Performance Muffler | HKS Air Filter | KYB AGX Shox | Skunk2 Coilovers | FU, RU, RL, and RRE FL Tie/Strut Bars | RS to TSi Rear Disc Mod | RS to TSi upgraded F&R Sway Bar | 97' Spyder Eclipse 5 Spoke Wheels | HKS TYPE 1 Turbo Timer | Star Stage 1 T3/T04E BB Turbo Kit | Schroth Autocontrol 3-Point Harness | and 1 HiGhLy SkIlLeD DrIvEr! |

http://www.hadesomega.info -car specz and movies 95 Eclipse RS | 76' 280Z | 89' MR2 | 99 Neon | 91 Zephyr
Who sez FF can't drift?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
HadesOmegaJul-05-01 08:20 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4529 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3079, "RE: Autocrossing Setups?"
In response to Reply # 0

NE input guyz?

Don't know how that double sig got there.

http://www.hadesomega.info -car specz and movies 95 Eclipse RS | 76' 280Z | 89' MR2 | 99 Neon | 91 Zephyr
Who sez FF can't drift?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

TeamDeanoDJul-11-01 02:44 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1099 posts,
#3080, "Probably the setup you currently have on"
In response to Reply # 1

will do fine. On a loose track, everyone has trouble hooking up and the more control you have over your drifting wide in the turns, the faster your time will be. Over 400 tread rating will not grip at all. You can use them for thrashing on the course if you like, but they are really not a good autoX tire. I researched tires to death and finally put in my order. In a week I will have the ever popular Potenza RE730 at all four corners(225/50ZR16). I was looking for an all around sticky tire that had stiff sidewalls, good steering response, good treadwear and could handle everyday road conditions with the best of them. For STS and daily driving year round, this is it.....at least for around the $100 price range

Buying new high end stuff is not cheap, remember 9/10 driver 1/10 car......at least that is what they say

DeanoD
1997RS-NeverTurbo

97 RS(PTE SC-61, Built Long Block, Electromotive Tec 3)It's Here!

TeamMichael_97RSJul-12-01 02:17 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
#3081, "RE: Probably the setup you currently have on"
In response to Reply # 2

I just have to give a hell yeah to the Potenza RE-730's, they are great I love them. I can't wait to get a better suspension set up to really take advantage of them.

"Claim Victory in your heart, and the universe will follow."
Michael J. Kulaga e-mail: Michael_97RS@2gntDSM.zzn.com
aol IM: MJKulga Website: http://highlander.dsmpower.com/

Injen CAI w/ K&N Breather Filters, AFX UDP, 55mm TB, GS-T Muffler, FU/RU/RL STBs, Front NRG Susp. Motor Mount Ins., Red Silicone Hose Kit, 8.5mm Magnecor Wires, Bosch Rapidfire Plugs, TSW Blade 17x7.5, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 215/45ZR-17. Front KVR Cross-Drilled Rotors and Carbon Fiber Pads, S-AFC, A/F Meter

And in my Room: Rear disc brake conversion kit, SS Brake Lines, Rear KVR Cross Drilled Rotors and KVR Carbon Fiber Kevlar Pads, SS Clutch Line, Rear Motor Mount Ins., EGT

Waiting for from RRE: Front Lower Tie Bar

Waiting for: Intake Manifold being ported/polished

Firefly:
Mal: You don't know me, son, so let me put this to you plainly: If I ever kill you, you'll be awake. You'll be facing me. And you'll be armed.

Thunderous_TalonJul-12-01 02:34 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1422 posts,
#3082, "RE: Probably the setup you currently have on"
In response to Reply # 3

LAST EDITED ON 12-Jul-01 AT 07:35 AM (PST)

Hey bro, i dont know too much, but if you go to this site http://www.rmdsm.com they can give you GREAT info on sway bars and oversteer as well as under. found the info rather helpful

97' Talon ESi
Accel Wires
AF/X UDP
AF/X Solid front motor mount
Apex-i Exhaust
Clutch Restrictor Mod
Custom CAI w/ Ram Air
Custom Short Shifter
Front Upper Strut Tower Bar
Front Lower Tie Bar
Rear Upper Strut Tower Bar
Rear Lower Tie Bar
Royal Purple 5w-30 Oil

"Our time is here, Our time is now, Team 2gnt."

Sponsored by New Edge Racing
http://www.newedgeracing.com

Original 15 of 2gnt.com

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #3078 Previous topic | Next topic