Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #66535
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Valve Cover Gasket --replacement question (pic)" Previous topic | Next topic
.bs0dJan-14-04 08:31 AM
Member since Jan 14th 2004
597 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#66535, "Valve Cover Gasket --replacement question (pic)"

Hello Everyone,
Im sure this could be in the 'commonly asked questions' area, however I did do a search and didnt come up with much. So I will just ask and hopefully get the specific answers that I am needing.

My valve cover gasket really needs replaced on my 95 Eclipse RS, so I went out and bought a gasket from Auto Zone, and this is it:

I would just like to know if any of the bolts that need removed need to be specifically torqued when replaced. Or, just tighten them down where they are snug?

-Also, what would you recommend as far as the process, and so on, so forth. Any help will be much appreciated. Im no real hardcore mechanic, but i've heard its simple to do it yourself. Thoughts? Opinions? Thanks again

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
bulloxJan-14-04 08:34 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6702 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#66536, "RE: Valve Cover Gasket --replacement question (pic)"
In response to Reply # 0
Jan-14-04 08:35 AM by bullox

all you need to know right here:

http://www.2gnt.com/www/corbin/vc.html

edit: also, deepsockets help quite a bit for this job. You can do it without, but it will be a little more of a pain.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

.bs0dJan-14-04 08:41 AM
597 posts,
#66537, "RE: Valve Cover Gasket --replacement question (pic)"
In response to Reply # 1

awesome, thanks.
by reading over that, he said that he pretty much guessed on the actual torque lbs. so it cant be that important. I dont have a torque wrench, so should i go ahead and replace it you think? Also, when im driving my car it seems as though i can smell some oil, you think that could be because oil is leaking onto a hot motor part?

bulloxJan-14-04 08:50 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6702 posts,
#66538, "RE: Valve Cover Gasket --replacement question (pic)"
In response to Reply # 2

yeah, a torque wrench isn't really necessary here. I have one but don't use it when doing the valve cover. The biggest key is not to overtighten...do it with your fingers on the head of the ratchet so you can feel when it'd getting nice and snug.

And yeah, that oil smell could definitely be oil coming out of the valve cover...do you see leaks?

WickedESiJan-14-04 08:52 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3090 posts,
#66539, "RE: Valve Cover Gasket --replacement question (pic)"
In response to Reply # 2

I never use a torque wrench when reinstalling my valve cover, just don't tighten them too tight!! The bolt pattern is important however, and a general rule of thumb for multipule bolt parts is not to tighten each bolt to the torque your trying to reach, rather tigthen them a little by little so they all are pushing on the part evenly.

Unless your face is right up in it, if you can smell oil, your burning it.

Joel Baldridge, ASE Certified Master Technician, Audi Certified Expert Technician

.bs0dJan-14-04 09:39 AM
597 posts,
#66543, "RE: Valve Cover Gasket --replacement question (pic)"
In response to Reply # 4

yes, their is definite oil leaking on the "4 corners" of the valve cover.. which im guessing that the pervious owner/mechanic did not properly silicon seal it well, or heck maybe its just time.

but yes, when the engine is hot and we're driving down the road, sometimes their is kind of a hint of the smell of the oil. Im sure its leaking from the valve cover and burning on the engine.

WickedESiJan-14-04 11:01 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3090 posts,
#66549, "RE: Valve Cover Gasket --replacement question (pic)"
In response to Reply # 5

Whenever I change that gasket, I just put a thin bead of silicon through the shafts the gaskets go in, and it seals how it's suppose to without making a mess. I do put some loctite on the part of the head the seal presess against above the half moon seal and camshaft position sensor (as noted in the Chilton's manual).

Joel Baldridge, ASE Certified Master Technician, Audi Certified Expert Technician

TeametxJan-14-04 11:30 AM
Donating 2GNT member
9740 posts,
#66556, "RE: Valve Cover Gasket --replacement question (pic)"
In response to Reply # 6

Notice the flat spots on the bolts that hold the VC down. They are flat so that the valve cover sits flat and does not pinch the gasket. Tighten them with your hands (socket wrench), and some blue loctite can't hurt. The round part of the larger gasket is made to sit in the valve cover and stay there while you line up the cover. If it wont stay just put a little motor oil on it, that should make it stick.

Don't go crazy with the silicone! Refer to the 420a overhaul manual, it shows exactly where to apply the silicone. Happy wrenchin.

lickscissorsJan-14-04 12:44 PM
Member since May 07th 2003
1206 posts,
#66560, "RE: Valve Cover Gasket --replacement question (pic)"
In response to Reply # 7

i dont think the 420a valve cover can be overtourqed...(well to an extent)... the bolts only go in so far and then stop...completely different story with the 4g63 valve cover....you can easily overtourqe that and break them
doug

14b custom turbo kit, modified starion front mount, 9.6:1 JE pistons/Eagle rods....running 12psi
screw flanders

WickedESiJan-14-04 02:49 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3090 posts,
#66564, "RE: Valve Cover Gasket --replacement question (pic)"
In response to Reply # 8

I have known people to crack their 420a valve cover, and snap the bolts off.

.bs0dJan-14-04 04:03 PM
597 posts,
#66569, "RE: Valve Cover Gasket --replacement question (pic)--FINNISHED PICS"
In response to Reply # 9
Jan-14-04 04:08 PM by .bs0d

Hey, thanks for all the advice, im done and I took some pictures as I went. Heres 3 pictures of how the leaks looked from the front (cant get camera shots of the back) but the back was a bit worse i think.

and so immediately after I took off the valve cover, i snapped some shots. How does it look condition wise? Again, im no master mechanic, but it looked clean. I run Castrol Syntec 10W 30 (part synthetic) and about 1 time a year or so run dura lube. Also, i'd like to get some new cams, are they hard to install and do they make a difference for my RS?

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #66535 Previous topic | Next topic