Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #59394
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Let's talk pistons." 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | Previous topic | Next topic
mototoolSep-17-03 04:40 AM
Member since Sep 16th 2003
172 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#59394, "Let's talk pistons."

Hey everyone,

Wiseco pistons are totally phat! Check out this picture, it really shows the quality of the piston

Notice how the lower right hand corner of the piston has a big chunk taken out of the valve relief? That's QUALITY if I've ever seen it. Not only that, but look at that picture again. The guy who owns this claims it's a forged piston, but I just find that hard to believe. Doesn't it look cast to you? The finish on it is awful. Take a look at this picture here

notice again, that big chunk is still missing from the piston. I guess someone dropped their silly putty piston on the floor and decided to use it anyway. Also notice right on the lip of that piston that there's another chunk taken out of the piston? eek.

Then, look at the coated piston on the right. It's got ping-inducers all over the surface because the "ceramic" coating on the top is all rough and bubbly. It actually looks like the coating was sanded on, doesn't it? You can see a better picture of the uneven coating here

right next to the light from the flash, you can see the ping-inducers I talked about earlier. Man, too bad I don't have any pictures to show of the hyperpolychromeoly coatings on the sides of the pistons

Speaking of hyperpolychromeoly, the guy who made those pistons over at wiseco has never seen a 420a head in his entire life. The quench pads on that this are atrocious! Do they have *no* clue or what? I mean, the quench pads on a piston should look somewhat like the head that they're mated to. Otherwise, it defeats the purpose of even having quench pads. Check out this head:

The pads on the piston shouldn't have a shoulder all around them like those wiseco's I showed you guys earlier. They should look cloverleafed on the intake side of the piston, and flat across the other side. Either that, or that shouldn't have even attempted quench pads at all.

And lets talk about alloys, shall we? Wiseco pistons are made out of the cheapest crap on the planet. I wouldn't put a Wiseco in my LAWN MOWER let alone a performance oriented engine. I think they stock Wiseco pistons over at Pep Boys. Maybe I'm wrong. Anywho, the aluminum that pistons are made of expands MORE if it's a higher quality piston. And Wiseco's have the least piston to wall clearance I've seen at like .003". So, for those of you who don't know what that is, it's like .0005" more piston to wall clearance than you'd account for using CAST pistons. That's how high quality Wiseco pistons are.

Silly Wiseco!

Mototool - The other white meat!

"He might just be more badass than Dino." -DR1665

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17
Eagle 5Sep-17-03 05:00 AM
Member since Jan 09th 2002
479 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#59395, "RE: Let's talk pistons."
In response to Reply # 0

riiiiiiiiiiight. Thats why many highpowered cars are using Wiseco pistons without problems. Go check out Magnus motorsports. They Wiseco without any problems.

"Shop smart, shop S-Mart!" ~ Ash
Member # 1523

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

mototoolSep-17-03 05:09 AM
172 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#59396, "RE: Let's talk pistons."
In response to Reply # 1

>riiiiiiiiiiight. Thats why many highpowered cars
>are using Wiseco pistons without problems. Go check out Magnus
>motorsports. They Wiseco without any problems.

Hey do some research before posting. Magnus uses Ross Pistons.

mototoolSep-17-03 05:18 AM
172 posts,
#59397, "RE: Let's talk pistons."
In response to Reply # 2

>riiiiiiiiiiight. Thats why many highpowered cars
>are using Wiseco pistons without problems. Go check out
>Magnus motorsports. They Wiseco without any problems.

You know what? I should add more to this.

Have you ever met Marco? Have you ever shaken that man's hand? Have you talked to Marco in person? Has he borrowed your tools? Have you ever even purchased anything from Marco? Did you even know that Marco owns Magnus?

Marco would be insulted by you accusing him of using Wiseco pistons. Even if Marco had a slip of bad judgement and called up Wiseco, he knows his so much about engines that he'd at least order it with the correct top on the piston. Not only that, but he'd make that piston so custom it wouldn't even be classified as a Wiseco anymore. If Marco were here he'd pimp slap so so quickly you'd be cryin'

jamesmanSep-17-03 05:19 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1339 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#59398, "RE: Let's talk pistons."
In response to Reply # 1

hehe
those pistons do not look very "high quality"
the thing that confuses me about the surface finish of that piston is that there are no machine lines on it. usually, forged parts are forged to near final shape then finish machined to tolerance. This is the most effective way to produce a high precision part. JE does it this way. they have a base forging that is machined to finish. That is why their pistons have machine tool marks on them. I believe JE uses 2618 alloy which has an extremely high tensile strength when compared to other alloys.

lates
james

Rest In Peace Heidi Doggy

Eagle 5Sep-17-03 06:26 AM
479 posts,
#59402, "RE: Let's talk pistons."
In response to Reply # 3

my bad, maybe I am thinking of one of the people from Magnus, (MC55) who uses Wiseco pistons. but then maybe im wrong. I may be getting them confused with another place. Either way thats my fault. But, I do know there are people using Wiseco pistons and have pretty good amounts of power without any problems. either way, my bad on the magnus part.

also, id say that the reason you dont see any of the machine lines or marks is because the pistons are ceramic coated, so any of the lines or markings are covered up.

alos, how is that little chip going to affect anything? just curious

Member # 1523

mototoolSep-17-03 06:41 AM
172 posts,
#59403, "RE: Let's talk pistons."
In response to Reply # 5

>But, I do know there are people using Wiseco pistons
>and have pretty good amounts of power without any problems.

what's a good amount of power to you? 250? 300?

>also, id say that the reason you dont see any of the machine
>lines or marks is because the pistons are ceramic coated

In the second picture I put up the piston on the left is not coated, the piston on the right is coated.

>alos, how is that little chip going to affect anything? just
>curious

If you buy a new set of pistons and they came like that you should send them back. Nicks, sharp edges and anything else that will cause a hotspot will also cause detonation. Not only that, but aluminum shouldn't do that. Aluminum is a soft metal, but any piston that's not made out of crappy pot metal won't nick like that unless you really screwed something up.

MmmDeionSep-17-03 06:46 AM
Member since Dec 11th 2002
508 posts,
#59404, "RE: Let's talk pistons."
In response to Reply # 4

Glad to see my pictures are getting good use besides my own...
Awesome!

Deutsche automotives für das Leben!
http://www.dsmtuners.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=3784

safedawgSep-17-03 06:47 AM
Member since May 01st 2002
345 posts,
#59405, "RE: Let's talk pistons."
In response to Reply # 5

What the hell happened to those things, I just got somw wisecos and they look nothing liek that, mine were perfect, no chunks missing like that, that sucks.

Eagle 5Sep-17-03 06:54 AM
479 posts,
#59406, "RE: Let's talk pistons."
In response to Reply # 6

>what's a good amount of power to you? 250? 300?
more like 400+ whp, or 450+ crank hp. 250-300 is nice, but not what I would consider a lot.

>In the second picture I put up the piston on the left is not
>coated, the piston on the right is coated.

again, my bad, i thought about that after i posted this.

the part about the nick i dont know because I dont know much about that partof the engine, like combustion chamber stuff. I work with jet engines, so the combustors I'm used to are totally different. anyway

PS. nice sig, real mature

Member # 1523

420AYESep-17-03 06:58 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2850 posts,
#59407, "RE: Let's talk pistons."
In response to Reply # 7

heh. THEY ARE FREAKIN CERAMIC COATED. i assume cuz that is what someone else said. aren't those bill's pistons tho? where did i see these....

Having Problems? Heres my Three step solution to anything 2gnt related.
Step 1: Put down everything in your hands.
Step 2: Grab a lucky strike, Smoke it.
Step 3: Walk to the fridge, double fist some keystone ice, sit down in the shade, drink one beer, finish cigarette, drink other beer, roll a joint, smoke it, walk back to your problem, and in about 5 minutes the solution will come to you.
If not. Go here: here

If still nothing, your trying to hard. Start over at step 1.

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #59394 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | Previous topic | Next topic