Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #11516
View in threaded mode

Subject: "squeeky timing belt" 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic
optimuspetersonJan-08-02 06:41 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2353 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#11516, "squeeky timing belt"

my timing belt is squeeking and i want it to stop. i can spray wd40 on it and it will stop squeeking for only about 10-15 minutes. what else can i do?

http://home.bendcable.com/optimuspeterson <<<<HRC Stage 2 and Star Instructions
95 Eclipse - SOLD | 93 BMW 318is - SOLD | 2000 S-10 Extreme on 20's - SOLD
93 Toyota/shaved/bagged/body dropped - SOLD | 97 GSX - SOLD
2006 Scion tC

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2
iamnotwhoiamJan-08-02 07:12 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2361 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#11517, "RE: squeeky timing belt"
In response to Reply # 0

are you sure its the timing belt that is squeaking.. try getting some 'belt dressing' and spray that on there.. and if its an accessory belt just tighten it up some.

-Jason

97 Talon ESi-T (forever in progress...)

95 GS (Gone)
16.74@83.18mph
119.8 whp - 113.3 lbs/ft

2GNT #677
My Wiki Page: www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=Iamnotwhoiam
Pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/iamnotwhoiam/Talon/

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

davedJan-08-02 07:14 AM
Old School 2GNTer
665 posts,
#11518, "RE: squeeky timing belt"
In response to Reply # 1

Is it safe to spray that kinda of stuff onto your timing belt. That is the last belt you want slipping. Or are the teeth on the belt deep enough that it won't slip?

1999 Eclipse RS (all show)
1990 Turbo Eclipse (race)

iamnotwhoiamJan-08-02 07:17 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2361 posts,
#11519, "RE: squeeky timing belt"
In response to Reply # 2

i dunno about wd40 but the belt dressing is designed to help the belts stick better, but its very unlikely its the timing belt and if it is.. then that is bad because a pulley may be on its way out and you dont want that happening..

-Jason

95 GS (Gone)
16.74@83.18mph
119.8 whp - 113.3 lbs/ft

2GNT #677

drbalazo7Jan-08-02 07:13 AM
Old School 2GNTer
913 posts,
#11520, "RE: squeeky timing belt"
In response to Reply # 0

r u sure its the timing belt? Cause I dont think timing belts squeak cause they have those teeth that go into the cam gears. Im sure it your other belts (p/s, a/c)..I had the saem prob just a week ago and replaced them cause they were over a year old..

I miss you mom, you are always with me RIP...

pancitoJan-08-02 07:13 AM
Old School 2GNTer
460 posts,
#11521, "RE: squeeky timing belt"
In response to Reply # 0

>my timing belt is squeeking and i want it to stop. i can
>spray wd40 on it and it will stop squeeking for only about
>10-15 minutes. what else can i do?

Are you sure it's the timing belt, if it is is a PIA checking the tensioner pulleys, but that is the way to go, i would be carefull if it's the timing belt, but check and thigten the acc belt to see if that helps..then again if you put wd-40 and is the belt i defently check the pulleys, you don't want the belt to jump a tooth...

fernando_valdez@hotmail.com

pancitoJan-08-02 07:14 AM
Old School 2GNTer
460 posts,
#11522, "New record or something"
In response to Reply # 5

3 reply's in the same minute...woohoo oh yea and the question is are you sure???? Lol

fernando_valdez@hotmail.com

iamnotwhoiamJan-08-02 07:15 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2361 posts,
#11523, "RE: New record or something"
In response to Reply # 6

dang you got to it first.. i was like gezz that doest happen much

-Jason

95 GS (Gone)
16.74@83.18mph
119.8 whp - 113.3 lbs/ft

2GNT #677

evan2Jan-08-02 07:19 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3903 posts,
#11524, "RE: New record or something"
In response to Reply # 7

be careful with the belt dressing though.. my old roomate put some on his 98 or 96 grand prix and it flew right off.. theres certain types of belts that ur not supposed to put it on..

I love dino and 2gnt. ####ers (my word) bliz stole it but i let him borrow it

optimuspetersonJan-08-02 08:51 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2353 posts,
#11525, "RE: New record or something"
In response to Reply # 8

i'm positive its the timing belt. i take the center cover of the cam gear cover and sprayed a little wd40 (actually my mechanic sprayed it) and the squeel went away and then came back in about 15 minutes. its not a loud squeel just really high pitched

http://home.bendcable.com/optimuspeterson <<<<HRC Stage 2 and Star Instructions
95 Eclipse - SOLD | 93 BMW 318is - SOLD | 2000 S-10 Extreme on 20's - SOLD
93 Toyota/shaved/bagged/body dropped - SOLD | 97 GSX - SOLD
2006 Scion tC

DSMLVRJan-08-02 11:32 PM
Old School 2GNTer
58 posts,
#11526, "RE: New record or something"
In response to Reply # 9

DO NOT SPRAY WD-40 on your Timing Belt. That is a lubricant and that ACCELERATES the wear on the belt. Notice how a dirty/greasy engine with leaks at the timing belt area causes the belt to break/shred early. The lubricant on the belt causes it to soften and the teeth can sheer/tear off. It is probably your pully.

GOOD LUCK

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #11516 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic