Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #57137
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Can anybody relate to this part, have any knowledge?" 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Previous topic | Next topic
HiOnPSIAug-13-03 05:10 PM
Member since Mar 28th 2002
2745 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#57137, "Can anybody relate to this part, have any knowledge?"

As some of you know, i'm having problems with that vacuum hose that's connected to the throttle body. Well today after i changed the oil, i started tracing the hose. It led me here, right under the passenger wheel well. The hose hooks to this thing, and another hose leads out and off to never never land. i unhooked it, and tried sucking on the hose that exited it. It gave vacuum. I tried sucking on the hose that went into it. It gave vacuum. I think, i might have found it. It was in rubber, stuffed with cotton and foam for some reason. It has a harness connection. Has anybody had any experience with this?
I unhooked it all, and hooked just the vacuum side up to a short hose and plugged it into the throttle body. The car sat at around 500rpm. I think that might be the problem, if that thing is supposed to provide vacuum and it isn't. I think i have it identified in CAPS as "fuel vapor check valve".
Here are the pics, please give any input.

Jon

1997 Eclipse RS

13.887@104.648 5/30/03

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
TeamXtremeRSAug-13-03 05:54 PM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#57140, "RE: Can anybody relate to this part, have any knowledge?"
In response to Reply # 0

Thats the EVAP solenoid. Basically, this thing opens up at certain times, to recirculate gas vapors from the gas tank, into that vacuum hose that attaches to the TB. Its all emissions crap..

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

HiOnPSIAug-13-03 06:16 PM
2745 posts,
#57143, "RE: Can anybody relate to this part, have any knowledge?"
In response to Reply # 1
Aug-13-03 06:25 PM by HiOnPSI

Well i also tried to bypass it and hook the two hoses directly together but that doesn't seem to work, i get the same thing. Otherwise i would have just gotten rid of it. My ECU is stuck in safe mode until i figure it out. As i'm doing seraching i'm finding a lot of people having evap solenoid problems but they are just CEL's...nobody's ever had one stop working and cause problems?

Jon

1997 Eclipse RS

13.887@104.648 5/30/03

TeamXtremeRSAug-13-03 06:32 PM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
#57146, "RE: Can anybody relate to this part, have any knowledge?"
In response to Reply # 2
Aug-13-03 06:32 PM by XtremeRS

yeah, generally, any issue with the EVAP system will NOT cause any irregualar things to happen with the motor and how it runs. Its just used to keep gas vapor from reaching the atmosphere. Safe mode in the ECU usually happnes when the o2 goes bad..but i think you have fuked with that for a long time now right? What exactly is your car doing, or not doing?

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

HiOnPSIAug-13-03 06:50 PM
2745 posts,
#57151, "RE: Can anybody relate to this part, have any knowledge?"
In response to Reply # 3

this is what happened:
trip to KC. Car is running fine, avg speed 100. EGTs drop and car runs like shit. no clue why. car sputters at idle, won't stay idling without 10-15% idle. tried resetting ecu, no avail. continued to kc, got home. no change.
Changed:
valve cover gasket
spark plug wires
spark plugs
problem cleared up for a while. then intensified.
Changed:
O2 sensor again
A few weeks went by my car being unable to be driven.
Drove 60 miles to a friends house adn checked the following:
(replaced bad FCD with a new missing link!)
Cam Angle Sensor
ECU
MAP sensor
TPS
IAC
his O2 sensor
his entire throttle body.
...on accident, i left the vacuum hose disconnected on my drive home and noticed my car was running fine. I could hear the hissing and realized it, then pulled over and put the vacuum hose on. Car died. Problem solved? No. Car will run in safe mode only with this vacuum line disconnected, car also runs ultra-rich with this line disconnected. Car burps when i let off accelerator. Gas mileage sucks ass with it disconnected. Idle is 1100. One day at work a few weeks later i said, what the hell and connected the line again. Car burped and idle was normal. car ran great. Middle of last week, i start up the car and everything goes back to shit. So here i am with a disconnected vacuum line.
I have not checked a new map sensor since i got the Missing Link installed. But I don't think a bad map sensor would cause a difference with vacuum line.
If i connect the vacuum line, the car dies w/o adequate throttle.

Jon

1997 Eclipse RS

13.887@104.648 5/30/03

HiOnPSIAug-13-03 08:04 PM
2745 posts,
#57157, "RE: Can anybody relate to this part, have any knowledge?"
In response to Reply # 4

i'll go ahead and post this picture that i took a month or two ago when the problems first started.
Could it be the fact that i don't have the intake mani connected to the valve cover? all my stock shit was nasty so i threw it all away and capped that other vacuum line. here is the picture

Jon

1997 Eclipse RS

13.887@104.648 5/30/03

HiOnPSIAug-13-03 09:20 PM
2745 posts,
#57159, "RE: Can anybody relate to this part, have any knowledge?"
In response to Reply # 5

i'm an insomniac...so disgusted. i hate when i can't figure stuff out.

Jon

1997 Eclipse RS

13.887@104.648 5/30/03

CopperEclipse96Aug-14-03 03:05 AM
Member since Jan 14th 2003
2532 posts,
#57162, "RE: Can anybody relate to this part, have any knowledge?"
In response to Reply # 6

why dont you try to connect the hose from the manifold to the valve cover? even if you think it isn't the problem, it can't hutrt to try. you arte going to fell dumb if you try everything else, and nothing works, and that is the last thing you do. connect that shit up, it will take like 2 seconds, and you never know, it might work.

---------------------------------------

-Ian
-1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS (SOLD!)
-2006 Nissan Frontier NISMO
-2003 CBR600RR

HiOnPSIAug-14-03 05:46 AM
2745 posts,
#57167, "RE: Can anybody relate to this part, have any knowledge?"
In response to Reply # 7

I can't really just do it, i mean i can try. last time we hooked those two together as soon as i would boost there would be lots of smoke and oil all over teh place and it just wasn't a good thing. there's a check valve on the factory connector that i dont have anymore.

Jon

1997 Eclipse RS

13.887@104.648 5/30/03

mike_dAug-14-03 06:34 AM
Old School 2GNTer
718 posts,
#57169, "RE: Can anybody relate to this part, have any knowledge?"
In response to Reply # 8

Thats the PCV valve you capped off, from what I understand that is not a good thing. It should only be a couple bucks for a new one. I would replace it if I were you.

95 Talon ESi-T

HiOnPSIAug-14-03 01:17 PM
2745 posts,
#57196, "RE: Can anybody relate to this part, have any knowledge?"
In response to Reply # 9

only one is capped off, the other one on the valve cover leads to a catch can. i think thats no big deal because i drove it like that for quite a long time before any problems.

Jon

1997 Eclipse RS

13.887@104.648 5/30/03

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #57137 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Previous topic | Next topic