Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #113198
View in threaded mode

Subject: "boost, not turbo" 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Previous topic | Next topic
theallpowerfulmeApr-24-03 07:01 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1629 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#113198, "boost, not turbo"
Apr-24-03 07:02 PM by theallpowerfulme

ok, if you don't know what is going on in that pic, don't post here. I just bought an ati procharger with monster-ass intercooler, piping, wastegate, msd timing retard box (retards timing according to boost), and aeromotive fpr w/ mechanical gauge. All of this came off of a 383 stroker. Now I did not buy this for the rs, I'm just toying with this idea. I know I will have to get that "driveshaft" custom machined, custom brackets, and re-locate the battery to the trunk. The procharger is good for 30psi, and yes I know a low-comp. rebuild will be in order. Post your ideas, thoughts, and suggestions. TIA

(thanks to phil for the legendary unknown supercharged 2gnt engine bay pic )

Lane Adams

1998 GST Spyder
1995 GSX
1995 TSI AWD

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Teamner947Apr-24-03 07:30 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3168 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#113199, "RE: boost, not turbo"
In response to Reply # 0

go for it! then make a writeup and become a god of 2gnt. i want to see someone on the board, boosted without a turbo. it must be a very different feel with a supercharger.

2016 WRX STi Limited (current)
2001 A4 1.8tqms (donated)
1991 GVR4 #1933 (sold)
old.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=218 (dismantled)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

TeamMichael_97RSApr-25-03 04:37 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
#113200, "RE: boost, not turbo"
In response to Reply # 0

My first suggestion, don't drop compression.
Second get a lot of good fuel info from the turbo section if you don't know how to set up a fuel system. Or just duplicate one of the higher end fuel set ups: Adj. FPR, upgraded pumps and injectors. You may want to concider an 8 injector set up to keep driveability and idle.
Third the pulley shaft, with such a long run I worry about flex. So I would have whoever is making the shaft, put a u-join in it to take some stress out of the system.
Fourth, bye bye AC, and power steering most likely.

I'd love to see it.

15.9 @ 86.7mph

Injen CAI, 55mm TB, P&P Intake, Crower Cams, Hooker Header, ERT/Catco Cat, GS-T Muffler, AFX UDP, Crane Ign Amp, S-AFC

ClipseRSTApr-25-03 06:46 AM
Donating 2GNT member
325 posts,
#113201, "RE: boost, not turbo"
In response to Reply # 2

might be stupid...but you might want to check if the directional of spin is even correct.

a_miller_76Apr-25-03 07:10 AM
Donating 2GNT member
9515 posts,
#113202, "RE: boost, not turbo"
In response to Reply # 2

>Third the pulley shaft, with such a long run I worry about
>flex. So I would have whoever is making the shaft, put a
>u-join in it to take some stress out of the system.

I think those shafts are run through a bearing tube so that they won't flex or have exposed motion....I could be dead wrong though.

ModeratorCorbinApr-25-03 07:36 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2552 posts,
#113203, "RE: boost, not turbo"
In response to Reply # 4

I think you should consider the size of the supercharger. If it came off of a 383 and can build 30 psi boost, then it probably isn't ideal for a 122 and 10 psi. I'd find the model number and try to find specs for it. Procharger may provide compressor maps or something. If you are really going to attempt a supercharger install, then I think you should start with a properly sized supercharger. With some ingenuitiy, time, and money, there is no reason why you can't build a 420 supercharger system.

Corbin

'95 ESI-T
HRC+FMIC+ETC...

Gimme fuel...Gimme fire...Gimme that which I desire

TeamMuRiXApr-25-03 07:47 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1502 posts,
#113204, "RE: boost, not turbo"
In response to Reply # 5

I was about to say that. I get a funny feeling this supercharger is too large to make any usable power.

05 Mazda RX-8
06 Lotus Elise

HiOnPSIApr-25-03 07:50 AM
Member since Mar 28th 2002
2745 posts,
#113205, "RE: boost, not turbo"
In response to Reply # 6

the axles go snap.

Jon

1997 Eclipse RS

14.21@101mph 10/4/02

theallpowerfulmeApr-25-03 10:27 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1629 posts,
#113206, "RE: boost, not turbo"
In response to Reply # 5

>I think you should consider the size of the supercharger. If
>it came off of a 383 and can build 30 psi boost, then it
>probably isn't ideal for a 122 and 10 psi. I'd find the model
>number and try to find specs for it. Procharger may provide
>compressor maps or something. If you are really going to
>attempt a supercharger install, then I think you should start
>with a properly sized supercharger. With some ingenuitiy,
>time, and money, there is no reason why you can't build a 420
>supercharger system.
>
>
>Corbin

well, I have a p600b (http://www.procharger.com) its the smallest supercharger they make, but mine has been upgraded to handle more boost. When it was on the sbc, it was making I think 26psi, but with proper pulley diameters I should be able to find a happy medium, no? Keep the input coming.

Lane Adams

1998 GST Spyder
1995 GSX
1995 TSI AWD

98Turbo420AApr-27-03 04:52 AM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
80 posts,
#113207, "RE: boost, not turbo"
In response to Reply # 8

That pic in the beginning of the thread, is that your's and is it done already or is it photoshopped? Personally here's my thought on the matter. I'm very partial to turbo's because they are much easier to upgrade, don't take power to make power, and are more efficent. In the long run I think it's going to cost you more in custom work to supercharge your car than to turbo it. However, if you're like me and want to do things that no one else has done, more power to you. I will tell you this though, if you think one has traction problems with a turbo car, wait until you drive a supercharged car!!!

Good luck man!

N/T Wiseman DSMTuners.com
N/T Guru Southeast DSM

theallpowerfulmeApr-27-03 07:23 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1629 posts,
#113208, "RE: boost, not turbo"
In response to Reply # 9

that pic is supposedly real, yet nobody knows whos car it is. Def. not mine. There are two reasons I am asking about this, 1) It hasn't been done by many people b4 (apparently one, and nobody knows who it is), 2) I got a killer, killer deal on all of the stuff, mucho less than I would pay for a turbo with intercooler, piping, etc. But like I said before I didn't necessarily buy all this for the eclipse I just bought it because of the price.

Lane Adams

1998 GST Spyder
1995 GSX
1995 TSI AWD

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #113198 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Previous topic | Next topic