Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #131863
View in threaded mode

Subject: "First build/rebuild this is what i got, any opinions?" 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Previous topic | Next topic
ryan95eclipseOct-09-10 10:53 PM
Member since Oct 03rd 2010
59 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#131863, "First build/rebuild this is what i got, any opinions?"

95 Gs with 94k and the main bearings n crank went bad.

Got her stripped down yesterday.and so far this is my list/idea's.

95 block needs notching.
Cleavite Main and Rod bearings 100?
If possible, turn and polish crank to save $$$
CP Pistons .20 over bore & Eagle H beams & 20g turbo-600
Felpro MLS Head gasket. 40
Ebay gasket kit 60 or the 165 Felpro full kit.
OEM Head bolts 50?
Block-.20 bore,hone, hot tank,deck 225
Head-chemical wash and deck- 80
New crankshaft sprocket

Im sure theirs others Im forgetting.

Now how much hp and boost will OEM Head bolts hold up to if i turbo it with the 20g turbo? enough to run 15psi? Of course Im not gonna just strap the turbo on and crank it to 15psi ill start at 8psi until the engine is fully broken in, or break the engine in first?

But does all this sound like a pretty solid build and will last?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
eclipserstturboOct-10-10 12:39 AM
Member since Nov 19th 2008
281 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#131865, "RE: First build/rebuild this is what i got, any opinions?"
In response to Reply # 0
Oct-10-10 12:41 AM by eclipserstturbo

Get ARPs the first time so you wont waste $50 and end up getting them anyway. Also, invest in some stiffer valve springs to keep the risk of valve float down. Other than that, looks okay to me.

Oh, I noticed that you didn't have any fuel upgrades listed. Don't forget about that. More air isn't going to do you any good without more fuel.

I CONTRIBUTED TO THE WIKI!
ah... turbo. I love the turbo, the boost, the speed, the sound.
and its all better when you do it yourself. cheaper too.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ryan95eclipseOct-10-10 01:14 AM
59 posts,
#131867, "RE: First build/rebuild this is what i got, any opinions?"
In response to Reply # 1
Oct-10-10 01:14 AM by ryan95eclipse

Well how i looked at it is im gonna focus on the bottom end right now and once i get some money saved up have a head ported polished and rebuilt with all new valves, springs..etc

As for fuel if i have enough left over I got a guy where i can get 450cc injectors for 30 bucks. If he still has them, and Im gonna look to invest in a wally 255.

So even if i get this kit:

http://www.eportuning.com/Engine-Gasket-Head-Set/Mitsubishi/Eclipse/95-99-Mitsubishi-Eclipse-420A-Non-Turbo-20-DOHC-Head-Gasket-Set-p5459479-2-2.html

I can just upgrade to a felpro hg and be good?

oh yea, headbolts i thought i would swap out when i swapped the head for a built one. what do ya think?

FasttopassOct-10-10 05:22 AM
Member since Feb 16th 2010
51 posts,
#131868, "RE: First build/rebuild this is what i got, any opinions?"
In response to Reply # 2
Oct-10-10 05:30 AM by Fasttopass

I would go with name brand on ALL gaskets and I only use Felpro, because best case gasket failure means you have an embaressing oil leak. WORST case senario your precious time & money go down the drain.

Plus I'm gonna have to agree with eclipserstturbo on getting ARP headbolts. Cause I think factory bolts are stretch bolts and can't be reused. Im not sure on that though.

But it's still a matter of save money now and waste money later or save money now and save money later. Personally I love money so I do thinks right the first time if possible, so I'm not spending extra money on getting the better parts later.

From V's with 8 cylinders to rotarys that spin, as long as its fast everybody wins.

ModeratortekleinOct-10-10 07:15 AM
Member since Nov 04th 2007
1699 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#131869, "RE: First build/rebuild this is what i got, any opinions?"
In response to Reply # 3
Oct-10-10 07:24 AM by teklein

Go with ARPs the first time. You can reuse them when you swap the head.

Also, do not use a cheap gasket set. I did that the first time and had to redo 4 months later.

Chrysler Parts Direct sells the Mopar upper set for 92.XX, go with that! Upper set comes with MLS HG, valve cover, cam seals, etc.

ryan95eclipseOct-10-10 12:52 PM
59 posts,
#131873, "RE: First build/rebuild this is what i got, any opinions?"
In response to Reply # 4

See i just thought i would be able to make it by with the OEM head bolts for a little while on low boost. maybe 12psi at max until i can afford the head and ARP head bolts. And for gaskets i figured the one i posted in the link since it looks like a fair deal and for a good price. All depends on how much cash i have left over to work with after buying my pistons rods turbo head and block machining bearings and crank/crank turn.

So it would be a waste to buy anything but felpro cause it wont last as long?

FasttopassOct-10-10 02:13 PM
51 posts,
#131874, "RE: First build/rebuild this is what i got, any opinions?"
In response to Reply # 5

You can use any type of NAME brand gaskets as long as it's a good name brand. A waste would be spending $50 on oem head bolts then spending $100 on ARP bolts. Dont waste the extra $50 on stock bolts that can only be used once. ARP is reusuable, stock isn't reusable.

From V's with 8 cylinders to rotarys that spin, as long as its fast everybody wins.

ModeratorbullettdsmOct-10-10 05:18 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#131875, "RE: First build/rebuild this is what i got, any opinions?"
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by Fasttopass
stock isn't reusable.

Stock is reusable.

Captain Caveman

96 RS Turbo 11.414 @ 119.62 MSNS, Crower 2 NA cams, BW366, 10.5 comp, UDP, 60mm TB, W/A intercooler, 3.55 tranny 567.9whp 430tq
97 RS NA 13.188 @ 103.87 MSnS powered 12.5 comp, Crower 3's and 219.4whp with 175tq
98 RS DD 12.5 comp on stock ECU, LTH, Crower 2's, Koni, GC, Hypercoil, DG hats
99 OZ 5sp Stocker 15.856 @ 85.97
99 GS stocker auto 17.7@77mph!

wiki home page:http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=bullettdsm

ModeratortekleinOct-10-10 05:44 PM
Member since Nov 04th 2007
1699 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#131876, "RE: First build/rebuild this is what i got, any opinions?"
In response to Reply # 7
Oct-10-10 05:50 PM by teklein

Originally posted by bullettdsm
Originally posted by Fasttopass stock isn't reusable.
Stock is reusable.

Really?

They are torque to yield bolts, so they are not reusable.

EDIT: I did some research on Neons.org and found that Jeff Ball (2.4 12.5cr) reuses his after checking them for stretch. My mind is blown, but this seems like some people do and some people dont.

FasttopassOct-10-10 07:07 PM
51 posts,
#131877, "RE: First build/rebuild this is what i got, any opinions?"
In response to Reply # 8

Well damn. If there reusable than just use your old bolts after checking them for stretch. Just PLEASE don't waste money on buying stock bolts then replace them with arp's

TurbchargdSpydrOct-10-10 07:31 PM
Member since Jul 25th 2010
159 posts,
#131878, "RE: First build/rebuild this is what i got, any opinions?"
In response to Reply # 9

from what i can tell, you dont know enough about fuel managment, do some research on it, because 450cc injectors and a wally, aren't going to be enough for even 4 psi lol, you need to look into an sfmu or fmu but with either those you cant go more than 12 psi...If fmu, you cant fass 8psi haha...just dont want you to put all this money thinking your going to turbo your car with that list

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #131863 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Previous topic | Next topic