Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 3 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #86623
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Well, looks like I'm all motor." 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Previous topic | Next topic
powelldsMar-02-05 09:27 PM
Member since Jul 06th 2003
916 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#86623, "Well, looks like I'm all motor."

After contemplating going turbo or staying N/A, I recently decided to go the turbo path. After tearing into my car and spending a lot of money, I have grown to be curious of just how much Hp I could get out of my NA Eclipse staying at 2.0l. I have decided to stay all motor and keep it at 2Liters and try to get as much Hp as I can. Sure one day I will go turbo, but I just feel I need to spend more time reading and doing research and of course SAVE MORE MONEY.
I posted a long time ago about going the N/A route and it got to be a pretty long post, but I am for sure going N/A. My last time at the track I pulled a 15.9 in the quarter and the run wasn't very great anyway. I just got the AF/X ECU in when I pulled that time. (also, that was in Boise Idaho where the altitude is a little high up there). Since I pulled the 15.9, I got crower stage 2's, ported and polished head, REV standard sized valves, Crower springs and Retainers, SBI rockers and lashers, and Fidanza Adjustable cam gears. So, I wonder what my time slip would have said after I did a run with that after-15.??. Well, as some of you may know, I am doing a full rebuild with a stage 3 Spec clutch, Howell Long rod bottom end kit, (whenever that gets here) Balance assembly and whatever else I forgot. Here's a list of my current mods

AEM V2 CAI, OBX Header (soon DC 4-2-1), Fagnablow Exhaust (soon Greddy Evo 2), OBX High flow cat, modern performance 60mm throttle body (soon 55mm TB) (also, the I am selling my 60mm if anyone turbo'd is interested) Ported and polished intake mani., AFX ECU, Short Shifter, ES shifter Bushings, ES Motor mounts, Ported and polsihed head w/crower 2's, valve springs and titanium retainers,SBI rockers and lashers, Fidanza asjustable cam gears and Here's looks for you:

Red Eclipse with Evo Carbon hood with red mesh in it, Shiney Black stock rims, Carbon 1' wing, carbon m3 mirrors, and stickers in black lettering with brand names.

Suspension:
AGX gas adjustable struts, Eibach coilovers, Strut tower bars, and Toyo Proxes.

Sorry for this being so long, but I thought I would just share my mods and plans with everyone, I hope to break into the 14's when I get my car finished in a month and a half, I don't think it's that unrealistic. I hope this brings some more light to the all motor fellas and encourages others to try it out. I know turbo will make you go really fast for your buck, but anyone can do that for a little money. How often do you see a N/A Eclipse in the 14's driving around? I decided to stay at 2.0 because that's what the car is stock, and I wanna see just how fast she'll go before turbo. I was also going to ask, I'm thinking of 10.5 compression with that AF/X ECU, I already have to put 93 octane in it at 9.6:1, do you think I could go 11:1?? What do you all think? Thanks for hearin me.
~Jeffo

Hey, have you seen my new tail lights? Yeah, cool huh, get used to looking at them.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
injendsmMar-03-05 07:51 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6844 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#86628, "RE: Well, looks like I'm all motor."
In response to Reply # 0

all im going to say is this, it will not be easy at all to break into the 14s na. it has only been done once to my knowledge and that car no longer exists. ::brace yourself for possible flaming::

www.gregsorrells.com

http://ubanimator.com>

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

grainMar-03-05 08:40 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2551 posts,
#86630, "RE: Well, looks like I'm all motor."
In response to Reply # 1

hope you like being slow.

Ryan_HesMar-03-05 08:55 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3450 posts,
#86632, "RE: Well, looks like I'm all motor."
In response to Reply # 2

If you dropping all the money with the rebuild kit and whatnot, why not skip the headwork and turbocharge? Have you driven a boosted 420a yet...it's a day and night comparison. To each his own though..good luck.

Ryan
IRyanHester@Hotmail.com

'03 Mazda 6s

DSMRoadsterMar-03-05 08:57 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3445 posts,
#86633, "RE: Well, looks like I'm all motor."
In response to Reply # 2

Some people don't realize that the 420a eclipse has been around for 10 years already and that this webpage has been around for about 7 years. Every serious 420a tuner has come and gone through this site and I've seen them all. Being on here for over 6 years, I can honestly say all motor 420a is just as expensive and it'll still be slow. SLOW! My advice for you powerlld, save yourself the agony and keep it as is, cuz it'll still be slow. Tuners like you, end up selling their eclipse for a honda when they realize, that cars with variable valve timing techonology is easier to make faster all motor. These days, if you're not turbo, you're not running with the boys on the streets.

intricatelines.com/ -graphics and vinyls

"Tell them of us and say,
For their tomorrow,
We gave our today."
-- The Kohima Epitaph

WIDECLIPSEMar-03-05 09:22 AM
Member since Apr 14th 2004
1528 posts,
#86634, "RE: Well, looks like I'm all motor."
In response to Reply # 4

Yea if your not turbo and pushing over 15 psi, your not running with people that are actually worth racing. Listen to everybody when they say boost your car. We know what we're talking about. This isn't our first rodeo

-Roman

powelldsMar-03-05 10:17 AM
Member since Jul 06th 2003
916 posts,
#86635, "RE: Well, looks like I'm all motor."
In response to Reply # 5

Well, like I said, I will someday, I was just curious to see what she did all motor ya know?? I didn't skimp on the headwork though, it's ported and polished. Is it that unreasonalble to boost with 10.5:1 compression? Like, if I pushed, say, 5-7lbs?? Wouldn't that be close to about 15 lbs at 8.8:1??? I just wanted to see how fast it could go all motor, I know it's not going to be really "fast", but for a N/A Eclipse it will be fast at 2.0. I havn't ever turbo'd before, but my brother has an Srt-4 and I love it. I just don't have the money for a turbo now, and if I go turbo, I want all the pieces of the pie and to eat it. I will not rist breaking what I have already invested so much of my money in. So, what do y'all think about 10.5:1 boosted? Is it unrealistic for someone who has never had a turbo?? What you do if you were me?? (besides the smart ass remarks) Thanks fellas.
~Jeffo

Hey, have you seen my new tail lights? Yeah, cool huh, get used to looking at them.

DJ420aMar-03-05 11:33 AM
Member since May 19th 2004
1219 posts,
#86640, "RE: Well, looks like I'm all motor."
In response to Reply # 6

Well you never know, lol. I actually had some guy today bug me about my Eclipse cuz Im turbo'd, then he went to tell how he's pushing 320 hp's n/a. I just said "cool" and went on with my business, lol.

Good luck trying though!!

GSGoinFastMar-03-05 12:30 PM
Donating 2GNT member
822 posts,
#86643, "RE: Well, looks like I'm all motor."
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by DJ420a
Well you never know, lol. I actually had some guy today bug me about my Eclipse cuz Im turbo'd, then he went to tell how he's pushing 320 hp's n/a. I just said "cool" and went on with my business, lol. Good luck trying though!!

Come on thats a prime time opportunity to rip him apart and make him wish he never learned to speak!

oh and to the guy who started this, just boost her. honestly you will be so much happier. I've already enjoyed one form of boost for a while, and now im switching to the other one. do you know why? because the nitrous is FUN AS HELL, but the turbo will be nearly the same power, all the time!

-Chris
1999 Eclipse T-GS

2.4 Project is Officially underway

RxR_EclipseMar-03-05 12:40 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1792 posts,
#86644, "RE: Well, looks like I'm all motor."
In response to Reply # 7

Take a look in the advanced tuning section to read about a person who did just what you want to do.

Kevin
The old:

The new:

Initial DSMMar-03-05 07:24 PM
Member since Sep 23rd 2003
2833 posts,
#86652, "RE: Well, looks like I'm all motor."
In response to Reply # 9

Well there are some here who are 10:5:1 (not me) that are going to be turbo soon. I would not try 11:1 on a turbo unless you really know what you are doing and have alot of $ for shit that will break. So unless you rebuild and run a 75 shot or somehting, yeah just save up for turbo kit.

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #86623 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Previous topic | Next topic