Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #73354
View in threaded mode

Subject: "URGENT-- Oil on spark plugs, too lose? or bad gasket?" Previous topic | Next topic
.bs0dApr-22-04 10:00 AM
Member since Jan 14th 2004
597 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#73354, "URGENT-- Oil on spark plugs, too lose? or bad gasket?"

hey guys-
im changing my oil right now, and i decided to check my spark plugs for some odd reason, but I discovered that my first cylinder spark plug has been drenched on both sides with oil! so i checked the others, and they had a bit of oil on the 'tops' of them where the plug wire connects.

What would cause this? I changed my valve cover gasket like 2 months ago or so, and it seemed not to leak any... but i think they all are leaking, the first more than the rest.

Also, i went to take the spark plug out, and it was sort of loose. It didnt seem to be in that tight. None of them really were. When they were put in, I was chaning my oil and my friend was the one who installed them.

And, do i now need new spark plugs? they're bout 6 months old, the rest dont have oil on the ends, but the first one did, i wonder if it fouled it out.

Thanks for any info and help guys. I've also noticed my gas mileage to gradually get a bit worse

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
coppereclipse95Apr-22-04 10:08 AM
Member since Apr 29th 2002
1068 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#73355, "RE: URGENT-- Oil on spark plugs, too lose? or bad gasket?"
In response to Reply # 0

Recheck the O-ring gasket for the spark plugs. I used to get a lot of oil to, but I changed it out and no more oil for me. Did you torque the spark plugs to spec?

1995 Eclipse RS

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

silvereclipse30Apr-22-04 10:19 AM
Member since Jan 11th 2004
1661 posts,
#73356, "RE: URGENT-- Oil on spark plugs, too lose? or bad gasket?"
In response to Reply # 1

maybe its still the value cover gasket.....cuz thats what mine looked liked on the day I bought the car....talk about all time let downs

.bs0dApr-22-04 10:26 AM
Member since Jan 14th 2004
597 posts,
#73358, "RE: URGENT-- Oil on spark plugs, too lose? or bad gasket?"
In response to Reply # 2
Apr-22-04 10:28 AM by .bs0d

is there anyway I can take off the valve cover and still use the same gasket, just re-position the gasket and use perhaps gasket sealer around the o-rings?

and, would over-filling the oil cause it? About a week ago I checked it several times and it looked like it needed about 1/2 quart. but i just now drained the oil, and it seems more than usual, although the car is not smoking

and will I need new spark plugs, or 1 new?...or none?

also, my friend was the one who put these plugs in. i dont think they were as tight as they should have been. He didnt use a torque wrench, but he's a disel mechanic, so i didnt think anything of it

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneApr-22-04 10:52 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#73361, "RE: URGENT-- Oil on spark plugs, too lose? or bad gasket?"
In response to Reply # 3

It is not serious.

You have a leaking valvecover gasket / spark plug tube seal. Oil in those wells will not make the car smoke, it won't foul the plug, it won't cause the sky to fall, nor it is going to hurt anything at all. it's an annoyance. That's all.

Sparkplugs torque to only 20ft/lbs. I fart 20ft/lbs. That's why they were easy to take out. Worry when they're exceptionally HARD to remove....

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

turbo8uApr-22-04 11:05 AM
Member since Jun 15th 2003
10552 posts,
#73362, "RE: URGENT-- Oil on spark plugs, too lose? or bad gasket?"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by DarkOne
It is not serious. You have a leaking valvecover gasket / spark plug tube seal. Oil in those wells will not make the car smoke, it won't foul the plug, it won't cause the sky to fall, nor it is going to hurt anything at all. it's an annoyance. That's all. Sparkplugs torque to only 20ft/lbs. I fart 20ft/lbs. That's why they were easy to take out. Worry when they're exceptionally HARD to remove....

stripped spark plug holes will OWN YOU like you've never been owned

_________
96 talon esi-t
san clemente, ca

as needles of ice
are the ill winds' talons
the coldest of shadows
they seep unto the bone

silent souls leave .308 holes

BlizareApr-22-04 12:57 PM
Donating 2GNT member
7595 posts,
#73365, "RE: URGENT-- Oil on spark plugs, too lose? or bad gasket?"
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by turbo8u
Originally posted by DarkOne It is not serious. You have a leaking valvecover gasket / spark plug tube seal. Oil in those wells will not make the car smoke, it won't foul the plug, it won't cause the sky to fall, nor it is going to hurt anything at all. it's an annoyance. That's all. Sparkplugs torque to only 20ft/lbs. I fart 20ft/lbs. That's why they were easy to take out. Worry when they're exceptionally HARD to remove....
stripped spark plug holes will OWN YOU like you've never been owned _________ 96 talon esi-t san clemente, ca as needles of ice are the ill winds' talons the coldest of shadows they seep unto the bone silent souls leave .308 holes

no shit....I never wanna find tht out the hard way...

I eat emo kids for breakfast

1995 Eagle Talon (SOLD)
72' SuperBeetle
72' Standard Beetle
56' Deluxe Beetle

GSGoinFastApr-23-04 04:32 AM
Donating 2GNT member
822 posts,
#73398, "RE: URGENT-- Oil on spark plugs, too lose? or bad gasket?"
In response to Reply # 6

When my engine started misfiring mad i checked the plugs and they had oil on them. i ended up need both a new spark plug tube seal and a valve cover gasket. i had had mine replaced about 4 months before that so they dont last too long. by the way that wasnt the cause of the misfire, thats just how i found out. had a bad wire.

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #73354 Previous topic | Next topic