Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #49984
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Anyone with the stuttering/misfire problem read this." 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Previous topic | Next topic
420AYEApr-28-03 01:02 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2850 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#49984, "Anyone with the stuttering/misfire problem read this."

This is what i've found out. On my car, the stuttering is related to rpms. You guys already know that. but i've also found that the stuttering eases at 3500-4200 range. this is where we have the most torque. Something else i've found is right when i start my car up, the car idles perfect, no stuttering. when i push on the peddle a little bit, up to around 2500, and leave it there, the idles will fluctuate about 500 rpms without me moving my foot. they will just go up and down until i let off or push it in farther. The hesitation usually occurs when the car is under a heavy load, and instead of giving that growl noise when accelerating, it just bucks, hicups and hesitates. If i go up a steep hill it will always hesitate, unless i can downshift and get it into that max tq rpm range. if its over or below that range it misses. I have extreme power loss when like this. You guys probably know that point in the peddle, the last little bit that when your in 5th gear, trying to pull a hill, the last bit of the peddle makes no visible difference. I can floor it and the rpms will slowly go up. and then i can 3/4 throttle it and they will go up at the same speed. but the only difference is that when i'm WOT there is hesitation, at 3/4 there isn't. So i'm thinking airflow also plays another part. I'm going to check all my battery connections, test my copmression, get new plug wires and see what i find. If anyone else expieriences these same symptoms let me know what you think. This is a mild/serious problem with us 420a 2g's, and am wondering if it has something to do with the ecu. anyone running a howell ecu got these problems?

Having Problems? Heres my Three step solution to anything 2gnt related.
Step 1: Put down everything in your hands.
Step 2: Grab a lucky strike, Smoke it.
Step 3: Walk to the fridge, double fist some keystone ice, sit down in the shade, drink one beer, finish cigarette, drink other beer, roll a joint, smoke it, walk back to your problem, and in about 5 minutes the solution will come to you.
If not. Go here: here

If still nothing, your trying to hard. Start over at step 1.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12
BigBaldApr-29-03 11:04 AM
Member since Oct 22nd 2002
2715 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#50063, "RE: Anyone with the stuttering/misfire problem read this."
In response to Reply # 0
Apr-29-03 11:08 AM by BigBald

YOu just described my problem to a T. I was/am wondering what the hell is going on. This just recently started and i am planning on replacing my coil pack and my first 02 sensor to see if that does the trick. I assume that this is an 02 sensor problem but feel free to correct me if i am wrong. I am also getting bad gas mileage now which is also giving me this suspicion. I am getting this weird engine code (U3FFF) that noone seems to know what it means. Please enlighten me if you can........

1995 GST - Who the hell knows

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

420AYEApr-29-03 11:28 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2850 posts,
#50064, "RE: Anyone with the stuttering/misfire problem read this."
In response to Reply # 1

I just purchased some Accel plug wires off of nopi so i'll hope to have them by next week. I'll tell you if it goes away. thats what i've heard anyway. It went away when i changed plugs. Try checking your plugs for oil and your compression. tell me what you get.

Having Problems? Heres my Three step solution to anything 2gnt related.
Step 1: Put down everything in your hands.
Step 2: Grab a lucky strike, Smoke it.
Step 3: Walk to the fridge, double fist some keystone ice, sit down in the shade, drink one beer, finish cigarette, drink other beer, roll a joint, smoke it, walk back to your problem, and in about 5 minutes the solution will come to you.
If not. Go here: here

If still nothing, your trying to hard. Start over at step 1.

BigBaldApr-29-03 11:44 AM
2715 posts,
#50066, "RE: Anyone with the stuttering/misfire problem read this."
In response to Reply # 2

NEw Plugs, NEw wires, NEw VC Gasket and NEw Spark plug seals/gaskets. There is no oil in my plugs. I am certain ti is either the coil pack or the 02 sensor.

WtngclanApr-29-03 12:01 PM
Donating 2GNT member
938 posts,
#50067, "RE: Anyone with the stuttering/misfire problem read this."
In response to Reply # 3

i swear putting a screw in that egr wire solved this problem .. i'll take a picture of what im taking about later

Another BANNED asshole.

BigBaldApr-29-03 12:13 PM
2715 posts,
#50069, "RE: Anyone with the stuttering/misfire problem read this."
In response to Reply # 4

Well i do have a code p401 for EGR failure. Please share with me what you are talking about. I was going to fix this soon.

TeamDR1665Apr-29-03 12:56 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#50074, "RE: Anyone with the stuttering/misfire problem read this."
In response to Reply # 5

Is this just under load? I was just getting tready to post a question about this. I noticed today that when warm and at idle, she sputters once in a while. I know my clutch is on the way out, so I haven't been too worried about it bucking a little now and then under acceleration, but today I kinda lugged it in 3rd and it sounded like ass! AUGH! Otherwise the car runs great. Maybe even better lately (come to think of it).
I've noticed some soot forming on my rear end too lately. If an O2 dies on you, I think the ECU runs a default fuel curve, richening the mix for safety, and maybe making the car feel quicker?
I've got a new O2 as of about 3 mos ago, but I need to do the fuel filter and maybe plug wires. Just wanted to share some symptoms and maybe help out...
Thanks.

BigBaldApr-29-03 01:57 PM
2715 posts,
#50079, "RE: Anyone with the stuttering/misfire problem read this."
In response to Reply # 6

Well i will piece it out and see. I will start with the coil pack and Fuel Filter and EGR System and go from there. all this needs to be replaced anyway so it is no biggie. If anyone elses finds anything else out, please let me know as i hate this problem.

95_ESi_PersonApr-29-03 06:47 PM
Member since Sep 16th 2002
3260 posts,
#50114, "RE: Anyone with the stuttering/misfire problem read this."
In response to Reply # 7

same exact prob. was gonna replace coil pack, but wheel bearing came first, now no $$$. i'm also experiancing a lot of oil loss, back of HG, you know that spot, right below the TB on the #4 cylender. so i'm guessing i'm also having compression probs.

wish someone can find a definite answer to this, it's pissing me off. this summer, hopefully soon, new coilpack, wires (plugs get replaced every november, so they are pretty new). and later, HG!!! (oh what fun that's gonna be)

gs turboApr-29-03 08:36 PM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
40 posts,
#50129, "RE: Anyone with the stuttering/misfire problem read this."
In response to Reply # 8

Same exact problem with me, except I have the hesitation at the 4000 rpm range. What's weird though is if when I hit this area, I take my foot off of the gas a little, the car will see the boost and go. But if I just floor it I'll sit at 4000 rpm's until I let off the gas. So I'm guessing airflow too because I changed my plugs, wires, and coil pack. The first time I changed all of these the problem went away, but it came back and when I changed them again to see if that was the problem, it didn't go away this time. Oh, and if it's the o2 sensor, wouldn't we get a cel? This does seem to be a huge problem for us. Someone figure it out!!!

DSMRoadsterApr-29-03 11:17 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3445 posts,
#50132, "RE: Anyone with the stuttering/misfire problem read this."
In response to Reply # 9

well my car stutters and misfires when I go WOT and it's between 3-4k rpm. After 4k it just boosts fine. So I would get the infamous CEL 43. I would disconnect the battery and reconnect it. Well for first 5-10 minutes black smoke would just come pouring out of the exhaust and the engine would idle very rough. After 10 minutes engine idles fine and runs fine. So my conclusin was, I flooded the engine with too much gas and me running 94 all the time just help with the rich mixture even more. So make sure you guys are running effecient amount of fuel and not more or less.

intricatelines.com/ -graphics and vinyls

"Tell them of us and say,
For their tomorrow,
We gave our today."
-- The Kohima Epitaph

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #49984 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Previous topic | Next topic