Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #42838
View in threaded mode

Subject: " Underdrive Pullies" Previous topic | Next topic
BlakeW5Jan-26-03 07:16 PM
Member since Jan 26th 2003
60 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#42838, " Underdrive Pullies"

I new to DSM's, so I was just wondering if an underdrive pulley would give me a noticable HP increase. Also, has anyone had alternator problems, problems with belts slipping, or anything else associated with the pullies? I have a mechanic friend who said the pulley would only give about a 1-1.5 HP gain. Also, like my other mods, I plan to purchase off Ebay, any suggested sellers?

97 Eclipse GS
- Ebay CAI
- Ebay Dual Tip Muffler
- Ebay Front and Rear Strut Bars
- Energy Suspension Motor Mounts

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
TeamDeanoDJan-26-03 08:43 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1099 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#42845, "RE: Underdrive Pullies"
In response to Reply # 0

Yes.....No-as long as you keep them tight....lose your friend if he does not research his answers before making a fool of himself.

http://www.howellautomotive.com makes/sells them. All underdrive pulleys are not alike. Other cheap ones may fit, but do not perform the same.

When you remove the stock one and compare it to the new one, you will see why there is plenty of power to be gained.

The AFX (howell) and Unorthodox pulley are the only ones I would use or trust. All other pulleys are a waste of time and can cause your lights to dim at idle. Their minimal performance gain is not worth the money or effort on a daily driven car.

There are a few resellers of the AFX pulley and the price is mostly the same. Just fine one that has it in stock. I eventually switched to Gates belts and have not had ANY problems. The Bando belts that usually come with the pulley do stretch over time. New belts are cheap.

97 RS(PTE SC-61, Built Long Block, Electromotive Tec 3)It's Here!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

BlakeW5Jan-26-03 08:45 PM
Member since Jan 26th 2003
60 posts,
#42848, "RE: Underdrive Pullies"
In response to Reply # 1

Thanks man, very helpful

97 Eclipse GS
- Ebay CAI
- Ebay Dual Tip Muffler
- Ebay Front and Rear Strut Bars
- Energy Suspension Motor Mounts

steve0677Jan-27-03 04:29 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1464 posts,
#42869, "RE: Underdrive Pullies"
In response to Reply # 0

you have a 97....save some money and buy the afx ecu, it's the best bolt on mod by far.

03 rally red evo viii - stock
cardomain page
http://www.cardomain.com/id/steve0677

juggaloJan-27-03 04:46 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2945 posts,
#42871, "RE: Underdrive Pullies"
In response to Reply # 2

check out this one, its cheap as fuck and it works just as good as the AFX. its what i have, i have never had a problem with it.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2401465083&category=10368

dsm/mitsubishi service manuals https://www.mediafire.com/folder/5k14qlaulb9s1/dsm_mitsubishi

service manuals(my whole collection) https://www.mediafire.com/folder/ac51jwwa3g1n1/automotive_manuals

TeamMichael_97RSJan-27-03 06:13 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
#42877, "RE: Underdrive Pullies"
In response to Reply # 3

1 -1.5hp? try like 10 - 12 hp at the wheel. It's one of the few mods that we have the dynopull for. Definately worth the money. As is the AFX ECU.

15.9 @ 86.7mph
97 Eclipse RS

Injen CAI, 55mm TB, P&P Intake, Crower Stage 2 Cams, Hooker Header, GS-T Muffler, AFX UDP, Crane Ign Amp, S-AFC

ChamukoJan-28-03 01:18 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3668 posts,
#42993, "RE: Underdrive Pullies"
In response to Reply # 5

ok just e-mailed that guy from e-bay and he said its a 18% underdrive. And it comes with all the instructions and belt size chart.

Member # 751

FOUNDER of the Central Cali chapter of 2GNT!
(I got kicked out after I refused to go Cow tiping) - Hehehe you know who this is for

MotoFoolJan-28-03 02:32 PM
Member since Sep 08th 2002
2103 posts,
#42996, "RE: Underdrive Pullies"
In response to Reply # 6

most udps for our cars are 30% 18% is pretty small wont do as much....

You can have it cheap, fast or good. Pick any two.

If you want it cheap and fast, it's not going to be good.
If you want it cheap and good, it's not going to be fast.
If you want it good and fast, it's not going to be cheap.

vegasdsmrJan-28-03 04:53 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4713 posts,
#43003, "RE: Underdrive Pullies"
In response to Reply # 7

get the afx... its prooven, and the insert that is "affixed" to your crank wont have the chemical reaction like the ebay ones will... the chemical reaction is created by the two diff. metals.... there is an insert in the afx one, and no bad reactions...

hit up my website for a how to install page...

good luck

and ya, 10-12 whp gain, and it was on a neon whose stock pulley is slightly smaller than ours, hence more gains than 10-12 wh

03 srt-4 13.130@112.47mph (n2o, stock turbo, 10/2003)
now: 20g, portfueler, bpu+++ (track/dyno times tbd...)

i farted on your wiki

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #42838 Previous topic | Next topic