Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #138623
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Engine Harness Removal?" Previous topic | Next topic
Babbz413Aug-17-15 06:34 PM
Member since Mar 18th 2009
260 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#138623, "Engine Harness Removal?"

I need to replace my entire engine harnessn due to a hack job of an MS install. Will I have any luck trying to pull this thing while the engine is still in the car?

95 GS Boosted

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
ezAug-17-15 07:59 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#138624, "RE: Engine Harness Removal?"
In response to Reply # 0

Yes. The only sensors that you will have trouble accessing are those on the back of the block. -crank sensor, alternator, and ping sensor. The oil pressure sensor is also on the back but easy to access from the driver's side. Once you remove the battery, you can reach to unplug the ping sensor. You will need a long extension and a (12mm? I forget) socket to disconnect one of the wires to the alternator. The other plug that goes into the alternator is best removed from the passenger side. To get to the crank sensor, your best bet is to access from the bottom of the car.

2gnt: '99 RS-T, killed by a toyota, pending rebuild...
Daily: Volt
Daily #2: '99 EVG ebike- STOLEN by PEDRO

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

JAug-18-15 01:58 PM
Old School 2GNTer
794 posts,
#138625, "RE: Engine Harness Removal?"
In response to Reply # 1

I'm thinking you'll need to remove the cross member and pull the passenger axle to get to the back well enough for sure...

- J

Babbz413Aug-19-15 05:41 AM
260 posts,
#138626, "RE: Engine Harness Removal?"
In response to Reply # 2

Any idea if I will need to remove my drivers side fender? Diagrams show the harness seems to run behind the fender to the headlight and some other things.

95 GS Boosted

AdministratorCODE4Aug-19-15 07:11 AM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
#138627, "RE: Engine Harness Removal?"
In response to Reply # 3

Depends if you are removing the chassis harness or ecu harness.

---

2012 2500HD LML

Babbz413Sep-20-15 08:28 PM
260 posts,
#138635, "RE: Engine Harness Removal?"
In response to Reply # 4

I am only swapping out the ecu harness. Next to the ecu, mounted right next to it within the metal box the ecu is in, is a black sensor saying "Mitsubishi TR Unit". The wires from it are cut. I believe they are for the ignition. Is that correct?

95 GS Boosted

Babbz413Sep-21-15 12:00 PM
260 posts,
#138636, "RE: Engine Harness Removal?"
In response to Reply # 5

Heres a quick picture I have of the unit i am referring too...

95 GS Boosted

JSep-22-15 12:16 PM
Old School 2GNTer
794 posts,
#138637, "RE: Engine Harness Removal?"
In response to Reply # 6

I have no idea on a 95~96... but, I'd be wondering about relocating the computer to the trunk, lol (looks like a lot of work you've got going there).

- J

Babbz413Sep-22-15 08:20 PM
260 posts,
#138638, "RE: Engine Harness Removal?"
In response to Reply # 7

Yeah I'm not really interested in moving my ecu to the trunk if that's what you're referring too. That hacked mess of wires you see is from the previous owners attempt at installing MS. I have a complete stock harness I am currently working on replacing that mess with. I want to return it to running entirely off the stock ecu until I learn more about the MS.

95 GS Boosted

Babbz413Sep-28-15 07:47 AM
260 posts,
#138639, "RE: Engine Harness Removal?"
In response to Reply # 8

Am I crazy to think my harness I am replacing my old one with does not have a cam sensor on it? There is no plug similar to the cam on, in the general area coming from the harness, for the cam sensor. Would there be any other reason other than that it was possibly cut off from the place i got it from?

95 GS Boosted

Babbz413Oct-05-15 06:45 AM
260 posts,
#138640, "RE: Engine Harness Removal?"
In response to Reply # 9

Nevermind on previous post. I was unaware there was 2 different cam sensor plugs for the different years.

95 GS Boosted

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #138623 Previous topic | Next topic