Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #137335
View in threaded mode

Subject: "ARP head stud install question " Previous topic | Next topic
flamineclipseSep-21-12 07:26 PM
Member since Jun 13th 2003
675 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#137335, "ARP head stud install question "

I just put these studs in my head and used the 70 ft pounds that they recommended in their instructions. I noticed while searching the site that most of you are using 90-100 pounds. Why is that, and should I put more torque on them tomorrow?

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff290/flamineclipse/Oct1627.jpge

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
barza21Sep-22-12 02:07 AM
Member since Oct 09th 2006
313 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#137343, "RE: ARP head stud install question "
In response to Reply # 0

When I rebuit my engine and upgraded to the ARP studs, I did 90ft/lbs. 40,000 miles later and the gasket is still holding fine.

http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=103361&mode=full

Somebody in that post suggested that the additional torque could be due to the higher pressure numbers seen in the combustion chamber in a turbocharged engine, "but the arp torque numbers are really for a NA motor if you turbocharge the motor the pressure in the cylinder is higher and a greater clamping load is needed to prevent head-gasket failure." Another poster mentioned something about thermal expansion.

Those are just a couple of ideas that I found on a quick search. I'm sure there's more information laying around somewhere in this site.

Here's an extra one just in case you need more reassurance that everything should be ok:

http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=set_threaded_mode&forum=8&page=&topic_id=64941&prev_page=show_mesg

Oscar

I wish I had blown it, believe me, I do...

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

flamineclipseSep-22-12 06:47 AM
675 posts,
#137344, "RE: ARP head stud install question "
In response to Reply # 1

Thanks for the help man! I was having to search from my phone and every time I backed out if a topic, I had to start all over.

ModeratorbullettdsmSep-23-12 03:39 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#137345, "RE: ARP head stud install question "
In response to Reply # 2

Honestly, I do mine from just past experience on 4G63's and 420a's. My NA's and turbo's have all gotten over 90. I guess I've always looked at the manufacturers numbers as a suggestion. And I work off those numbers as I see fit.

Because, obviously, I know better than their millions of dollars of R + D

Captain Caveman

96 RS Turbo 11.414 @ 119.62 MSNS, Crower 2 NA cams, BW366, 10.5 comp, UDP, 60mm TB, W/A intercooler, 3.55 tranny 567.9whp 430tq
97 RS NA 13.188 @ 103.87 MSnS powered 12.5 comp, Crower 3's and 219.4whp with 175tq
98 RS DD 12.5 comp on stock ECU, LTH, Crower 2's, Koni, GC, Hypercoil, DG hats
99 OZ 5sp Stocker 15.856 @ 85.97
99 GS stocker auto 17.7@77mph!

wiki home page:http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=bullettdsm

flamineclipseSep-23-12 12:41 PM
675 posts,
#137346, "RE: ARP head stud install question "
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by bullettdsm
Honestly, I do mine from just past experience on 4G63's and 420a's. My NA's and turbo's have all gotten over 90. I guess I've always looked at the manufacturers numbers as a suggestion. And I work off those numbers as I see fit. Because, obviously, I know better than their millions of dollars of R + D

I went ahead and torqued them to 90. You think that's enough?

SilvrEclipsSep-23-12 02:40 PM
Member since Nov 27th 2007
534 posts,
#137347, "RE: ARP head stud install question "
In response to Reply # 4

That should be fine. I torqued mine to the ARP recommended torque and was spraying coolant out the block at high boost. Retorqued the same gasket to 90-100ft.lbs and never had an issue.

98 Eclipse GS Turbo
Built motor - MS2 - Holset hy35 - Zoom Stg 4 Clutch - 57.5mm TB - ARP Headstuds - Turbonetics wastegate - 3" Turbo back - FMIC - Greddy RZ BOV - Walbro 255 - 650cc Injectors - Fidanza Flywheel - Cobra calipers w/ 13" Rotors - Oil Cooler - DevilsOwn meth injection

1981 Chevy Scottsdale
1987 Nissan 300zx - Chump Car
2001 BMW 325i

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #137335 Previous topic | Next topic