Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #137226
View in threaded mode

Subject: "2.4l edz stratus swap" Previous topic | Next topic
Dylanr15Aug-13-12 08:10 PM
Member since Jul 28th 2012
3 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#137226, "2.4l edz stratus swap"

Was told a bottom end out of like. 96 stratus would fit a 420a head.
And you could just bolt n go with no other major upgrades.

Please let me know if this is true or not got getting ready to start my
97 rs build.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneAug-13-12 08:50 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#137227, "RE: 2.4l edz stratus swap"
In response to Reply # 0
Aug-13-12 08:50 PM by DarkOne

There's more to it than that, but yes, the 2.0L 420a head bolts to the 2.4L EDZ block.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Dylanr15Aug-13-12 08:59 PM
3 posts,
#137228, "RE: 2.4l edz stratus swap"
In response to Reply # 1

If you don't mind me picking your brain.
What other altercations would need to be done

bluespunkAug-14-12 08:06 AM
Member since Apr 08th 2008
98 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#137235, "RE: 2.4l edz stratus swap"
In response to Reply # 2

Go to the search button and type in 2.4. You will get tons of information. Also read the discussion posted in the site wiki.

Here is a link to a post with Alain's write up in it. Read through it, but do your own research too.

http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=109293&mode=full

streetlightningAug-14-12 04:42 PM
Member since Mar 19th 2004
778 posts,
#137242, "RE: 2.4l edz stratus swap"
In response to Reply # 3
Aug-14-12 04:45 PM by streetlightning

yea.. theres alot more to it then That. Custom pan, Custom pass side motor mount etc. The ones i know running 2.4 (including myself) are running one form or another of Megasquirt.. its not a bolt and go affair. What really matters are your goals.. What EXACTLY are you trying to do? why do you think 2.4 is the key? IMO 2.4 is really a go big or go home deal, either build it to make good power (since its not going to be cheap) or just dont do it. I love mine, but IMO, i think ive gone pretty far with it, there not much more i can do to it, except get it tuned better lol.

"getting ready to start my build" means, one has planeed most of it our, and I have the parts on hand.. It sounds like you dont have any of this.. Just saying..

you can always trust a dishonest man to be dishonest, honestly, its the honest ones you need to look out for. you never know when they will do something..stupid

Dylanr15Aug-14-12 08:10 PM
3 posts,
#137243, "RE: 2.4l edz stratus swap"
In response to Reply # 4

Thanks for the info. I have been lookin into the swap for awhile
I do have the block and motor mount ms system all sitting here ready to go
Just haven't been 100% sure if that's the route I wants to go or not.
One of the reasons is like you said the $$ aspect of it.

But it would be nice to make big power. So thanks for your input bud.
All info is helpful.

streetlightningAug-15-12 08:51 AM
Member since Mar 19th 2004
778 posts,
#137244, "RE: 2.4l edz stratus swap"
In response to Reply # 5
Aug-15-12 08:59 AM by streetlightning

If that were try, then im not sure why you would ask if the block would fit, it would have been obvious, evenm if a minimal amount of HW had been done on the swap.. Just saying.

What pass mount did you get? curious as they are not an "off the shelf" item they need to be made. I had an extra i sold, but I sold it to some one on a differnt forum, s o im a little curious. IMO, your chaning so many things at once.. its going to be hard to troubleshoot any issues. I say this because, i did the same thing, swap and added MS.. and when the car wouldnt start, I had about a million variables.. was it the engine? was it the MS? was it the tune? ETc.. What are you using for piston rod combo? These also have the same oil issue the 420a does for the pan, so theres another 4004 you should sink into the build, but since its a modded pan, you need to have IJ build you one using your pan.

Big power comes at a big price, no matter what motor..
MS is a great tool, but its a double edged sword, theres alot you can do with it, and theres alot you can screw up with it too. Lots of tricks, like where to mount the Iat ETC. Same with the 2.4, theres a few differnt tensioners for the 2.4, OEM, modded, Billet etc, all depend on your goal.IE if you do arp mains ( you should) you need to mod you custom Scraper to fit correctly. IDK, it just sonds to me like you have no goal, thats going to waste your time and money. but its your time and money.. Just trying tp put you on the right path...

you can always trust a dishonest man to be dishonest, honestly, its the honest ones you need to look out for. you never know when they will do something..stupid

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneAug-15-12 08:58 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#137245, "RE: 2.4l edz stratus swap"
In response to Reply # 6

Factory ECU can control a 2.4L with some minor electrical mods, if you're staying NA.

code4 ran his without a modified oil pan with some creative exhaust routing.

The show stopper for most people is the lack of AC on a 2.4L swapped 2GNT. There is nowhere to mount the compressor, the 2.4L brackets won't work with our compressor, and our bracket doesn't bolt on.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

alain95i4Aug-15-12 04:17 PM
Member since Jan 28th 2002
794 posts,
#137246, "RE: 2.4l edz stratus swap"
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by DarkOne
Factory ECU can control a 2.4L with some minor electrical mods, if you're staying NA. code4 ran his without a modified oil pan with some creative exhaust routing. The show stopper for most people is the lack of AC on a 2.4L swapped 2GNT. There is nowhere to mount the compressor, the 2.4L brackets won't work with our compressor, and our bracket doesn't bolt on.

SRT-4 ac compressor will work with the srt-4 ac bracket/tensionner
combo but you will new custom ac hoses

power steering is also an issue of a lesser extend

Alain

one of the 2.4 true pionners

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #137226 Previous topic | Next topic