Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #109766
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Need Timing Advice" Previous topic | Next topic
180sx-xAug-20-08 02:31 AM
Member since Aug 19th 2008
4 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#109766, "Need Timing Advice"

Hey to all. First post, but I been reading for a while. I have an issue with my timing. Now, I searched and read like 50 posts, put the pieces from each together, and got as far as I did. Now the problem.

I have a 1995 Eagle Talon ESi with 420A and 5M. It has 149xxx miles on it. I just replaced the water pump, but I did not replace the timing belt (its not really my car, I was just doing some work on it). Well, I put it back together the first time, and it ran like shit. So I searched, found that being off even 1 tooth will screw everything up. Well, I took it apart again, and saw that the cams had skipped, not good, but no harm done. Well, I did it again, and now the car runs way better, but its still kind of lumpy. its idling at about 850-900, and drives just fine. The Cams are lined up perfectly, but the crank is the issue. The arrow on the gear is not lined up with the arrow on the block. Its about 1 tooth length clockwise from it. Is this real bad? I mean, I tried over and over and over and over again, but this is the best I could get it. Could it be because of the timing belt being so old that its actually kind of stretched? Any advice on how you set your timing belt to line it up perfectly would be great! Thanks again, and I'll keep searching.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
1996BlackGSntAug-20-08 02:56 AM
Member since Apr 28th 2008
35 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#109768, "RE: Need Timing Advice"
In response to Reply # 0

Originally posted by 180sx-x
The arrow on the gear is not lined up with the arrow on the block. Its about 1 tooth length clockwise from it.

Its supposed to have the arrow on the block and the arrow on the crank is supposed to be a HALF a TOOTH away. read the manual is the best advice i can give you thats how i found to set my friends.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

daes_vengeAug-20-08 03:36 AM
Member since Jun 25th 2006
252 posts,
#109769, "RE: Need Timing Advice"
In response to Reply # 1

Why would the person not spend the extra on a new belt?

180sx-xAug-20-08 04:07 AM
4 posts,
#109770, "RE: Need Timing Advice"
In response to Reply # 2

OK, so it is supposed to be a half tooth away? Is that clockwise or counter clockwise?

DytDSMAug-20-08 05:39 AM
Member since Dec 12th 2007
51 posts,
#109773, "RE: Need Timing Advice"
In response to Reply # 3
Aug-20-08 05:42 AM by DytDSM

http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=PROPER%20TIMING%20MARK%20ALIGNMENT

And heres a write up by Corbin. There is a section on timing near the bottom. http://www.2gnt.com/www/corbin/rebuild.html

kballard81Aug-20-08 04:15 PM
Member since Jul 07th 2008
104 posts,
#109781, "RE: Need Timing Advice"
In response to Reply # 4

All the arrows should line up together.....u have to put the crankshaft arrow half a tooth off and then when you tighten the tensioner, it will line up exactly. It took 2 of us about 10 times to line it up with the engine in the car and almost the same to do it when the engine was out. Its one of those things that you have to be patient no matter what because youll want to throw the engine through the wall after 20 min of missing it by 1/2 a tooth.

180sx-xAug-21-08 01:45 AM
4 posts,
#109786, "RE: Need Timing Advice"
In response to Reply # 5

Hey, thanks for all your help guys. I finally got it, and she purrs like the little Neon motor she is (haha). Next step...free up some HP with a header and an intake...

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #109766 Previous topic | Next topic