Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 4 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #7885
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Need help fast. TOB, Input Shaft Bearing, Clutch Problem???" Previous topic | Next topic
2G_DadMay-30-09 10:27 AM
Member since Aug 13th 2007
108 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#7885, "Need help fast. TOB, Input Shaft Bearing, Clutch Problem???"

Long background story, will try to shorten. Son bought 97 RS a couple years ago with blown clutch. Replaced with modular from Autozone. Within a year, input shaft bearing failed. Found a used trans cheap and put that in. Now about a year later, bad noises again and could not shift at all. The TOB had broken free from the clutch release arm. Pulled the replacement trans, also found bad input shaft bearing (the collar around it had broken off). Took the clutch release arm from another trans, bought new TOB and installed. All was well for a coupe of weeks and now horrible noises again when clutch pedal is depressed, quiet with clutch out in neutral. Any guesses what is going on? Could be a defective TOB, another input shaft bearing failure, or might there be something else going on, like a bent input shaft, or bad clutch? Would really like to have some confidence in the next job, if possible, but funds are tight. What else should we check when we pull the trans this time? Please answer fast, as will probably pull trans today and need car for Monday if possible. Thanks!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
420agreenvilleSCMay-30-09 11:22 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#7886, "RE: Need help fast. TOB, Input Shaft Bearing, Clutch Problem???"
In response to Reply # 0

you really won't be able to tell until you pull it off the car and visually inspect it. If all seems well, it is probably internal and in that case, you won't be able to tell until it's pulled apart.

If it's pulled apart, why not just rebuild it w/ parts that it needs and have a good working trans that will last? That's what i'd do.

http://www.2gnt.com/quote_db.php?id=278

Outside of Corona: "That sucks, peace out..." (jamie walks away)... "Sweeet, what we doin?" -Zac
Tim's garage (prior to motor install): "Im gonna smoke real quick, that way if you fuck up I am already nicotined up" -Tim

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

2G_DadMay-30-09 11:37 AM
108 posts,
#7887, "RE: Need help fast. TOB, Input Shaft Bearing, Clutch Problem???"
In response to Reply # 1

Thanks for the fast reply. Just got some new info. Son says clutch has been grabbing/chattering for "a while". So I'm betting it's the clutch this time and nothing more ominous. I know that clutch saw a lot of hard use/abuse early on (imagine that). The fact that it's quiet at idle in neutral would seem to indicate it's probably not the TOB or input bearing, or have I got that wrong? Anyhow, will know more once we get things apart (as you said). Hope it is just the clucth since it has a LLT warranty. : )

420agreenvilleSCMay-30-09 01:16 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
#7888, "RE: Need help fast. TOB, Input Shaft Bearing, Clutch Problem???"
In response to Reply # 2

good to hear. stay in touch.

http://www.2gnt.com/quote_db.php?id=278

Outside of Corona: "That sucks, peace out..." (jamie walks away)... "Sweeet, what we doin?" -Zac
Tim's garage (prior to motor install): "Im gonna smoke real quick, that way if you fuck up I am already nicotined up" -Tim

2G_DadMay-30-09 05:31 PM
108 posts,
#7889, "Latest"
In response to Reply # 3

Went to help son with trans problem. He wanted to try a few things before pulling the trans (no argument from me there). We ended up rebuilding the master and slave cylinder. Took a test drive and all seemed good. We bled the clutch a bit more and decided to call it a day. I got halfway home and got a call from son that the noise was back. I went back and drove the car myself. The clutch feels normal, but when the car starts to move there is loud metallic rattle from the front of the car. Seems to diminish or disappear once you get moving, but doesn't seem speed related. Now I'm thinking something to do with motor/trans mounts? It almost sounds like a heat shield type of rattle, but there isn't one on this car. Possible axle issue? Just had car aligned a few days ago and would think they would have noticed something bad enough to make this much noise. Any other ideas?

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #7885 Previous topic | Next topic