Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #6077
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Can't shift" 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic
BlmetFeb-06-07 07:04 AM
Member since Jan 26th 2002
328 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#6077, "Can't shift"

I started my car up today and started driving to school. After going like 2 blocks I started having a really hard time getting into gear. This has never happened before. I usually have push alittle harder to get into 1st and 2nd gear when I first start the car up in the morning during winter.

By the time I was on the highway, my clutch petal had no pressure behind it and I can't put the car into gear. What could cause the clutch from working so fast? I ended up getting to school by pumping the clutch pedal like 5 times everytime before shifting. What could be the problem? Nothing unusual this morning besides it be 9 degrees outside. The clutch fluid is still at the full mark.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2
nyBoosted420aFeb-06-07 07:56 AM
Member since Feb 18th 2006
147 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#6078, "RE: Can't shift"
In response to Reply # 0

chech your clutch slave cilindar

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

WIDECLIPSEFeb-06-07 09:24 AM
Member since Apr 14th 2004
1528 posts,
#6080, "RE: Can't shift"
In response to Reply # 1

Check both the slave and master cylinder for any leakage. If it's the master cylinder, generally you will see fluid dribbling down the firewall and onto your carpet. If it's the slave cylinder, you should see fluid leaking around the boot.

-Roman

shazow1969Feb-06-07 10:48 AM
Member since Sep 22nd 2005
466 posts,
#6081, "RE: Can't shift"
In response to Reply # 2

You said the clutch fluid resevior is still full. Best case scenario is that the master cylinder has blown the piston seal (most likely). The worst case scenario is that your pressure plate diaphram "fingers" might be bent (I had this happen to me I could not figure it out either til I replaced my master cylinder and it changed nothing).

-Kevin

01 Blazer LS 4.3/5spd dropped and clean DD
88 Camaro RS 361 CID with a 6spd and a bar 10 second street car on motor.

muscle_mitsuFeb-08-07 06:05 PM
Member since Oct 17th 2006
71 posts,
#6110, "RE: Can't shift"
In response to Reply # 3

could also be air in the line-try bleeding it too.

1995 eclipse, dropped--1981 camaro z28, 360hp

TrkyFeb-09-07 01:49 AM
Member since Feb 09th 2007
3 posts,
#6111, "RE: Can't shift"
In response to Reply # 4

I just joined this forum to ask this question and the same thing is happening to me. I have to pump a whole lot before it can go into gear. I've been pumping to get it to first and reverse, but just shifting without the clutch through the rest of the gears, but hopefully I Can get this fixed.

I live in Ohio and we have snow on the ground right now but my car is kept in the garage. The garage is not heated, but it is still better than being in the cold.

I checked what I Think is the clutch fluid. It is a tiny bottle beside the brake fluid tank and the lid just says japan, and a some numbers. It is full.

Where is the master cylinder located at? And how do I check it?

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneFeb-09-07 12:24 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#6112, "RE: Can't shift"
In response to Reply # 5

It's attached to and behind the clutch pedal. You will likely see a damp area on your carpet below it if it has failed.

Otherwise, check the slave cylinder. It's on the bottom front of the transmission, near the front motor mount. Pull back the boot on it, and if there is fluid inside the boot, the slave cylinder is leaking and should be replaced.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

TrkyFeb-10-07 02:54 AM
3 posts,
#6113, "RE: Can't shift"
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by DarkOne
It's attached to and behind the clutch pedal. You will likely see a damp area on your carpet below it if it has failed. Otherwise, check the slave cylinder. It's on the bottom front of the transmission, near the front motor mount. Pull back the boot on it, and if there is fluid inside the boot, the slave cylinder is leaking and should be replaced.

Is there a picture of it somewhere so I know what to look for?

Also, can someone tell me how to bleed the clutch line and where the bleeder valves are? My dad seems to think it just has air in the lines so we are going to bleed it sunday morning if I Can get the info on it. Double and triple clutching is starting to make me not want to drive it.

WIDECLIPSEFeb-10-07 03:45 AM
Member since Apr 14th 2004
1528 posts,
#6114, "RE: Can't shift"
In response to Reply # 7

The bleeder is on the slave cylinder.

-Roman

TeamDR1665Feb-10-07 04:41 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#6115, "RE: Can't shift"
In response to Reply # 8

Originally posted by WIDECLIPSE
The bleeder is on the slave cylinder.

The slave is located on the front of the transmission bell housing. It's about the size of a fatty marker and has a single hard line coming off of one end. The other end will have a rubber boot and be pointing to a black nub that comes out of the transmission (the end of the clutch fork). The bleeder is a small, shiny metal nubbin that sticks out the side. If you're lucky, the rubber cap is still on it.

Hope this helps. Bleeding it is a good idea, but grab a flashlight and look up under the dash behind the pedals. A new master cylinder is less than $40 from Napa, if you need one. A new slave is less than $20. And they have rebuild kits for even less than that for both. Be sure all you need is a bleed before wasting time with this.

TrkyFeb-10-07 05:52 AM
3 posts,
#6116, "RE: Can't shift"
In response to Reply # 9

Originally posted by DR1665
Originally posted by WIDECLIPSE The bleeder is on the slave cylinder.
The slave is located on the front of the transmission bell housing. It's about the size of a fatty marker and has a single hard line coming off of one end. The other end will have a rubber boot and be pointing to a black nub that comes out of the transmission (the end of the clutch fork). The bleeder is a small, shiny metal nubbin that sticks out the side. If you're lucky, the rubber cap is still on it. Hope this helps. Bleeding it is a good idea, but grab a flashlight and look up under the dash behind the pedals. A new master cylinder is less than $40 from Napa, if you need one. A new slave is less than $20. And they have rebuild kits for even less than that for both. Be sure all you need is a bleed before wasting time with this.

Thank you for your help. I looked last night and did not see any fluid. I could not locate the other cylinder so I have not checked that yet. I will check this before I go to work tonight.

What is the cylinder that is to the right of the brake fluid tank? It is really tiny and I thought this was the master cylinder.

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #6077 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic