Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #8418
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Swapping a Chrysler tranny for the 5 speed manual, i have ?'s.." Previous topic | Next topic
astaindsoul5446Mar-12-10 08:56 PM
Member since Oct 01st 2006
65 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8418, "Swapping a Chrysler tranny for the 5 speed manual, i have ?'s.."

I have a 98 420A GS model. I am planning on swapping it out for a 95 Manual trans..

Was wondering if those years are interchangeable for the transmission even if they're different a and b styles?

I got pretty much the whole harness that runs around the engine bay, ecu, and fuse box underneath the hood. Slave Cylinder, Shifter Cables, Transmission mounts, Clutch Pedal Assembly, Shifter, Clutch line to transmission.

What else may i possibly need other than Clutch and Flywheel.

I didn't know if i needed the wiring for the sensor on the clutch pedal for when it is depressed all the way. Therefore i would've had to remove the inner fuse box, Yes or no?

Also would i need to change my axles or any other parts?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
ModeratorbullettdsmMar-13-10 02:57 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8420, "RE: Swapping a Chrysler tranny for the 5 speed manual, i have ?'s.."
In response to Reply # 0

Hmm, first off the 95 and 98 5sp tranny's are interchangeable.

I'm trying to figure out what you are doing. Are you going from auto to manual?

Captain Caveman

96 RS Turbo 11.414 @ 119.62 MSNS, Crower 2 NA cams, BW366, 10.5 comp, UDP, 60mm TB, W/A intercooler, 3.55 tranny 567.9whp 430tq
97 RS NA 13.188 @ 103.87 MSnS powered 12.5 comp, Crower 3's and 219.4whp with 175tq
98 RS DD 12.5 comp on stock ECU, LTH, Crower 2's, Koni, GC, Hypercoil, DG hats
99 OZ 5sp Stocker 15.856 @ 85.97
99 GS stocker auto 17.7@77mph!

wiki home page:http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=bullettdsm

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

astaindsoul5446Mar-13-10 06:41 PM
65 posts,
#8421, "RE: Swapping a Chrysler tranny for the 5 speed manual, i have ?'s.."
In response to Reply # 1

Yes i am trying to swap a manual in. I have had too many tranny problems with the automatic and just wanna finally get a manual.

I need to know if the ECU's are interchangeable or Do i have to get the same year..?

Also i was looking for some parts i forgot and/or parts i may need

ModeratorCorbinMar-13-10 07:25 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2552 posts,
#8422, "RE: Swapping a Chrysler tranny for the 5 speed manual, i have ?'s.."
In response to Reply # 2

This page will be helpful ATMT

Your life will be easiest if you get a 1998 MT ECU and keep your current harness.

Corbin
'95 ESI-T

Now with more power and fewer leaks

Humble servant of the Wiki

astaindsoul5446Mar-16-10 12:44 PM
65 posts,
#8428, "RE: Swapping a Chrysler tranny for the 5 speed manual, i have ?'s.."
In response to Reply # 3

Well the other day i found a 95 with tranny and complete harness. I grabbed those and also the ecu from it and then realized that they weren't any wheres near similar. So i went back up to the junkyard and found 1 out of a 97.

The junkyard i went to only had 3 2G eclipses' and 2 were 95's. 1 had an auto and the other had a stick, the 97 was also a stick. I am going to be taking back the 95 ecu and most of the harness since i don't need it..

I have a 98 Eclipse GS if you were wondering haha.

I need to know if the 97 Ecu would work right?

Or would anyone know where i could get a 98 GS M/T Ecu?

ModeratortekleinMar-16-10 07:10 PM
Member since Nov 04th 2007
1699 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#8429, "RE: Swapping a Chrysler tranny for the 5 speed manual, i have ?'s.."
In response to Reply # 4
Mar-16-10 07:11 PM by teklein

Originally posted by astaindsoul5446
Well the other day i found a 95 with tranny and complete harness. I grabbed those and also the ecu from it and then realized that they weren't any wheres near similar. So i went back up to the junkyard and found 1 out of a 97. The junkyard i went to only had 3 2G eclipses' and 2 were 95's. 1 had an auto and the other had a stick, the 97 was also a stick. I am going to be taking back the 95 ecu and most of the harness since i don't need it.. I have a 98 Eclipse GS if you were wondering haha. I need to know if the 97 Ecu would work right? Or would anyone know where i could get a 98 GS M/T Ecu?

You could post a WTB for a 1998 MTX ECU.

The 98 and 99 ECU's are interchangeable. When I looked at the pin outs for both they are the same. Alldata provided the pinouts btw.

I use a 99 ECU in my 1998, and another guy runs a 1998 in his 1999.

95, 96, and 97 are all different.

baconater3000Apr-10-10 09:14 PM
Member since Aug 11th 2009
104 posts,
#8445, "RE: Swapping a Chrysler tranny for the 5 speed manual, i have ?'s.."
In response to Reply # 5

I thought you only changed the ecu to show a higher redline?

‹noboost› Four gee's and 63 years ago, our forefathers brought forth on this continent, a new dsm, concieved in Normal Illiniois...

Originally posted by barza21
barza + turbo = honda owning!!!!

RoninEclipse2GApr-11-10 01:10 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#8446, "RE: Swapping a Chrysler tranny for the 5 speed manual, i have ?'s.."
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by baconater3000
I thought you only changed the ecu to show a higher redline?

It also prevents the CEL because the ecu is looking for the auto trans sensors. I have heard that other oddities can occur because the fuel maps are a little different from the kickdown and such

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #8418 Previous topic | Next topic