Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #5663
View in threaded mode

Subject: "is my clutch toast?" 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic
chronicshitAug-23-06 05:12 AM
Member since Feb 18th 2006
254 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#5663, "is my clutch toast?"
Aug-23-06 05:22 AM by chronicshit

comin up to a traffic light i decide to shift into 1st before i get there so i can make a quick right turn. pushed the clutch in and tried switching to first but it wouldn't go into gear so i sort of forced it and the damn thing just popped. now whenever i push the clutch pedal in and out it feels like its not grabbing onto anything. when i turn the car on in neutral it makes a clicking sound. when i turn it on in 1st gear the car jerks back and forth as if my clutch is not pressed in. clutch was replaced with a new stock one last year. im running 10 pounds of boost. could that be why the thing crapped out so quick? could there be something else wrong with it?

*edit* sorry mods, please move to manual trans. thanks.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2
WickedESiAug-23-06 05:33 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3090 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#5664, "RE: is my clutch toast?"
In response to Reply # 0

Hate to tell you, but your clutch is probably fine (other stock it should be slipping at 10 psi), it's the 1st gear syncnros that are f'd up.

You're not suppose to shift into first other than from a stop.

The gear ratios between 1st and 2nd are very large, and trying to shift into first while moving is very hard on the 1st gear syncro. When you forced it is when you did the damage.

Joel Baldridge, ASE Certified Master Technician, Audi Certified Expert Technician

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

chronicshitAug-23-06 05:42 AM
254 posts,
#5665, "RE: is my clutch toast?"
In response to Reply # 1
Aug-23-06 05:47 AM by chronicshit

you know what, your probably right. it was my first time actually doing that and im sure thats why it fucked up. stupid me. oh well, thanks for the help dude. btw how much would a 1st gear syncro cost? i think its probably time to rebuild the tranny anyways since it shifts pretty bad and sometimes slips out of 5th on the highway.

BlizareAug-23-06 06:38 AM
Donating 2GNT member
7595 posts,
#5666, "RE: is my clutch toast?"
In response to Reply # 2

dont ya hate that "I just got it running good and now something else is fucked" feeling?

I eat emo kids for breakfast

1995 Eagle Talon (SOLD)
72' SuperBeetle
72' Standard Beetle
56' Deluxe Beetle

chronicshitAug-23-06 07:41 AM
254 posts,
#5667, "RE: is my clutch toast?"
In response to Reply # 3
Aug-23-06 07:50 AM by chronicshit

ive been getting that feeling ever since i bought the damn car 3 years ago. 4 weeks ago one of my calipers fell off because my brakes pads were gone so i put in new rotors and brakes, the week after my ecu fried and all the wires melted, the week after my alternator took a shit and killed my battery in the middle of a highway and i almost got smoked by a minivan because there was no power left to turn the "my car is fucked!" lights on, and 5 days ago part of my axle fell off because one of my balljoints broke off and the axle scraped the shit out of my rims from the inside, now this. pfffft, never ends

edxmonAug-23-06 08:19 AM
Member since Jul 26th 2005
1006 posts,
#5668, "RE: is my clutch toast?"
In response to Reply # 4

wholy phucking shiat, i must be really lukcy then (plz dont jinx me) other than the fried IAT wires, ive been all good with this car...besides the leaking VC gasket, and the shaking when taking of from 1st...and the fact that some times my clutch stays in...other than that ...DANG

P.S. why do u guys think it is? randomly driving, when i press the clutch in it STAYS in , as in the Pedal comes back to its position but its all wobbly and has to pessure to it. I just pump it a couple of times and it comes back out. BLeed the master cylinder? this thing is 157k miles old.

Originally posted by turbo8u
his girl kept looking out and down my car like uh ok we're in this 100 whatever thousand dollar car and that little whatever it is just raped us.... turbo screamed past the window like a vortex of ownage :-P robbing his engine of all the air around, and thats how i like it

Originally posted by ez
I came across a huge sack of walnuts in my grandmas garage - I better make use of them.

I contributed to the wiki! My Page: edxmon

WickedESiAug-23-06 08:52 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3090 posts,
#5669, "RE: is my clutch toast?"
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by edxmon
wholy phucking shiat, i must be really lukcy then (plz dont jinx me) other than the fried IAT wires, ive been all good with this car...besides the leaking VC gasket, and the shaking when taking of from 1st...and the fact that some times my clutch stays in...other than that ...DANG P.S. why do u guys think it is? randomly driving, when i press the clutch in it STAYS in , as in the Pedal comes back to its position but its all wobbly and has to pessure to it. I just pump it a couple of times and it comes back out. BLeed the master cylinder? this thing is 157k miles old.

You thread hijacker you...

I would try bleeding all that old fluid out first. It sounds like you may have a sticking master or slave cylinder and/or air in the system.

Joel Baldridge, ASE Certified Master Technician, Audi Certified Expert Technician

edxmonAug-23-06 10:57 AM
Member since Jul 26th 2005
1006 posts,
#5670, "RE: is my clutch toast?"
In response to Reply # 6

and if the cylinders are sticky, would i have to replace them? im not a mechanic at all. ill try to find my chiltons and go out there right now and bleed the things u mentioned.

Originally posted by turbo8u
his girl kept looking out and down my car like uh ok we're in this 100 whatever thousand dollar car and that little whatever it is just raped us.... turbo screamed past the window like a vortex of ownage :-P robbing his engine of all the air around, and thats how i like it

Originally posted by ez
I came across a huge sack of walnuts in my grandmas garage - I better make use of them.

I contributed to the wiki! My Page: edxmon

WickedESiAug-23-06 03:50 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3090 posts,
#5671, "RE: is my clutch toast?"
In response to Reply # 7

Yes, you would have to replace them if bleeding doesn't help. Just make sure you bleed it correctly! It's done just like brakes.

chronicshitAug-23-06 06:26 PM
254 posts,
#5673, "RE: is my clutch toast?"
In response to Reply # 8

ok, found a used transmission today. a buddy of mines has a totalled avenger and says the tranny works perfect. will it just swap out with mines? sorry, did my 2 minutes of research with no luck

cc8ballaAug-24-06 04:58 AM
Donating 2GNT member
451 posts,
#5675, "RE: is my clutch toast?"
In response to Reply # 9

Originally posted by chronicshit
ok, found a used transmission today. a buddy of mines has a totalled avenger and says the tranny works perfect. will it just swap out with mines? sorry, did my 2 minutes of research with no luck

Yup, exact same tranny, linkage should work as well, since they are basically the same car.

Jason|1997 Eclipse RS

I contributed to the wiki!

happy p'ple

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #5663 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic