Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #4002
View in threaded mode

Subject: "have 95talon 420a MT,is this Tranny,clutch or both?" Previous topic | Next topic
1995talonFeb-13-05 08:43 AM
Member since Jan 27th 2004
626 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4002, "have 95talon 420a MT,is this Tranny,clutch or both?"

ok to begin the car sit for about 2years with a thrown rod and about 4mo's ago i just had a motor put into the car.as soon as i got it back i noticed that everytime i would take off from about 2-3k it would POP REALLY LOUD and if you push it like you would normly(mainly going up hills) i get this really loud grindin noise that i cant put into words.i took it back to the shop and they said that i had a bad lower ball joint and that was the couse of the poping,well i took it to the dealer and they replaced both lower arms and it still has the poping.

with what little i know i would guess and say its the drivers side axel but another shop looked at them for me and said they were fine they also said that the poping and grindin was the rear motor mount but to be sure leave the car with them and they would look over it and tell me what it was.well when i went to pick the car up they said the motor mount was in great shape and they didnt know WTH was cousein the poping/grindin but it was indeed coming from the tranny.

ok next is when the car is idel and in N i will get this ratting that goes away when i push the clutch.one day when i was checkin the tranny levels i had both sides of the front end on jacks and started the car and left it in N both tires started turnin and wouldnt stop with the pass side going much faster..i had the ratting checked out by 3 ppl and they said it was the throw out bearing and that it would be ok for a while but soon it would become very hard to shift and would wear out the clutch.well yesterday i took the car out and everytime i had to shift it took everyting i had to get it in a gear.i also noticed that the pedel was very lose and it used to be very tight..

also another thing i left out is that at 1st startup of the day onice i start the car and pop it in N and release the clutch it feels like its still in gear with the rpm's dropin just a bit and the clutch pulling the car some.the 1st time i noticed this it killed the car just like it would if you release the clutch in gear.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneFeb-13-05 09:12 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4006, "RE: have 95talon 420a MT,is this Tranny,clutch or both?"
In response to Reply # 0

The rattle is likely the TO bearing. Not serious.

The tires spinning is normal. You have a tight bearing on a speed gear. At the worst, it could be seizing. Doubt it, though.

You have a clutch hydralics issue - leaking master or slave.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

1995talonFeb-13-05 11:49 AM
626 posts,
#4008, "RE: have 95talon 420a MT,is this Tranny,clutch or both?"
In response to Reply # 1
Feb-13-05 11:56 AM by 1995talon

Originally posted by DarkOne
The rattle is likely the TO bearing. Not serious. The tires spinning is normal. You have a tight bearing on a speed gear. At the worst, it could be seizing. Doubt it, though. You have a clutch hydralics issue - leaking master or slave.

i could understand that the lose pedel and hard shiftin would seem like a leak somewhere,i havent really checked that out yet as ive been bizzy as hell and sick but i havent seen anything leakin on the ground after the mech replaced the headgasket.you very well coudld be right about that and it would be very nice if thats all that it is but what would be couseing the poping,grinding and the drop in rpm's with the car being pulled by the tranny at 1st start up?

also another thing that may help in finding out what is wrong is that when i pulled this tranny off the bad block it wouldnt slip off at all like ive been told that it should.i had to take a scocket and remove the bolts on the flywheel/clutch thur the starter hole leavein the clutch in the tranny housein.and from what ive been told you only need to remove the tranny-block bolts then slip the tranny off with the clutch staying on the flywheel-crank side.the guy told me that sounded like the clutch was jamed on something since it should have slid right off and stayed on the flywheel.

i was going by what i was told about how to remove the tranny from the block and removed the outside bolts that hold it to the block then tried slidin the tranny off hell i even had someone hold the tranny and i pulled on the block hoopin it would give but it didnt so i had to remove the flywheel bolts then it came right off.so what should been the norm way to remove the tranny?

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneFeb-14-05 04:12 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#4011, "RE: have 95talon 420a MT,is this Tranny,clutch or both?"
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by 1995talon
so what should been the norm way to remove the tranny?

The way you did it is the right way. Or rather, not the wrong way, but the easier way. He's thinking in terms of a non-modular clutch, and ours is not such a clutch.

If its leaking at he master or slave, you won't necessarily see any fluid on the ground. Usually not.

If the car is moving in neutral when you first start it, it sounds like you have a speed gear that's either dragging or binding up. Have you changed your trans fluid recently?

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

1995talonFeb-15-05 01:16 AM
626 posts,
#4021, "RE: have 95talon 420a MT,is this Tranny,clutch or both?"
In response to Reply # 3
Feb-15-05 01:20 AM by 1995talon

Originally posted by DarkOne
Originally posted by 1995talon so what should been the norm way to remove the tranny?
The way you did it is the right way. Or rather, not the wrong way, but the easier way. He's thinking in terms of a non-modular clutch, and ours is not such a clutch. If its leaking at he master or slave, you won't necessarily see any fluid on the ground. Usually not. If the car is moving in neutral when you first start it, it sounds like you have a speed gear that's either dragging or binding up. Have you changed your trans fluid recently?

well you were right about the fluid.i went out to get my little girl from school yesterday and i had no clutch at all.checked under the hood and saw the small resavoir on the far drivers side didint have any fluid in it.i didnt see any leaks at all under it,it looked very clean from what i saw..

anyways i had givin the mech 2 bottles of clutch fluid to put in when they were installing the motor but they didint use either of them..so i poured some in and pumped my pedel and it got better but still a bit lose.also i didnt hear that ratting after i put the fluid in.

at 1st it was silk best it has ever been.then it started getting harder to shift like it always had been,then at last it was about as hard to shift as it was the other day.and when i stoped to pick up my girl i checked the fluid and it didnt drop any.

im check the fluid level again here in a min,see how everything acts at 1st start up and take my girl to school in the car.if the rattin, stops,and the shiftin gets alot better then we can say its a leak some where,but what is causeing all that poping and grinding?

and about the tranny fluid the mech said they put new fluid in it after they has installed all of it.and i was checking it when i saw the tires spining and it was up to the right level..

1995talonFeb-15-05 01:53 AM
626 posts,
#4022, "RE: have 95talon 420a MT,is this Tranny,clutch or both?"
In response to Reply # 4

well this moring its in bad shape..

checked the fluid and it was right where i filled it to yesterday.

got in and pushed the clutch and it was very lose again.

started it in N and the car still moved(i do have the e break on so its not that)

the rattin came back for just 5 sec's then stoped on its on and never came back

i pushed the clutch and tryed to shift into 1st and it wouldnt go AND the rpm's start droping with the car getting pulled like its in gear and you start to release the clutch,it never did this b4.

so i cut it off and it shifts great.start it up and it would go in to any gear this time but after i moved it into N then tried to go back into gear it wouldnt.

what ever it is its getting worse..HELP

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #4002 Previous topic | Next topic