Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #1989
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Cant catch 2nd while spinning?" Previous topic | Next topic
RyaN95i4Sep-25-03 05:55 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2152 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1989, "Cant catch 2nd while spinning?"
Sep-25-03 05:59 AM by RyaN95i4

Went to the track last night,and top of 1st spins so much, that the car wouldnt catch 2nd for shit.

I was turning almost 8K rpms before the tranny would finally get into 2nd. I tried feathering the throttle at the top of 1st once, and it didnt help, and obviously ran a slower time

Do any of you guys making decent power have the same problem?

It really made me wish i had gone for the 5spd swap, as it would have been nice to short-shift into 2nd instead of waiting for the computer to decide when it was ok to shift (and waiting till 8K rpms :o )

95 Avenger
ATX->MTX Swap
Holset HX40 @ 26 psi

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
ModeratorCorbinSep-25-03 06:09 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2552 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1990, "RE: Cant catch 2nd while spinning?"
In response to Reply # 0

I definitely don't have this problem. But, wouldn't your ECU cut fuel before you ever made it to 8K?

Corbin

'95 ESI-T
HRC+FMIC+ETC...

Gimme fuel...Gimme fire...Gimme that which I desire

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

RyaN95i4Sep-25-03 08:02 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2152 posts,
#1992, "RE: Cant catch 2nd while spinning?"
In response to Reply # 1
Sep-25-03 08:05 AM by RyaN95i4

thats what I would think, but the car never bounced off the limiter.

My tach is off (i have the 5spd tach), so its prolly more like 7500rpm, but still

where is the atx ecu's fuel cut supposed to be set at?

I was talking to a gtp gran prix owner who was running high 12s/low 13s, and he told me he just put in a new torque convertor and was having problems with bouncing off the limiter also...could a higher stall be part of the problem? i dont see how it could, just odd how two dif atx cars w/ new torque convertors have similar situations

Doug - how your car's 1-2 shift?

95 Avenger
ATX->MTX Swap
Holset HX40 @ 26 psi

ModeratorCorbinSep-25-03 08:58 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2552 posts,
#1993, "RE: Cant catch 2nd while spinning?"
In response to Reply # 2

I once set the rev limit on my secondary injectors to 7000 RPM. My stock rev limit was at 6500 RPM. When I hit the top of first at around 6500 RPM, the engine just kept rev'ing and didn't shift until I let off. I know it hit 7000 RPM or so. The stock ECU cut fuel at 6500 RPM, but the EIC kepts supplying fuel with the secondaries all the way to 7000 RPM. It took me a while to figure out what happened, but I figured out that I need my rev limits set at the same RPM. Perhaps you have a similar situation?

Corbin

'95 ESI-T
HRC+FMIC+ETC...

Gimme fuel...Gimme fire...Gimme that which I desire

RyaN95i4Sep-25-03 09:59 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2152 posts,
#1994, "RE: Cant catch 2nd while spinning?"
In response to Reply # 3

could very well be, ill turn the EIC cutoff down to the stock fuel cut point.

as it is now, i have the eic fuel cut set at the same point as the 5spd fuel cut point, i guess i forgot the two ecu's have different fuel cuts when i was setting it up

95 Avenger
ATX->MTX Swap
Holset HX40 @ 26 psi

thedawgSep-27-03 08:23 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
#2004, "RE: Cant catch 2nd while spinning?"
In response to Reply # 4

Whoah that's bad... right where fuel needs are highest, you lose 235 cc of fuel! :o

I usually launch in 2nd and maybe it's just in my mind, but shifting up to Drive helps it to shift sooner.

I noticed the tranny likes to take its sweet ass time when only one wheel is spinning.

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #1989 Previous topic | Next topic