Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #4116
View in threaded mode

Subject: "final drive mod = dissapointment" 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic
bloodyangel1Jul-23-06 03:24 PM
Member since Aug 02nd 2005
332 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4116, "final drive mod = dissapointment"

well after reading all the articles about this, and everyones opinion on it, i finally decided to do this mod, and did it over the weekend, and man am i dissapointed. i mean i read everyone saying things like they can spin tire from a dead stop, and going from 1-2, 2-3 and whatever, but i dont spin tire at all, not any gear, not from a dead stop, nothing, granted, i didnt really much low end, its all up top, and i do have an exhaust leak at the header/downpipe area, but really for real i hardly noticed any difference at all, at most it maybe gets to 20 quicker, but thats it.

it still shifts first at 40, then 2nd at 60 which is sad i think, it should be higher...i mean i did everything the article said to do, made sure my gears were 47/49, and the ones i bought were 46/50, and put a tranny cooler in as well, but it just seems like it didnt do anything really for real...has anyone else had this same problem, or has most people actually felt a difference, and can spin tire or keep up with manuals as some claim?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2
R34EclipseJul-23-06 04:20 PM
Member since Oct 01st 2005
706 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4117, "RE: final drive mod = dissapointment"
In response to Reply # 0

my best investment was the auto to manual conversion =) only way your gonna get a good feeling about the car.

-----------------------------------
97 RS-T, STAR Stage 2, HAHN FMIC, Decah Lambo Doors, 19" Axis Hiros, Built 420a - SOLD
2004 - G35 6MT 20" HREs & Tein Flex
-----------------------------------

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

MalenkoJul-24-06 05:30 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3534 posts,
#4118, "RE: final drive mod = dissapointment"
In response to Reply # 1
Jul-24-06 05:30 AM by Malenko

Originally posted by R34Eclipse
my best investment was the auto to manual conversion =) only way your gonna get a good feeling about the car.

I dunno, I got this pretty metal snail on my exhuast manifold that gives me a good feeling about my car.......

thedawgJul-24-06 07:36 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
#4119, "RE: final drive mod = dissapointment"
In response to Reply # 2

No matter what gears you have, you still have a 140hp engine coupled to a ~30% loss transmission from a minivan, in a car that weighs 2900lbs.

Anyone spinning tires with an automatic either has a turbo or is driving on ice covered by a large oil spill.

The specs for the final drive mod improvement were posted years ago, and my pics are still hosted.
http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=33&topic_id=2361&mesg_id=2361&listing_type=search

My results were: 0.57 seconds quicker 1/8 mile, 2mph faster.
This would probably translate to a 1+ second improvement and 4-5mph gain in a 1/4 mile. Hardly life-changing.

Keith2172Jul-25-06 11:09 AM
Member since Jan 16th 2004
1281 posts,
#4120, "RE: final drive mod = dissapointment"
In response to Reply # 3
Jul-25-06 11:11 AM by Keith2172

.5 seconds is definately worth $100 and a half day of work. It's still a slow turd, but a half second faster slow turd!

Final Drive mod and TQ red. mod gained me about .8 seconds at the track (shifting vs. leaving it in drive) That's significant enough.

Just don't go expecting improvments to come in leaps and bounds on these cars, it doesn't work that way.

Representing the Central Cali chapter of 2GNT!
(I think I'm the only member )

mcgyvrJul-26-06 06:09 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3121 posts,
#4124, "RE: final drive mod = dissapointment"
In response to Reply # 4

.5 seconds in the 1/8th mile is a HUGE difference...
1 second in the 1/4 mile is a HUGE difference

I could spend 1000 bucks in bolt ons and never see that much difference..

moral to this story is the final drive mod IS easily worth the 100 bucks you spent..

1998 dodge avenger 4 cyl AT
Mods are:
Not enough

bloodyangel1Jul-26-06 11:00 AM
332 posts,
#4127, "RE: final drive mod = dissapointment"
In response to Reply # 5
Jul-26-06 11:02 AM by bloodyangel1

well your right, that would be worth it, if it actually felt like i gained that much, but it doesnt. it seems like i have no high-end power now, like once i hit 50, it takes forever for the car to go anywhere, and i just hit 60 at the end of 2nd gear, someone posted his speed difference on here after doing FD and said his 2nd gear got him to 72, how in the hell is he getting 12 mph more than me after doing this and im not???

Keith2172Jul-26-06 01:57 PM
1281 posts,
#4128, "RE: final drive mod = dissapointment"
In response to Reply # 6
Jul-26-06 01:57 PM by Keith2172

What other transmission mods do you have and what size tires are you running?

bloodyangel1Jul-28-06 01:37 AM
332 posts,
#4133, "RE: final drive mod = dissapointment"
In response to Reply # 7

just final drive with a tranny cooler. and i run 215/45r17 sonars, on nippon lite-star rims, they weight 13-14lbs each

thedawgAug-02-06 02:16 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
#4139, "RE: final drive mod = dissapointment"
In response to Reply # 6
Aug-02-06 02:27 PM by thedawg

Originally posted by bloodyangel1
someone posted his speed difference on here after doing FD and said his 2nd gear got him to 72, how in the hell is he getting 12 mph more than me after doing this and im not???

If you're talking about me, it's because my car was turbo'ed at 5psi for both the before & after. It says so in the link I posted above- "I didn't feel it was fair to get 1/4 mile times since the car is turboed. Since it doesn't spool in 1/8 mile, these results should be repeatable by a modified nonturbo."

My turbo just barely started to spool at the end of the 1/8th mile, which is why I did the runs at an 1/8 mile track. It behaves a lot like a basic bolt-on MTX until the very end of the track where I pick up a couple mph.

Here is a video of my car in the same configuration running a 1/4 mile against a modded but non-turbo 2GNT MTX. You can see I don't pull on him at all until after the 1/8 mile & 3rd gear:

http://www.imagestation.com/4177721/4232743957

At any rate the moral of this story is put in a MTX or go turbo if you want to go faster.

A 1 sec difference may be a "huge improvement" but a 16 second car instead of a 17 second car is still slow.

Keith2172Aug-03-06 05:57 AM
1281 posts,
#4142, "RE: final drive mod = dissapointment"
In response to Reply # 9

Touche, 16 sec is still dreadfully slow.

BTW, you didn't just pull on that MTX, you gained several car lengths on him, makes me want to go turbo now, and that was 5psi?

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #4116 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic