Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Real Racing topic #4352
View in threaded mode

Subject: "double clutching....?" 1 | 2 | 3 | Previous topic | Next topic
mintsbroAug-05-04 05:58 PM
Member since Jul 23rd 2004
54 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4352, "double clutching....?"

what is double clutching....
why do you do it?
how do you do it?

eclipse's drift!!!!
"2wd can drift!"said HadesOmega.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2 | 3
WickedESiAug-05-04 10:29 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3090 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4353, "RE: double clutching....?"
In response to Reply # 0

Search for heal and toe shifting.

Forget the phrase double clutching.

Joel Baldridge, ASE Certified Master Technician, Audi Certified Expert Technician

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

EclipseRSTAug-06-04 10:04 AM
Member since Apr 17th 2002
5394 posts,
#4354, "RE: double clutching....?"
In response to Reply # 1

Double clutching is pointless in drag racing. Unless you're into drifting or Auto Xing then forget you ever heard of it.

HAVE: '04 Grand Prix GTP Comp G

a_miller_76Aug-06-04 03:20 PM
Donating 2GNT member
9515 posts,
#4355, "RE: double clutching....?"
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by EclipseRST
Double clutching is pointless in drag racing. Unless you're into drifting or Auto Xing then forget you ever heard of it.

Or driving old vehicles with no synchros.

Keep the fast and furious lingo off the board please. WE don't need you double clutching and shootin your NAWZZZZZZZZZZZ and blowin the welds on your intake.

ModeratorVX100Aug-07-04 02:41 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2831 posts,
#4357, "RE: double clutching....?"
In response to Reply # 3

Well, got to give him credit for trying to find out what it is instead of just talking the talk.

Double clutching is when you shift, you put the clutch in and put the car in neutral, then let the clutch out and rev the engine to where the rpms should be in the next gear, then push in the clutch, put it in gear, and let out the clutch.

The reason why you would do this is to get vehicle speed in gear and engine speed to match, so the transmission will actually shift.

Now, this is completly pointless to do in a modern car, because all that crap I said above is taken care of by syncros. Maybe on a car without synchros such as a 32 ford or a vintage pickup or a model A you'd need to double clutch, but not on anything you will be driving. The only exception would be if you have a bad synchro in one gear, and you'd only do it for that gear as a stop gap until you got that synchro fixed.

"Tutto fa brodo."

Todd Scungio
98 RS
15.173 @ 90.70 MPH

And also a 2011 Ralliart

turbo8uAug-07-04 07:17 AM
Member since Jun 15th 2003
10552 posts,
#4358, "RE: double clutching....?"
In response to Reply # 4
Aug-07-04 07:20 AM by turbo8u

Originally posted by VX100
Now, this is completly pointless to do in a modern car, because all that crap I said above is taken care of by syncros. Maybe on a car without synchros such as a 32 ford or a vintage pickup or a model A you'd need to double clutch, but not on anything you will be driving. The only exception would be if you have a bad synchro in one gear, and you'd only do it for that gear as a stop gap until you got that synchro fixed.

i disagree.

rev matching is also VERY good at keeping the weight transfer of the car in check under hard braking before cornering. think about it in this situation...a rwd viper...obviously you get all your braking done before entereing the turn. now go 120, brake hard before a turn and what does the car do? dive forward...and when you turn in the rear wheels bust lose because of the weight to the back was lost. now if you were to do the same thing, high speed trail brake with the ball of your right foot and rev match with your heel before you turn in the car wouldnt dive at all if done properly and the weight transfer to the front will be minimal.

traction is your best friend

i personally rev match all day long, i'll coast in neutral from time to time then rev match into 5th...i dunno its just as easy if you alwasy practice it and most people who ride with me dont even notice...besides other 2gnters of course its nicer to the synchros too and its really smooth if you can get it fast, its just something to fuck around with if you have a stick is all...just a specialized driving move for downshifting before turns

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

96 Black ESi
91 Red TSI AWD (RIP)
02 WRX

"turnin wrenches for nine hours in the pouring rain, just to get the beast up and running again"

Aerospace Certified TIG welder for Precision Castparts in Portland, OR.

JoshSpair.com

mintsbroAug-08-04 02:08 PM
Member since Jul 23rd 2004
54 posts,
#4362, "RE: double clutching....?"
In response to Reply # 5

well thanks for the advice...
and no i didn't get that term from the f&f movie i got it from someone on here who was blowing there tranny's in autox's and someone replied with "probably not double clutching" so i wanted to know what it was.
and for a f&f question i would have asked something like why the hell is there a 420a under the hood W/ headers and cai,and no turbo and jesse's like iiiit's got a t4 turbo system and yayayaya whatever.
i didn't know eclipse rs/gs were awd either (first drag scene)interesting????

eclipse's drift!!!!
"2wd can drift!"said HadesOmega.

TalontaxiAug-09-04 08:22 PM
Member since Jul 14th 2004
201 posts,
#4364, "RE: double clutching....?"
In response to Reply # 6

Perhaps someone can tell me how shooting to much nawwwz can make your floor board fly off?

turbo8uAug-09-04 08:59 PM
Member since Jun 15th 2003
10552 posts,
#4365, "RE: double clutching....?"
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by Talontaxi
Perhaps someone can tell me how shooting to much nawwwz can make your floor board fly off?

dsmtuners.com could definately explain that for ya why dont you cruise over there and ask

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

96 Black ESi
91 Red TSI AWD (RIP)
02 WRX

"turnin wrenches for nine hours in the pouring rain, just to get the beast up and running again"

Aerospace Certified TIG welder for Precision Castparts in Portland, OR.

JoshSpair.com

TalontaxiAug-10-04 07:13 PM
Member since Jul 14th 2004
201 posts,
#4366, "RE: double clutching....?"
In response to Reply # 8

Originally posted by turbo8u
Originally posted by Talontaxi Perhaps someone can tell me how shooting to much nawwwz can make your floor board fly off?
dsmtuners.com could definately explain that for ya why dont you cruise over there and ask

Am i missing something? I'm not quite sure what you mean. Does no one on here like dsmtuners.com?

BlueMoonEclipseAug-10-04 08:01 PM
Member since Sep 25th 2003
1352 posts,
#4367, "RE: double clutching....?"
In response to Reply # 9

Err no we dont...to much missinformation cost me a prety peny (ok yes it was my stupidity mkay!!)..i saw the light i became a 2gnt'er!

Plus you have the mandatory every 3rd post barage of why the 420a sucks and you are evil and will rot in hell for not having a 4g63...to repent and follow the path of the 4g63 and sell/burn/throw off a cliff your 2gnt

That and most the people here try actualy to help you..we share info and grow for the comon cause (viva la resistance!!)

vote for your choice of body style for Bluie!! http://www.cardomain.com/id/bluemooneclipse

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Real Racing topic #4352 1 | 2 | 3 | Previous topic | Next topic