Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Real Racing topic #1003
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Weight Reduction?" 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic
Edclipse96RSApr-21-02 01:35 PM
Member since Apr 05th 2002
26 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1003, "Weight Reduction?"

What are some good Weight Reduction mods I can do myself which are easy?

What are ones that won't really effect my car and are for show?
I do not want to get rid of any of my seats.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2
joshacuApr-22-02 12:38 AM
Old School 2GNTer
625 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1004, "RE: Weight Reduction?"
In response to Reply # 0

spare tire/ jack, rear and front washer resavoirs. there isnt a whole lot you can do with out making your car "ugly". i chose function over form though.
-Josh

weapon-r intake
greddy headers
apex-i n1 catback
afx udp
energy suspension
motor mounts
cf altezza tail lights
bored t/b
magnecore wires
hotter plugs

15.882@86.27

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Eclipse148celApr-25-02 05:50 PM
Member since Feb 02nd 2002
143 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1005, "RE: Weight Reduction?"
In response to Reply # 1

haha... love to see people ask about weight reduction. hate to see people wanting to leave "luxury" in the car though.

All i know is, my eclipse will someday be a weekend car only. This means: all engine rebuilds,turbo,racing clutch, no ac, no cruise, on and on and on.....

Later,
K

TimACRcoupeApr-29-02 04:05 PM
Member since Apr 23rd 2002
14 posts,
#1006, "RE: Weight Reduction?"
In response to Reply # 0

Aftermarket parts are a good start. Headers and smaller mufflers dump an amazing amount of weight. Like joshacu said, the window washer is another good 5 lbs if it's full. Sound insulation can be removed from under the carpet. If your car is like my Neon, there are a few useless braces and weights bolted here and there for decreased noise and vibration that can go. Lighter rims are also a plus.

9.50 @ 72.4 (1/8 mile) - 2.145 60' (street tires) - Dodges cones good too
Twickenham Auto Club
http://www.teamtac.org/
Tennessee Valley Region of the Sports Car Club of America
http://www.tvrscca.com/

TeamMichael_97RSApr-30-02 03:05 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
#1007, "RE: Weight Reduction?"
In response to Reply # 3

Yeah leaving luxery in with removing weight doesn't really happen.

Barckets and stuff can be removed or replaced if you want to go nuts.

Tim I saw your sig and saw 9.5 before I saw 1/8 mile....

Una salus victus.
It's not about being invincible, it's about being ready; for anything.

Michael J. Kulaga
e-mail: Michael_97RS@2gntDSM.zzn.com aol IM: MJKulga
http://highlander.dsmpower.com/

Injen CAI, 55mm TB, Hooker 4-1 Stepped Header, GS-T Muffler, AFX UDP, S-AFC, 8.5mm Magnecor Wires, Crane Fireball HI-6DI2, SS Clutch Line, NRG Susp. Motor Mount Ins., FU/RU/RL STBs, TSW Blade 17x7.5, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 215/45ZR-17. Front KVR Cross-Drilled Rotors & Carbon Fiber Pads

To Be Installed: P&P Intake Manifold 1/2, P&P Milled Head, Rear Disc Brakes, Rear KVR Cross Drilled Rotors & Carbon Fiber Kevlar Pads, SS Brake Lines

Firefly:
Mal: You don't know me, son, so let me put this to you plainly: If I ever kill you, you'll be awake. You'll be facing me. And you'll be armed.

2bFasterMay-27-02 07:49 AM
Member since Jan 03rd 2002
170 posts,
#1008, "RE: Weight Reduction?"
In response to Reply # 4

Taking the seats out are a quick process, I took all my seats out except for the drivers seat and it took me longer to find my 14mm wrench than it did to take them out. Two bolts in back of the seat, two nuts in front..then the rear seat pad easily pops out, and the seat back is also two 14mm bolts.. 15 minutes tops.. dont fill your gas tank up all the way either... I think 1 gallon of gas wieghs about 7 lbs (Im not totally posetive) so figure if you lose just 12 gallons that saves you nearly 90 lbs, and every hundred lbs is a tenth of a sec.

www.geocities.com/twobfaster
*Iceman CAI
*Konig Mozart Muffler
*17" Team Loco 134 rims
*225/45/17 Sumitomo HTRZ2 tires
*Aerospeed dual plane black spoiler
*Vis Racing Blitz F.E.
*Dodge Viper Yellow Paint
*Simpson 5 pt racing harness(for the auto-x

theallpowerfulmeJun-01-02 12:00 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1629 posts,
#1009, "RE: Weight Reduction?"
In response to Reply # 5

fiberglass parts

http://www.magnusmotorsports.com/fiberglass.htm

Lane Adams

1998 GST Spyder
1995 GSX
1995 TSI AWD

davedJun-01-02 03:34 AM
Old School 2GNTer
665 posts,
#1010, "RE: Weight Reduction?"
In response to Reply # 6

What you don't want to look like this:

Take the front and rear reinforcements that are located behind the bumpers, those things weigh alot. Be careful though, you don't want to hit anything if you have those removed. I have them takin out of my race car but that really see's only track use. In the 1st gen eclipe you have to custom make a bracket to hold the front bumper up, but on the 2 gen the bumper doesnt need that reinforcement it will bolt right back on.

1999 Eclipse RS (all show)
1990 Turbo Eclipse (race)

Dualgen2Jun-03-02 03:37 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3726 posts,
#1011, "RE: Weight Reduction?"
In response to Reply # 7

Take off exhaust. hehe. I think once I take car to track maybe Ill take off everything after the downpipe. That would sound so bad ass. hahaha. Anyone think thats a bad idea?
-Dave

2009 Corolla S - waiting until 2012 for my next toy!
*SOLD* 1992 3000GT VR4 - pearl white and 45,6xx miles!
*SOLD* 2007 Subaru Legacy GT sedan
*SOLD* 95 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 - BPU
*SOLD* 97 Eclipse GS Star Stage 2

theallpowerfulmeJun-03-02 06:07 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1629 posts,
#1012, "RE: Weight Reduction?"
In response to Reply # 8

you would lose a lot of horsepowah

Lane Adams

1998 GST Spyder
1995 GSX
1995 TSI AWD

fatchanceJun-03-02 11:24 AM
Member since May 08th 2002
761 posts,
#1013, "RE: Weight Reduction?"
In response to Reply # 9

Ok, can you take the back of the read seat out? I know the bottom part ins easy(I have an RS btw) and is it hard to put back in when ur done with it?
Also how much do the seats weigh I'm getting the car back from the body shop in a few days and may just yank the seats, and dump like a cloth over them so they don't look all cruddy

Phil

1995 RS
new engine, I think I'm just going to leave it stock now.

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Real Racing topic #1003 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic