Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Real Racing topic #467
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Has anyone redlined 5th gear???" 1 | 2 | 3 | Previous topic | Next topic
All4thaN0okieJan-30-02 01:05 PM
Member since Nov 19th 2001
501 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#467, "Has anyone redlined 5th gear???"

has anyone redlined 5th gear?? i'm just curious as to how fast that would be.... also... when you add HP to your car...will it only make it get to top speed faster..or will it raise the top speed???

'95 Eclipse RS
INTERIOR
-Sony CDXM 750
-2 JL Audio 12w0 subs
-Premiere Amp
-CompuStar 2WAS Alarm with Remote Start and Pager
EXTERIOR
-Enkei 15" wheels (came with the car)
-2nd Generation Altezza Tails
-Clear Bumper Lenses
-APC Speed Glo Mirrors (with turn signals)
-Red LED Washer Nozzles
PERFORMANCE
-K&N Filter

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2 | 3
Thunderous_TalonJan-30-02 01:17 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1422 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#468, "RE: Has anyone redlined 5th gear???"
In response to Reply # 0

N/A unless your going straight down a mountain its impossible to hit redline in 5th gear. the top speed doesnt change at all unless you have bigger rims and can get past the redline. i'm currently working on it with someone how to actually sneek past the redline. but i do believe we top out at 162 or so at fuel cut.

Original 15 of 2gnt.com

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

EsiTalon96Jan-30-02 03:08 PM
Member since Jan 23rd 2002
89 posts,
#469, "RE: Has anyone redlined 5th gear???"
In response to Reply # 0

The govener on your car doesnt let it go past 130mph because of the tires... they have mods to take that off, but you have to buy Z-rated tires.

SaberKhanJan-30-02 03:23 PM
Old School 2GNTer
994 posts,
#470, "RE: Has anyone redlined 5th gear???"
In response to Reply # 2

Actually, on the 2gnt Eclipse/Talon, there is no governor. None, nada. Zippo, el zero. As far as top speed, redline should check it at a hair over 150mph. I've seen about 6800rpm in 5th gear, so I wouldnt say its impossible N/A.

91 awd: 60-1, 880's, E-Prom, etc.
93 awd: JDM 6 bolt, K&N, full exhaust, Wally 255, otherwise stock.

R.I.P. the original "Factory Freak"
15.5's with short ram and catback only
1996 RS 5-speed

davedJan-30-02 05:35 PM
Old School 2GNTer
665 posts,
#471, "RE: Has anyone redlined 5th gear???"
In response to Reply # 3

Yup like he said, no governor for the non-turbo's.

1999 Eclipse RS (all show)
1990 Turbo Eclipse (race)

Fast420AJan-30-02 05:56 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4370 posts,
#472, "RE: Has anyone redlined 5th gear???"
In response to Reply # 4

RS_Guy went 172 mph in his eclipse.

current status unknown

http://hometown.aol.com/ohshootuhh/

Perf:
KYB AGX Struts
Neuspeed Sport Springs
5 Strut Bars (2 F/U, F/L, R/U, R/L)
Sprint Front Camber Kit
$15 Rear Camber Kit
Corbin's A/F Gauge
MSD DIS-2 Ignition System
Some Regrind Cams that need High Compression (which I don't have)
Ported Intake Manifold
Ported Throttle Body
Drop in K&N Filter and open airbox
Custom 2 1/2 inch exhaust with Dual DTM Muffler
Empty Catalytic Convertor
Energy Suspension Motor Mount inserts
Hurricane_GS Short Shifter
Symborsky Shift Kit
Clutchmasters Stage 3 Modular
225/50/16inch Wheels and Tires

Audio:
Alpine CD Head Unit
Alpine Flex4 25W X 4 for Fronts and Rears
Alpine V-12 450W X 1 for Subs
Infinity Reference Series 5 1/4 and 1 inch tweeter component systems for fronts and rears
Blaupunkt 3 way 6x9's in the rears
3 MTX 5000 10" 12 ohm subs running 4 ohms mono

Flame Red SRT-4 GT40,8.5:1 Built Shortblock, Brian Crower Stage 2 Cams, etc etc etc...

SaberKhanJan-31-02 03:52 AM
Old School 2GNTer
994 posts,
#473, "RE: Has anyone redlined 5th gear???"
In response to Reply # 5

Unless he had a tranny swap with different gear ratios, I dont see how. Also, I know he had 17" wheels, so that will throw his speedo off. Another thing. At anything above 100+mph, your speedo will be off. Very off. Thats why I go by the tach. If his speedo read 170, he was probably doing about 155. Also, the speedo only reads to 170, how could he see it reading 172?

1996 RS 5-speed

All4thaN0okieJan-31-02 05:21 AM
Member since Nov 19th 2001
501 posts,
#474, "RE: Has anyone redlined 5th gear???"
In response to Reply # 6

just curious...why is the speedo off after 100???

'95 Eclipse RS
INTERIOR
-Sony CDXM 750
-2 JL Audio 12w0 subs
-Premiere Amp
-CompuStar 2WAS Alarm with Remote Start and Pager
EXTERIOR
-Enkei 15" wheels (came with the car)
-2nd Generation Altezza Tails
-Clear Bumper Lenses
-APC Speed Glo Mirrors (with turn signals)
-Red LED Washer Nozzles
PERFORMANCE
-K&N Filter

Thunderous_TalonJan-31-02 05:47 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1422 posts,
#475, "RE: Has anyone redlined 5th gear???"
In response to Reply # 7

Actually SaberKahn it was a digital reading on RS_Guys car, he put up pics of it. I cant remember what it was on, i wanna say HKS Type 1 TT, but i think thats wrong... his tranny was stock as well.

Original 15 of 2gnt.com

SaberKhanJan-31-02 06:22 PM
Old School 2GNTer
994 posts,
#476, "RE: Has anyone redlined 5th gear???"
In response to Reply # 8

Well, if his transmission was stock, then yeah, its wrong. Check your speed versus RPM and how it changes in each gear. Going by numbers, 7k will be at a hair over 150mph He wouldve had to have been doing 9k or more to reach 170+mph.

1996 RS 5-speed

HadesOmegaJan-31-02 07:52 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4529 posts,
#477, "RE: Has anyone redlined 5th gear???"
In response to Reply # 9

Dang that's fast hehe I"ve never gone past 130. Need some Z rated tires first hehe. THe HKS Type 1 reads in kilo per hour though. So he'd need to convert it using the tach. Hehe is there a way to switch it to MPH? That would be nice.

http://www.hadesomega.info -car specz and movies 95 Eclipse RS | 76' 280Z | 89' MR2 | 99 Neon | 91 Zephyr
Who sez FF can't drift?

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Real Racing topic #467 1 | 2 | 3 | Previous topic | Next topic