Go back to previous topic
Forum nameIntroductions
Topic subjectAn Introduction
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=92&topic_id=989
989, An Introduction
Posted by Zardoz, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I just signed up and thought I'd say hello and introduce myself.

I've always liked the 2g DSMs but never seemed to get around to owning one for this reason or that, a big one being a 2+2 coupe doesn't fit my family of six very well. With my second son turning 16 this up coming summer I was looking for something sporty with air bags. In particular I was looking for something with engine troubles but a decent body. That way he and I could tear the engine down and rebuild it together. I found a '97 Talon ESi that fit the bill perfectly. And now I'm here! I've been up all night reading the articles here at 2GNT.com and decided this looks like the right place to get the info I'll need in up coming months.

Cars in general are nothing new to me. I've been wrenching on this or that since I was four, yes four. Did my first tear down and rebuild when I was 11. But I'm completely new to the specifics and nuances of the 420a and the 2GNT platform all together. So, I'm sure I'll be scouring the boards here for info and picking some brains for ideas.

I'll be posting the car's specifics in the "Your Car, Price, Mileage, and Date of Purchase! (POST HERE!!!!)" thread in a moment. So, you check that out if you like.

Later!
990, RE: An Introduction
Posted by red96rs, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Welcome to the site. There is information on anything and everything you ever need here. there is a link on the specifics of the 420a teardown and rebuild somewhere. im sure someone will drop the link on here for you. Good luck on your project. =)
991, RE: An Introduction
Posted by Fallen4ng31, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by red96rs
there is a link on the specifics of the 420a teardown and rebuild somewhere. im sure someone will drop the link on here for you.

http://www.2gnt.com/www/corbin/rebuild.html
Done.
Welcome to the site and best of luck with your new DSM. :thumbsup
992, RE: An Introduction
Posted by DR1665, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Welcome to the board. Always nice to hear from people who know their way around a garage. No doubt you're going to come across questions while doing your research. Feel free to post up questions as you need to. This community is second to none.
993, RE: An Introduction
Posted by cs82685, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Welcome. I hope you and your son are planning a performance build to make it a bit fun ;)
994, RE: An Introduction
Posted by DarkOne, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Welcome!
995, RE: An Introduction
Posted by xcasbonx, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Welcome sir. You're going to like it here. :thumbsup
996, RE: An Introduction
Posted by Zardoz, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

cs82685, yeah, I'm looking into what the options are for speed parts. I just want to go N/A for now and later when he's got some miles under his belt (and some to time to save up some money) then we're talking turbo. Which brings me to an interesting dilemma.

I'd like to keep the stock 9.6:1 compression ratio to keep power up for the time it's going to spend N/A but I know there's more power to be had with a lower static compression when it's boosted (more room to pack with fuel and air and therefore more room before you hit the limit on dynamic compression. ie; you can run more boost before you get detonation).

So, my two thoughts on the subject are build it solid (hopefully with a little more HP than stock) and replace the pistons when the time comes or run lower than stock compression pistons with a milled head to get the compression back up then when the time comes replace the head. I'm leaning heavily toward the piston swap for a number of reasons. What do you guys think?
997, RE: An Introduction
Posted by DR1665, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Zardoz
So, my two thoughts on the subject are build it solid (hopefully with a little more HP than stock) and replace the pistons when the time comes or run lower than stock compression pistons with a milled head to get the compression back up then when the time comes replace the head. I'm leaning heavily toward the piston swap for a number of reasons. What do you guys think?

If you're going to rebuild it now, might as well go with forged internals so you don't have to rebuild it again later. With boost in the forcast, I'd just go ahead and get the lower CR slugs. Each point CR is really only 4% change in BHP, so we're talking 5-6bhp. Not worth nitpicking. If it really bothers you, source a spare head and have it milled down to bring the CR back up a bit. Then, when the time comes to go really crazy, have the original head built and swap 'em.

Some good bolt-ons for now (and later) would be an underdrive pulley, the Jeep 60mm TB, and a nice clutch (check out SBC in our header). Otherwise, new upper and lower gasket sets from the dealership, water/oil pumps, and all the other little maintenance issues that come up. That should set you right.
998, RE: An Introduction
Posted by edxmon, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Hi and welcome :thumbsup

You should try to convince juan in the FS/WTB section to ship that GST exhaust to you! He is selling it for $10, throw in a 'lil extra for him + shipping, an you'll still have a good deal on a great upgrade part.
999, RE: An Introduction
Posted by twack, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
hi
1000, RE: An Introduction
Posted by DSMechanic97, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
hello
I generated this page in 0.0096731185913086 seconds, executing 7 queries.