Go back to previous topic
Forum nameTurbo/Nitrous Tech
Topic subjectWiring the Radiator Fans together?
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=84165
84165, Wiring the Radiator Fans together?
Posted by techboy, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Anybody here in the turbo forum do this?? My ambient engine bay temp seems to be so hot when I pop the hood. My temp. guage inside the car seems to be running about the same as stock, so I'm not super worried about coolant temp, just the bay itself. The FMIC blocking all the air flow, plus the addition of the turbo is killer. So I'm thinking if I wire the AC fan to the normal fan so that they both kick on at the same time, it should help circulate air more. Just curious if anyone has done this and what their results where? If so, did you have to buy a bigger relay?

PS - I did a search on this and found a decent thread for anyone else interested in various cooling ideas:

http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=71752&mesg_id=71752&listing_type=search
84167, RE: Wiring the Radiator Fans together?
Posted by Avenger, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
You could probably figure this out from the wiring diagram in the chiltons. Here's a previous post. You're basically jumpering relays. I've done this.

http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=44379&mesg_id=44379&listing_type=search#44436
84169, RE: Wiring the Radiator Fans together?
Hey, thanks a lot man, that's a great thread. I already printed it out. My car is still tucked away for the winter, but it's getting warmer here in Pa. so I'm starting to think about things. Any other thoughts on this subject guys?
84170, RE: Wiring the Radiator Fans together?
Posted by Kirby, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I have done this as well. The thread is correct, you just run jump wires from pin to pin and presto...
84174, RE: Wiring the Radiator Fans together?
Posted by micyek, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
this may sound completely retarded...but why does it have to be so hard? couldn't you just hard wire the the ac fan's pigtail into the other fan's pigtail? :shrug Or can't the relay take that much load?
84176, RE: Wiring the Radiator Fans together?
Originally posted by micyek
this may sound completely retarded...but why does it have to be so hard? couldn't you just hard wire the the ac fan's pigtail into the other fan's pigtail? :shrug Or can't the relay take that much load?

What's harder ... 2 3" pieces of wire that you jumper relays with (no crimping needed) or hacking up your existing harness to run over a very hot radiator and splicing into the other harness? This is a no brainer.

84179, RE: Wiring the Radiator Fans together?
Posted by baxsom, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
ok maybe i am completely retarded but i looked at the link provided on how to jump these relays and i dont see the order that is mentioned

my left row of relays goes

rad fan HI
rad fan HI (empty)
Rad fan LO
Cond fan HI
Cond fan LO

am i missing something??

should the second rad fan hi have a relay in it?

this is confusing
84183, RE: Wiring the Radiator Fans together?
The diagram refers to the pins on the relay.
84189, RE: Wiring the Radiator Fans together?
I understand the pins on the relay thing
but if i dont have the relays that are mentioned then how do i connect the two fans together

i only have one radiator fan Lo
and the the thread says to connect hi to hi and lo to lo

84190, RE: Wiring the Radiator Fans together?
Posted by Kirby, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
You will not have the second rad high relay. Basicly take rad high to cond high and rad low to cond low. Make sence?
84210, RE: Wiring the Radiator Fans together?
I'm assuming "Cond" refers to condenser, meaning the AC condenser? This will definitely be my first mod this summer.

For those of you who have done this, my original question remains ... has it helped cool the engine bay a bit?
84239, RE: Wiring the Radiator Fans together?
Posted by SilverBullet20g, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by techboy
I'm assuming "Cond" refers to condenser, meaning the AC condenser? This will definitely be my first mod this summer. For those of you who have done this, my original question remains ... has it helped cool the engine bay a bit?

yes it works great. I'm speaking from experience using the FAL dual fans that are meant for the 4G63 with a Fluidyne...

I went for the rewire method because the FAL fans have the bare wires coming out at the same location..Here is a old crappy picutre from my phone..This way back before fluidyne made a radiator for the 420A..I had to buy a 4G63 one and have RRE modify it.

Edit: New pic

84275, RE: Wiring the Radiator Fans together?
Ok, cool guys .... thanks for the info. I'm going to try this out.
84277, RE: Wiring the Radiator Fans together?
Posted by siueclipse, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I have the main fan hooked up like normal, but i have a relay on it so it will kick on the second fan at the same time. works nice and does help with the engine temp.
84278, RE: Wiring the Radiator Fans together?
Posted by XtremeRS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I wired up my condensor fan to be on at all times. This way, when I use the A/C, its already on, and it keeps air blowing over the turbo too, which is nice a thing to have. This also lets the ECU kick on the driver fan like normal, at approx 206 degrees if it should ever get that high. Stock fans, and stock radiator, 180 stat, with the condensor fan on always, my cooant temps are usually in the 180's to 190's. IMO, this keeps coolant temps more steady, rather than having the fans off, then both kick on at the same time(cools rapidly, fans off, then heats up rapidly, ect).
84537, RE: Wiring the Radiator Fans together?
Posted by speakersound, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Email me at tony@speakersound.com and ask me to email you back the diagram to wire both fans together using a relay.

Tony
CA
84566, RE: Wiring the Radiator Fans together?
i know this is an old post but i just got the diagram of how to wire the relay in
and just wanted to ask where the wire for the ac switch to the fan is

is it just one of the fan plug wires or is it located somewhere else

thanks
84641, ATTN: Xtreme
Sorry, to bring this back to life again guys, but i just got my car out yesterday ... My fuse box does have a HI and LOW for the normal fan, just the HI. I do have a HI and LO for the cond fan. In others words, my top 2 relay slots are empty. Am I missing a relay or something or other people in this boat?

Xtreme - What did you do to go about wiring your cond fan to be on all the time? I'm assuming it has something to do wit the relay in the fuse box and allow it to have constant power??
108305, RE: ATTN: Xtreme
Posted by 420agreenvilleSC, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I really really hate to bring this back but the #2 post in this thread... by Avenger... apparently his link is a great link to doing this but "page not found".

I've always wanted to do this. No writeups on this either. plz help mikey

EDIT: I've asked for help on this before... no replies :( http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=126686&mode=full
108317, RE: ATTN: Xtreme
mother fucking bump damnit. someone please. I know it's easy to do, but is it easy to type?
108318, RE: ATTN: Xtreme
Posted by Star Turbo Talon, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Use the schematic to jump the relays with the key on.
108319, RE: ATTN: Xtreme
i can't read schematics. i'm not good at electrical. I need steps, pictures, arrows and shit. rofl. well maybe not arrows and pictures, but you get it.
108353, RE: ATTN: Xtreme
bump. mikey needs steps to do this. I wanna wiki-add it after i figure it out. i'll even add pics :)
108488, RE: ATTN: Xtreme
Posted by Rax2, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Wish this thread was here when I boosted.. I wired the two fans together instead of the relay mod.. Cooling with both stock fans and rad works really well, and a little too well during freezing temps, as sometimes my car doesn't heat up to normal temps while on the hwy..
108489, RE: ATTN: Xtreme
Posted by PsychO, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Mikey...

http://www.vfaq.com/mods/wayback/2gcoolingfan.html
I generated this page in 0.01521110534668 seconds, executing 7 queries.